Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kensei View Post
    Warspite,

I don't suppose you saw a small printout of one of artist Jane Coram's reproductions of what Mary Jane looked like, laminated to protect it from rain? I left it at the grave last September. I'm assuming it's probably long since blown away in the wind.
    Hi kensei, I remember something like a print,thought it was of the virgin mary with a passage on it.Sorry,should have taken a photo.Are you able to show us the reproduction?

Comment

Warspite,

Thanks for asking, it prompted me to do a little searching and I came across a photo that someone must have taken not long after I was there, with my print still in place. It's at:

Close up shot of the grave of Jack The Ripper's final victim, Marie Jeanette Kelly. She was the youngest of the five victims and it was said she was the most attractive. Murdered in her small room in Miller's Court on Dorset Street 9 November 1888. The small picture on the left is an artist's rendition of what Mary may have looked like.

Wow, so cool to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
        Warspite,

Thanks for asking, it prompted me to do a little searching and I came across a photo that someone must have taken not long after I was there, with my print still in place. It's at:

Close up shot of the grave of Jack The Ripper's final victim, Marie Jeanette Kelly. She was the youngest of the five victims and it was said she was the most attractive. Murdered in her small room in Miller's Court on Dorset Street 9 November 1888. The small picture on the left is an artist's rendition of what Mary may have looked like.

Wow, so cool to see that.
        Sorry kensei, didnt see the print,but may have been behind the cross in amongst some plastic flowers,should have looked closer. Hope to go down again in few months,this time with camera and will have a look. The print is quite touching.Can you tell us more about it?

Comment

Jane Coram did a whole series of illustrations of the victims as they looked in life, and of the crime scenes as well. They used to be featured here on Casebook before the site crashed. MJK of course was the only one for which the face is approximate at best. Jane is a member here though she doesn't seem to chime in very often.

I see that new member Tenth Bell has just posted some pics on the "Mary Jane's Grave" thread showing the print was still in place in February. I placed it in September. I can't believe it survived the winter!

Comment

The caretaker at St Patrick's told me some years ago that Morrison's stone was removed because he was unable to make payments on it.

Having never arranged a gravestone myself, I can't say if this makes sense.

Comment

Resurrecting an old thread to ask if anyone has a photo of this headstone that shows its shape and/or surroundings and not just the text? It was long gone by the time I visited St. Patrick's for the first time.

Comment

Is it gone? Oh good. The poor woman has suffered enough indignities during her life and afterwards. She didn't need this one as well.

Comment

As was discussed in this thread, it was either smashed, stolen or otherwise removed a long time ago, perhaps even by Morrison himself. Reports of what exactly happened seem little better than rumors, but in any case it's not there anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Rixa View Post
                    Resurrecting an old thread to ask if anyone has a photo of this headstone that shows its shape and/or surroundings and not just the text? It was long gone by the time I visited St. Patrick's for the first time.
                    There is a photo of the whole stone (which was simply rectangular in shape) with Morrison laying flowers next to it in the 1988 book "Jack the Ripper- One Hundred Years of Mystery" by Peter Underwood, which is currently available on Amazon.com for only 45 cents.

I worry a little for the current "None but the lonely hearts" stone. Due to its small size, might it become some Ripper fanatic's collectible some day? I was there in 2008 and noticed that though it is heavy it is not anchored to the ground.

Comment

Kensei
                      I think this is the one you mean
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yup, that's the one.

Comment

Thank you for the information and the image, just what I was hoping for.

Comment

I'm surprised at how short it is--I remember a picture in my local paper when the stone was dedicated that showed Morrison leaning on it--it looked like it was taller than waist height. Interesting.

Someone refresh my memory--didn't Morrison have the stone placed on the wrong grave?
                            “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

I have read in several places that he marked the wrong grave, yes. Perhaps someone who saw it can still remember where it was?

I also seem to remember reading that Morrison had sought to obtain a spot for himself on St Patrick's. Was this just rumors, or is he buried there?

Comment

Working...
                              X