Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Joe Barnettīs alibi accepted lightly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    You seem to have a lot of time to waste here.
    My dear boy, the person who posted three examples of what he now says is the same "alibi", when one example would have sufficed, is the person who has time to waste, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
      My dear boy, the person who posted three examples of what he now says is the same "alibi", when one example would have sufficed, is the person who has time to waste, no?
      Very amusing. Compare this to your own thread where you gave numerous examples and quotes from the posts of Fisherman.

One would have sufficed. Or five. Or seven.

And why is this an issue?

Comment

Very amusing. Compare this to your own thread where you gave numerous examples and quotes from the posts of Fisherman.

One would have sufficed. Or five. Or seven.

And why is this an issue?
        If you want to discuss issues from another thread, my dear boy, please do so in that thread, in order to remain on topic, and I will then explain the reasons for my quoting the posts of Fisherman.

In this thread, I remain perplexed as to why you simply did not say in your OP: "according to the sources, Barnett said he lived at 24/25 New Street Bishopsgate at the time of the murder".

But let me ask you this. Do you accept that there is absolutely nothing in the sources to suggest that the police accepted Barnett's alibi lightly?

Comment

...my dear boy,
          Pierre is actually 38 years old.

Comment

• [QUOTE=David Orsam;416777]

Do you accept that there is absolutely nothing in the sources to suggest that the police accepted Barnett's alibi lightly?
            What sources?

Comment

What sources?
              Let's stick with the three sources you quoted in the OP.

What's the answer?

Comment

Let's stick with the three sources you quoted in the OP.

What's the answer?
                Sure. So letīs analyze these three sources now.

And your question to me was:

Do you accept that there is absolutely nothing in the sources to suggest that the police accepted Barnett's alibi lightly?
                And the texts in the sources were:

"...now residing at 24 & 25 New Street Bishops gate..."

"I reside at 24 and 25 New Street, Bishopsgate..."

"Until Saturday last I lived at 24, New-street, Bishopsgate, and have since stayed at my sister's, 21, Portpool-lane, Gray's Inn-road."

And the analyze is:

There are three verbs in the texts describing where Barnett might have been on the night of the murder:

reside - live - stay

The three verbs are wide categories which do not describe any details.

Alibi means "elsewhere" in Latin.

The three verbs show that Barnett:

1. Resided elsewhere
                2. Lived elsewhere
                3. Stayed elsewhere

From the analyze of the data I conclude that

A) Barnett resided/lived/stayed elsewhere and that he did not reside, live or stay at Millerīs Court.

B) Barnett was not arrested at the time of the murder/in a prison and he was therefore free to leave the address where he resided/lived/stayed.

Summing up: The evidence that Barnett resided/lived/stayed at an address does not show us that he was at the address at the time of the Kelly murder.

ANSWER:

No, I do not accept that there is absolutely nothing in the sources to suggest that the police accepted Barnett's alibi lightly.

On the contrary.

Barnettīs alibi was accepted very lightly.

And if you note that the police source is first and the other two are later and at the same time hypothesize that the police did investigate the claim of Barnett - do also note that the following two sources (in theire entirety) say nothing about any result of such an investigation.

Now, lack of data is not evidence, do also note that.

(Have to finish now, have to see wife in hospital. Again. But will get back).

Pierre
                Last edited by Pierre; 06-03-2017, 05:54 AM.

Comment

• Oh my dear boy, I have some great difficulty in understanding what you are talking about.

If none of the sources deal with Barnett's alibi then how can they suggest that the police accepted it lightly?

Aren't the three sources that you quoted all doing no more than saying that Barnett's place of residence at the time of the murder was in New Street?

That doesn't even mention his alibi unless he was saying he was there at the time of the murder but that's not what the sources actually say, so what is their relevance?

And what do the sources tell us about the way the police accepted his alibi?

Surely we learn nothing from the sources about it. Isn't that right my dear boy?

Comment

• [QUOTE=David Orsam;416823]

Oh my dear boy, I have some great difficulty in understanding what you are talking about.

If none of the sources deal with Barnett's alibi then how can they suggest that the police accepted it lightly?
                    Noting the word "if".

Aren't the three sources that you quoted all doing no more than saying that Barnett's place of residence at the time of the murder was in New Street?
                    You are trying to make me say "yes" and then you will say: but why analyze the statements as an alibi, and you are trying to make me say "no" and defend the position that the sources describes an alibi.

This strategy is your usual one, dealing mainly with dichotomous categories, trying to make an answer from your opponent impossible. This strategy is merely a strategy leading your opponent to a situation of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" and you use if very often here in the forum.

So as you can see you get no answer from me, since your only interest is to destroy the arguments you are dealing with here and not taking the case forward.

That doesn't even mention his alibi unless he was saying he was there at the time of the murder but that's not what the sources actually say, so what is their relevance?
                    That, on the other hand, is an interesting question. What do you think is their relevance?

And what do the sources tell us about the way the police accepted his alibi?
                    Yes, indeed. What do you say about this?

Surely we learn nothing from the sources about it. Isn't that right my dear boy?
                    Yes, we learn that if you treat the sources as I treated them now, on your demand - remember it was you who asked me to discuss these three sources - that is what we get.
                    Last edited by Pierre; 06-03-2017, 11:42 AM.

Comment

This strategy is your usual one,
                      My dear boy, I have no "strategy", I'm doing no more than trying to understand why you included extracts from 3 separate sources at the start of this thread dealing with Barnett's place of residence and I feel I'm none the wiser. Instead, for some unknown reason, you are now asking me questions even though I have no idea what is going on inside your head.

Let me ask you this though my dear boy. Did you notice that two of your extracts use the present tense in respect of the New Street address, i.e. "now residing" and "I reside" whereas the third source is in the past tense, i.e. "I lived"?

Given that Barnett no longer resided in New Street the present tense wasn't appropriate was it?

But is it fair to say that this tells us nothing about the police accepting Barnett's alibi lightly or otherwise?

Comment

My dear boy, I have no "strategy", I'm doing no more than trying to understand why you included extracts from 3 separate sources at the start of this thread dealing with Barnett's place of residence and I feel I'm none the wiser. Instead, for some unknown reason, you are now asking me questions even though I have no idea what is going on inside your head.

Let me ask you this though my dear boy. Did you notice that two of your extracts use the present tense in respect of the New Street address, i.e. "now residing" and "I reside" whereas the third source is in the past tense, i.e. "I lived"?

Given that Barnett no longer resided in New Street the present tense wasn't appropriate was it?

But is it fair to say that this tells us nothing about the police accepting Barnett's alibi lightly or otherwise?
                        Past tense was common in inquest sources.

Pierre

Comment

Past tense was common in inquest sources.
                          That's a strange answer my dear boy because I was asking you about the use of the (inaccurate) present tense on this occasion.

Comment

That's a strange answer my dear boy because I was asking you about the use of the (inaccurate) present tense on this occasion.
                            So what do you want to say about the present tense?

Comment

So what do you want to say about the present tense?
                              Well I was wondering if the fact that the present tense is inaccurate and Barnett was not, in fact, "residing" in New Street at the time of the inquest is what prompted you to wonder if the police had fully investigated Barnett's story.

Comment

Well I was wondering if the fact that the present tense is inaccurate and Barnett was not, in fact, "residing" in New Street at the time of the inquest is what prompted you to wonder if the police had fully investigated Barnett's story.
                                No, David.

The three texts are just examples, and the purpose for referring to them is to start a discussion from any point of view.

Comment

Working...
                                X