No announcement yet.

How superstitious the LVP people were?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How superstitious the LVP people were?!

Hello you all!

I thought to add this point to the threads too;

We have 13 as an unlucky number in the Western World. Some people still get the creeps about it... Yet, nothing has ever happened to me personally in my regular pub on Friday the 13th!

But, could moving into nr. 13 have given any creeps to Mary & Joe?!

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Twice I tried replying to this thread, twice my computer crashed! I did have a long winding explaination of the origins of the superstition but will cut to the chase and say this.

It is possible they were aware of the superstition.
    Regards Mike

Comment

I should rather think that for other people renting the room after that murder would have taken a lot of courage
      In heaven I am a wild ox
      On earth I am a lion
      A jester from hell and shadows almighty
      The scientist of darkness
      Older than the constellations
      The mysterious jinx and the error in heaven's masterplan

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
        Twice I tried replying to this thread, twice my computer crashed! I did have a long winding explaination of the origins of the superstition but will cut to the chase and say this.

It is possible they were aware of the superstition.
        Hello Mike,
        I've read that the superstition started with the arrest of the Templars, on Friday 13 October 1307.
        But was the superstion about number "13" prior or subsequent to "Friday 13"?

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

The tradition of Friday the 13th being unlucky or star-crossed is ancient. In Christian myth, Jesus was supposedly crucified on a Friday the 13th of whatever month in the Roman calender it was, after sitting to dine at a table of 13 at the last supper.

It was also a good movie.

Cheers,

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

In Babylonian Law there were 14 books, but number 13 was never read as it was to do with death and the afterlife and considered bad luck.

There are several stories about the Knights Templar, the first being they it was the 13th day of the month.

The second being that it was Friday the 13th!

Then we come to Christ and again multiple versions of events.
            Judas was the 13th guest at the last supper.

Jesus was crucified on the Friday.

Jesus was Crucified on Friday the 13th.

In the modern era we find hotels missing floor number 13.
            On a similar line, many hotels don't have a room 13.
            Some airports do not have a gate 13.
            Some planes do not have a row 13.
            Some planes do not have a seat 13.
            Some streets do not have a house 13.
            Formula 1 does not have a 13th car.
            It is considered bad luck to marry on the 13th.
            And bad luck if your born on the 13th.

It is rumoured that if 13 people are sat at a table to dine, by the same time next year one will be dead!
            There is actually a club for people with an intrest called "The Thirteenth Club"

Up until Tudor times many believed the Year to have 13 months, due to the natural stages of the moon.

Ladies have ladies problems 13 times a year! This is considered bad luck to those who follow "Female Deities", such as the Madonna!

In Mesoamerican divination the number is neither lucky or unlucky but can mean both!

In Egyptian beliefs the number 13 is lucky. There are several stages an Egyptian would go through and the final stage, number 13 was the death stage, which whilst most of use would consider to be bad, was thought of as good by their culture!

Italians consider the number 13 to be lucky!

And if you look above, I unwittingly seperated the text, into 13 sub divisions!!
            Regards Mike

Comment

...and the 13th Ethiopian month is only 5 days long (or 6, if a leap year).
              To minimize risks, I guess...
              Treize reste raide!

Amitiés,
              David

Comment

And Friday the 13th the movie series, is really bad.

The TV show is even worse!

(I collect them too!!)
                Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                  The TV show is even worse!

(I collect them too!!)

It is bad (though I preferred the TV show to the movies), but that's what makes it fun -- even though there's so much cheese that I have to take two or three Lactaids to watch one (lactose-intolerant me).

I remember a Jack The Ripper episode with a pearl-handled scalpel; I haven't seen that one in at least 15 years, maybe 20, and I certainly knew nothing about JtR compared to now -- and I still remember shouting in frustration at the TV screen...
                  ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Hello you all!

This thing came to my mind with the latest turns of this thread;

has anyone ever seen mr. Hitchcock's "Nr. 13"?

By the way, he was born on Friday the 13th...

All the best
                    Jukka
                    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Working...
                    X