Millers Court - the demolition picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Is it possible to zoom in any further, or, how close can we get in ?

Comment

• Hi Jon,

Unfortunately much of Miller's Court has already been demolished, and what's left (Mary's room especially) is mostly occluded by debris.

Back on thread at last! My apologies - again - for dragging this out. Just fighting my corner, you understand
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Hi Sam,

Many thanks for your reply.

Okay. Let's agree that the generally-accepted location of Elizabeth Prater's room [directly above MJK in Room 13] was wrong.

What does it matter in the grand scheme of things?

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
          Is it possible to zoom in any further, or, how close can we get in ?
          Hi Jon

The image used by Chris Scott at the start of this thread is a tiny part of the original photo and really cannot be enlarged any further without losing detail.
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Hi Simon,
            Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
            Okay. Let's agree that the generally-accepted location of Elizabeth Prater's room [directly above MJK in Room 13] was wrong. What does it matter in the grand scheme of things?
            What's the point of accuracy in general? My view is that, if we are to take this "Ripperology" thing seriously, we should insist on it. Heaven knows, this case is full enough of grey areas and myths as it is!
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Hi Jon,

Back on thread at last! My apologies - again - for dragging this out. Just fighting my corner, you understand
              As have I, although it seems with less glee and smiles than you, because people will buy that 2 excepts from 1 source saying something no-one else says, beats 8 contrary accounts all agreeing.....including the Times, because you said it.

Ive learned that unknowns like me, making some relevant observations and offering some well founded arguments that fly in the face of accepted beliefs...as yours do, take a pile of crap for it.

So....now that we all know the playing field better, back to that demolition.

Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                As have I, although it seems with less glee and smiles than you, because people will buy that 2 excepts from 1 source saying something no-one else says, beats 8 contrary accounts all agreeing.....including the Times, because you said it.
                I never said that "I live at Number 20 Room, Miller's Court, above the shed", and neither did I say that I "occupied the first floor front room" of 26 Dorset Street - so kindly don't vent your frustration on me.

You may be assured that I experience no glee in playing ping-pong with one who believes that totting up references from a clutch of often vague and decontextualised sources somehow trumps two very specific and logically consistent snippets of information. Especially when that information is taken from separate and detailed accounts, one apparently verbatim, published in a respected national daily.
                Last edited by Sam Flynn; 11-26-2008, 01:56 AM. Reason: punctuation
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hi Simon,What's the point of accuracy in general? My view is that, if we are to take this "Ripperology" thing seriously, we should insist on it. Heaven knows, this case is full enough of grey areas and myths as it is!

It's not just Ripperology; it's history. Ripperology is not a side-road of history. It's just as important to insist on accuracy in this area as it is in any other. No dedicated historian wants to mislead people, or rewrite history. If your instincts tell you this discrepancy is important, then it probably is. You're correct not to want to discard it until we have the information necessary to resolve the matter beyond doubt.
                  Last edited by Celesta; 11-26-2008, 02:08 AM.
                  "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I never said that "I live at Number 20 Room, Miller's Court, above the shed", and neither did I say that I "occupied the first floor front room" of 26 Dorset Street - so kindly don't vent your frustration on me.

You may be assured that I experience no glee in playing ping-pong with one who believes that totting up references from a clutch of often vague and decontextualised sources somehow trumps two very specific and logically consistent snippets of information. Especially when that information is taken from separate and detailed accounts, one apparently verbatim, published in a respected national daily.
                    Let me understand that statement.....you quoted the "specific and logically consistent quotes" from the Telegraph, one source, which within the quote itself offers us a geographical impossibility and the only reference of all papers that says "shed", and Im the one who quoted the London Times, and 7 other papers that made no mention of "shed" but all mention Mary being below Prater's room, and those are the ones you categorize as "a clutch of often vague and decontextualised sources"?

Calling the London Times particularly, a "vague and decontextualized source" is simply amazing to me.

And where did this come from .." and neither did I say that I "occupied the first floor front room" of 26 Dorset Street.

Not from the Inquest reporting of Telegraph coverage on this site, thats for sure. Seems to me you added to the prefix and suffix of the quote to make it work for you. The actual quote is" I live at 20 Room, in Miller's-court, above the shed. Deceased occupied a room below.

This has been an eye opening series of exchanges Sam, sadly ...I think its time to rest.

Best regards.

Comment

I never said that "I live at Number 20 Room, Miller's Court, above the shed", and neither did I say that I "occupied the first floor front room" of 26 Dorset Street .
                      Hi Sam

And you didn't tell a Star reporter in a personal interview 'She lived in #13 room and mine is #20 which is ALMOST ABOVE HERS (capital letters from the newspaper article, not me).

Many thanks for the Lodging House information. Very much appreciated. But I realised that I was late for work halfway through writing that post this morning and didn't get round to asking you what argument exactly were you rebutting when you said you thought Prater, when she said 'lodging house', was referring to #26 Dorset Street?

Best wishes

ps. Simon's being a bit mischievous today isn't he?

Comment

• Here's a rough sketch of Millers Court that took me well over 2 minutes to do.

Yes, I know, 1898

No sign of #20 though. Maybe that room was overlooking Dorset Street.

Click image for larger version

Name:	numbers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	655340

Comment

• Michael writes:

"people will buy that 2 excepts from 1 source saying something no-one else says, beats 8 contrary accounts all agreeing.....including the Times, because you said it"

That´s not true, Michael, just as it is not fair. I seem to remember that you participated in the posting on a thread just like this one a year or two ago, where I said exactly the same thing as Sam - well, to be more exact, I offered the possibility that Praters room stretched from a front to Dorset Street, to a window to the yard. I thought - and still think - that there is no way around the "snippets" that annoy you. To me it is pretty obvious that Prater lived in a fronting room over the shed.

Any which way, it is not as if mathematics and statistics rule the outcome of what is right and what is wrong. Such things would have provided us with a flat earth.

The best, my friend!
                          Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                            Michael writes:

"people will buy that 2 excepts from 1 source saying something no-one else says, beats 8 contrary accounts all agreeing.....including the Times, because you said it"

That´s not true, Michael, just as it is not fair. I seem to remember that you participated in the posting on a thread just like this one a year or two ago, where I said exactly the same thing as Sam - well, to be more exact, I offered the possibility that Praters room stretched from a front to Dorset Street, to a window to the yard. I thought - and still think - that there is no way around the "snippets" that annoy you. To me it is pretty obvious that Prater lived in a fronting room over the shed.

Any which way, it is not as if mathematics and statistics rule the outcome of what is right and what is wrong. Such things would have provided us with a flat earth.

The best, my friend!
                            Fisherman
                            Hi Fisherman,

I think youre right, I was unfair to Sam. You may consider that an apology for my anger Sam. Because my issues arent with him specifically at all, they are with the Math that gets done around here. I know you feel he is right, and on that thread you mentioned I think I mentioned that perhaps the room had fore and aft windows, because....a voice heard from Dorset Street cannot be isolated to have originated from that court...particularly by someone who was 2 seconds earlier in deep sleep. Of course I allowed that maybe both sides were correct to address the conflicts, which at a 1 to 8 ratio are visibly in evidence, and was informed my suggestion must be incorrect. It seems the truth is in who says what, not what evidence is used to support it.

And if we had a single source that said Elizabeth heard the voice "through the archway"...many here would be throwing numerous accounts out that say "as from", "seemed to proceed from" referring to the courtyard not the archway....if....a senior member here suggests it.

We have a single paper that printed words that spawned this, not the cumulative data. Ive always suggested here that anyone is entitled to their own perspective, and Ive rarely found that to be reciprocal.

Youve taken your share of abuse here too for ideas youve offered that are shaped by evidence and conjecture...so I know you can see this Fisherman. The irony is that Ive allowed myself to experience it anyway regardless of the unpleasant aspects, and in many cases, unfair dismissals. Why is a huge question to me these days.

I appreciate your "appeal", and wish you the best FM.

Cheers.

Comment

• We can only move with our own convictions and try to stay open to impressions and opportunities offered by others, Michael! I may add that much of your thinking in the Kelly case - something I have opposed numerous times in the past - is something I now embrace.
                              And so the exchange goes on, Michael - and it´s good to have you around as part of it!

The best!
                              Fisherman

Comment

• I know this has probably been discussed already, but who lives in the room over the passageway that you can see in all the photos and drawings of #13? There's a window over the passage, so I assume there's a room.

According to the evidence, Prater goes up past the old defunct door in Kelly's roon, which is obviously on the wall right opposite her front door. So Prater goes up those stairs and then...I assume there is some kind of hallway. However there is obviously also a room right over Kelly's room, or close to right over, as there is a window there. The builders wouldn't waste money on a window in a hallway! At least I'm pretty sure they wouldn't. In the Tenement Museum in New York they have recreated tenement life in a real tenement that was built in 1876. There were no windows or any kind of lighting whatsoever in the tenement halls until codes changed in 1905. I imagine the same kind of cheeseparing mentality went on here,

Comment

Working...
                                X