Welsh speaker required!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welsh speaker required!

I have been looking for some time for reports on the Kelly case in Welsh newspapers, to ascertain how the alleged Welsh connection was reported from that perspective
    I have now found some but, of course, they are in Welsh! What I am looking for is a Welsh speaker who can give me at least an idea of what these reports cover
    Any help available please?
    An example is below:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris Scott; 09-04-2008, 07:35 PM.

Chris,

Obviously Gareth (Sam Flynn) is your man.

Don.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation, Supe!

ANOTHER DREADFUL MURDER IN LONDON

WOMAN HORRIFICALLY CUT INTO PIECES

THE SAD DEMISE OF A WELSHWOMAN

UNPRECEDENTED EXCITEMENT IN THE CAPITAL

On Friday, the district of Whitechapel in the city of London was struck by an unprecedented horror that had taken place that morning at a lodging-house in Dorset Street, not far from where the recent murders occurred. A girl of the "unfortunate" class was the victim once again.

Her name was Mary Jane Kelly, about 25 years old, and it is believed that her father lives in Carmarthen. However, it is thought that Kelly was an adopted name, and that the deceased was Welsh, some of her neighbours stating that she could speak Welsh fluently. Up until a few days previously, she had been living with a man named Joseph Barnet as his wife; but the pair had quarrelled and separated.

The massacre was discovered by a young man [sic] who had gone to the house to ask for the rent. The corpse presented a terrible spectacle, and lay naked upon a pitifully poor bed. The ears and the nose had been cut off, the flesh had been sliced from one of the cheeks, and the neck cut through to the bone. In addition, one of the breasts had been cut off, and the flesh roughly hacked from the thigh until the bone was visible, whilst the bowels had been ripped out, as as in the previous murders, and internal organs taken and placed on the table near the bed. Apart from the above, a number of cuts had been made on other parts of the body.

A multitude of stories are being said about the murderer, but there isn't the least basis to any of them, nor any certainty about the time at which this atrocity was perpetrated. Unitl now, not a single clue about the murderer has been found. The bloodhounds, intended to be used to find him, are still missing. As it may be imagined, this butchery caused the greatest amount of excitement and fear among the lowest classes of the capital city's inhabitants.

Up until Monday nothing had been discovered that could shed any further light on the murder. Several persons were arrested on suspicion, but all of them have been released.

(From The Welsh Nation, 14th November 1888.)
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Thanks so much for that Sam
        Really appreciated
        If you want me to post the others I have (4 altogether) let me know
        regards
        chris

Comment

Post away, Chris! Happy to oblige.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Blimey, Gareth, that's impressive. I gave up by about the fourth line...drew the line at getting my eleven year old to give it a go!

*shuffles off to the bookcase shamefaced*
            best,

claire

Comment

many thanks Sam!
              This one, from 14 Nov 1888, Ive had to split into 3 parts:
              Attached Files

Comment

Another one from 14 Nov
                Attached Files

Comment

And the last one is from 17 Nov 1888
                  Many thanks again Sam
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                    This one, from 14 Nov 1888, Ive had to split into 3 parts
                    CRIMES AND ACCIDENTS

ANOTHER DREADFUL MURDER IN LONDON

THE HACKING OF THE BODY -- THE MURDERER
                    ESCAPED

PROBABLY THE WORK OF THE SAME HAND

Last Friday morning, as thousands entertained themselves at the annual parade of the Lord Mayor, all were shocked at the hoarse shouts of the newspaper boys announcing another horrifying murder had been perpetrated in Whitechapel. On hearing the details, there was no reason to doubt that the same person that had committed the previous atrocities had again stained his hands in the blood of this hapless woman. This belonged to the gory series that had prevailed in that neighbourhood.

The woman was of the same class and character as the others; and, in this sense, as well as the method in which the horror was perpetrated, nothing is new. However, in some other aspects, there is a notable difference between this latest villainy and those that preceded it. For one thing, it was not on the road, nor in an open-air square, that it happned, but in a house where the murderer deceived the unhappy woman. Miller Court [sic], Dorset Street, Commercial Street, where there are large store-rooms, dirty streets and a host of registered common lodging-houses, was the site of the massacre. Miller-court is barely 30 feet long by ten wide. On either side [of the Court] there are three or four small houses, whitewashed up to the first floor. Opposite this court there is a large hostel of ill-repute, with persons entering and leaving almost throughout the day and night. Nearby there's another hostel; and within a yard or two of the entrance to the court there is a lamp on the wall, that casts its light almost as far as the entrance. But perhaps the most remarkable thing about the place is the large poster affixed to the wall of the house next door, offering a prize of £100 for information about the previous murders.

In the second house in the court, sometime after Thursday midnight, this latest atrocity was committed. The murdered woman was barely known to her neighbours. "Mary Jane", some called her, and "Fair Emma" by others; but her full name was Mary Jane Kelly. She had been married, or at least she had lived for years with a man named Kelly, but he knew that she sustained herself by walking the streets. He parted with her because she was a quarrelsome drunkard. The only "friend" she had, as it is believed, was a woman named Harvey, who used to sleep with her on occasion. She [Kelly] went out as ususal on Thursday night, and she was seen in the neighbourhood around ten o'clock with a man, of whom there is no description. She was last seen at around half-past eleven, in Commercial Street; she was alone, and heading home. It is thought that she met the man [murderer] there in the street, and was persuaded into allowing him to return to the lodging with her, without her having drunk any more liquor. The pair reached the court around midnight; but nobody saw them enter the house. The door leading to the street was closed, but she had a latch-key; and as she was, possibly, reasonably sober, they were able to reach her room almost noiselessly. Light was seen in the window of her room for some time after the pair of them must have entered; and one man said that he was sure that he'd heard the woman singing a popular song around one in the morning - this is doubtful, however. Of what follows, there no doubt at all.

At around ten o'clock in the morning the house's owner, Mr Mc'Carthy, sent a man in his service around to Kelly's to ask her for the rent, which she had not paid for some time. The man knocked the door, but received no answer. He listened, but heard no sound. He thought something was amiss, and tried to open the door. It was completely sound, as if locked from the outside. Determined to find out that nothing bad had occurred, he went to the window, so that he might get a view of the room, and effect entry, should it be needed. One look at the room was enough, however.

On the bed he saw the body of a woman, dead, and cut apart so horribly that he almost fell into a faint at the sight. He ran, terrified, from the place, and went to Mc'Carthy's shop, and bade him - "for God's sake" - to come and see. The place looked like a slaughter-house -- blood everywhere, and pieces of flesh spread on the floor; whilst, on a small table, in view of the window, there was an horrific pile of flesh and entrails. Presently, a policeman was brought to the place, and a large crowd of people gathered there once the news had spread.

The police were at first reluctant to enter the house, as if the view through the window had "enfeebled" them. Within some twenty minutes, the door was shattered open, and the policemen entered, not remaining for any longer than was necessary to take note of everything. The scene was enough to tangle the nerves of the strongest man. Large pieces of the thighs had been cut away and thrown about with animal abandon; both the poor woman's breasts had been cut away, one of them placed on the table with the entrails; the neck had been cut so as to almost be free of the head, the body completely naked, ripped, and all the bowels taken out. The main organs of the body had been pulled away; some had been dropped on the floor, others placed on the table. It was said also, on good authority, that the womb had been taken away by the demon, as in one or two of the other murders; but on this subject, neither the police nor the doctors wanted to say anything. However, if that particular item had not been taken, it is obvious that it would have pleased the authorities to have said so.

The doctors conducted an examination of the body which lasted some hours. In order to have firm and permanent evidence of the location, and of the appearance of the body, an artist was brought there to draw the entire scene; unfortunately, the state of the surroundings was such that it prevented him from doing his work particulary well. About four o'clock in the afternoon, the hacked remains were taken away in a cart. When the coffin brought for the corpse -- an old one, used on several similar previous occasions -- was placed on the cart, a host of ordinary men were seen to remove their hats, and women of the deceased's class weeping tears. The remains were taken to the house of the dead in Shoreditch.

The reason why bloodhounds weren't used in this instance was that the ones on whom trials had recently been carried out had escaped, and had not been caught yet.

As we write this (on Saturday), the murderer is still at large.

(Ibid., 14th November 1888)
                    Last edited by Sam Flynn; 09-05-2008, 12:44 AM.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Jeez you're a fast worker Sam!
                      Many many thanks for that - you're a diamond!
                      Chris

Comment

Nae probs, Chris - I'll do the rest tomorrow.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hello Chris!

Very interesting stuff, thank you a lot!

Since I don't know, what "thank you very much" is in Welsh, Sam, I'll write it in Finnish :

Kiitoksia oikein paljon!

All the best
                          Jukka
                          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Thanx Guys..

The massacre was discovered by a young man [sic] who had gone to the house to ask for the rent. The corpse presented a terrible spectacle, and lay naked upon a pitifully poor bed. The ears and the nose had been cut off, the flesh had been sliced from one of the cheeks, and the neck cut through to the bone. In addition, one of the breasts had been cut off, and the flesh roughly hacked from the thigh until the bone was visible, whilst the bowels had been ripped out, as as in the previous murders, and internal organs taken and placed on the table near the bed. Apart from the above, a number of cuts had been made on other parts of the body.

Wow! I know thats not accurate but when I read that it sort of gave me a closer connection with Mary as a victim. She is so mutilated in the photos and her face is so unrecognizable I guess I just wasnt making the proper bond with her. Wich leads me to understand more clearly of how Jack must have wanted that for Mary.

But thats off the subject. But it lead me to a theory about Druitt. Ill post it in the proper place.

Anyway thanks. Its an interesting read so far. And I know its a rather unique language from a unique area of the World that I really should study up on. Especially when I know it will be loads of fun!

Comment

Thanks, Chris, for taking these articles to the boards. And thank you, Sam, for translating them. One thing that strikes me, reading the last one presented, is that if it is anything to go by, it much strengthens Sams wiew that the whole scene was one of great disorder, more than one of a "staged" scene. Pieces dropped and thrown about... Yuck! Then again, there was that placing of organs as a "cushion" under her head. Tough call, as usual!

Once again thanks, gentlemen!

Fisherman

Comment

Working...
                              X