No announcement yet.

Kellys front door, why no blood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe all but the poorest men carried a handkerchief in those days, certainly in winter - it woudl be easy enough to open the door with a handky round the knob

In any event I'm sure in my own mind that whatever JtR wiped his hands on after this murder was burned in the fireplace. I'ts also likely that he carried gloves (and a scarf) as all but the poorest men would in winter, in the LVP, and put them on beofre going back out into the November cold

If Mary did defend herself briefly I think it shows that JtR either hadn't totally succeeded in strangling her before he used his knife, or that she was attacked when dozing rather than deeply asleep - demonstrating possible impatience on the murderer's part. Even though he was indoors I doubt he waited long or proceeded slowly, once he felt he had the conditions to strike

As a matter of tidiness could this thread not be moved to Mary's section where it properly belongs?
    Some might miss it here!
    Last edited by Sara; 12-21-2008, 06:46 PM. Reason: typos worse than usual

Comment

Kellys eyes

I read in Walter Dews memoirs that the Police took a few photographs of Mary Kellys eyes. Where are these pictures now....have they ever been seen?

Comment

Kellys eyes

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        I read in Walter Dews memoirs that the Police took a few photographs of Mary Kellys eyes. Where are these pictures now....have they ever been seen?
        Some serious investigation would have to be done, to uncover what is needed to satisfy the questions asked here. Scotland Yard is hiding something they do not want you to know. I do not believe that all is lost about the Ripper case.
        It is stored away somewhere in their files.

"All people lie" and Scotland Yard is no different.

BW
        "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.”
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Of all the missing artefacts I'd like to see re-emerge from the Ripper case, I have to say that that a photograph of Kelly's retina wouldn't be on my list. As a curiosity it might be mildly diverting, but it would add very little indeed to our knowledge of the case. In addition, considering how relatively easy it might be to forge, it's probably best not to wish for its return.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I believe i once heard that either French detectives had some pictures of the MJK scene, or that some of the pictures of MJK or the scene found there way to France. Does anyone have any more information on this? I very vaguely remember hearing something along those lines and hope someone can help clarify how much truth there may be to this.
            Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Comment

"parti pour toujours mon amour"

I hope the frenchy's do not have the pictures, for sure you will never hear of them again.

BW

"eines Tages werde ich ein großer weel sein"
              Last edited by BLUE WIZZARD; 12-30-2008, 01:33 AM. Reason: FORGOT PARTING WORDS
              "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.”
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                I don't think so, Stephen - it appears to be merely some creases in the bed linen. However, there are almost certainly fingerprints on her right calf.
                I dont see the handprint thingy in other copies I have seen via the internet so Im with you on the handprint. Besides... It dont take much police training to spot a clue like that. Im sure it would have trumped the grafito.

I dont know about any fingerprint. Maybe it will finally pin Cutbush to the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_Miller View Post
                  I believe i once heard that either French detectives had some pictures of the MJK scene, or that some of the pictures of MJK or the scene found there way to France. Does anyone have any more information on this? I very vaguely remember hearing something along those lines and hope someone can help clarify how much truth there may be to this.
                  There may well be some substance to that Ryan. There is a suspect that is linked with Paris, having committed murder by stabbing... and doing some mutilations apparently, with "unfortunate" profile victims, at the beginning of the 1880's. Look into Vasiliev, I believe thats the spelling, lots of stuff here on him, there may even be a reference in there somewhere about crime scene photos, I cant recall if there were.

Called himself the "Saviour of Souls."

Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                    There may well be some substance to that Ryan. There is a suspect that is linked with Paris, having committed murder by stabbing... and doing some mutilations apparently, with "unfortunate" profile victims, at the beginning of the 1880's. Look into Vasiliev.
                    Hi Mike,

You're thinking of Vacher, perhaps. There's a vague connection between him and the Kelly photo, but only inasmuch as the photo appears in a publication discussing Vacher, and other "sadistic crimes" written towards the end of the 19th Century. The actual connection is far more prosaic, as I explain below.
                    Originally posted by Ryan_Miller View Post
                    I believe i once heard that either French detectives had some pictures of the MJK scene, or that some of the pictures of MJK or the scene found there way to France. Does anyone have any more information on this?
                    A version of the familiar "full-length" photograph of Mary Kelly on her bed was published in a doctoral thesis entitled, in translation, "Disembowelment from a Medico-Legal Point of View" by Dr André Lamoureux in 1894. A print of that same photograph appeared in a text by Prof Alexandre Lacassagne, entitled "Vacher the Disemboweler and Sadistic Crimes" in 1899.

Robert J McLaughlin ("RJM" on Casebook) has extensively researched the saga of how these pictures ended up in French hands, but even he can't make the definitive link. The story of Robert's research is told in full in his fascinating book, "The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs" (2005), which is unreservedly recommended - but extremely scarce. Well worth tracking down a copy, but be prepared to pay for its rarity!
                    Last edited by Sam Flynn; 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM. Reason: Edited to incorporate both Mike's and Ryan's posts in one reply :)
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Bump up for yet another excellent thread!

15 years, my goodness!

RD
                      "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

... and I still say something was wiped off the back wall before the crime scene picture was taken

Comment

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
                          ... and I still say something was wiped off the back wall before the crime scene picture was taken
                          Imagine if there was, and it began with...

"The Jewes are the men..."

Crikey!

RD
                          "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

Imagine if there was, and it began with...

"The Jewes are the men..."

Crikey!

RD
                            Well there was talk of graffiti at Hanbury Street, debatable if there was after the double event so if there was some in Millers Court but it had to be wiped off before the photo like Goulston Street then yes it certainly would have been interesting.

Comment

Working...
                            X