No announcement yet.

Drawing og Kelly's body in situ - IPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a detail from Chris Scott's enhanced MJK1 photo which shows that Kelly's head could not possibly be seen from behind the bed and also that the headboard had a horizontal bar at the top (looking rather like a stair bannister) which doesn't seem to show on the drawings. Also the chair only appears in one of the drawings.

There's something going on here but I'm not sure what.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mjkafter.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	658783

Name:	kelly headboard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	658784
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Given the combination of a disinclination on the part of the police to impart case-related information to the press and the lock-down of Miller's Court immediately upon discovery of the body, I very much doubt that a newspaper sketch artist would have been allowed into the court, let alone permitted to make a sketch of the crime scene with the body in situ. And since the windows were boarded up and the door padlocked shortly after the body was removed from the scene, I tend to think that the initial sketch was derived from a description provided by someone like McCarthy, and that any subsequent sketches were simply variations of the original.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.
      Last edited by Garry Wroe; 02-21-2010, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I quite agree with Gary. It is a fair bet neither artist got within a 100 feet of No.13--and certainly not when the body was still there. But such were the standards of journalism then. Having a picture, however stylized and accurate was more important than accuracy, as is quite apparent from some of the drawings of victims

Don.
        "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Yes, these 1888 drawings are imaginary bollocks.

Dreamed up for no particular reason,

And of no relevance to anything whatsoever
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Yep Stephen - sadly I reckon they are- as a by the by - where does table number 2 come from??- p'raps the police brought it with 'em....

Name:	mjk2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	658798
            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi Suzi,
              Table two is the washstand which has been depicted in another sketch, however then on the right side of the bed up against the partition.
              You can see some kind of bowl on a shelf below.
              Richard.

Comment

To put this illustration into context, I am attaching the complete "before and after" sketch from the IPN cover. The man with Kelly in the "before" part is obviously based on the Hutchinson description.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X