Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Joe Barnettīs alibi accepted lightly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No wonder he decided not to be a pretend scientist anymore and to become a pretend historian instead.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
      There are no facts.

Now I've heard everything.
      Don't forget that while there are no facts, "there are better and worse facts".

And THAT is a fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
        Therefore, there is no "fact". Facts are social constructions.

Last post for tonight.
        The Earth revolves around the Sun. That is a fact.

The Sun revolves around the Earth. That is not a fact but was an incorrect historical assumption.

Pierre is an historian. That may be a fact, but no evidence has been produced in support of any such claim, so it may just be a social construction.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
          The Earth revolves around the Sun. That is a fact.

The Sun revolves around the Earth. That is not a fact but was an incorrect historical assumption.

Pierre is an historian. That may be a fact, but no evidence has been produced in support of any such claim, so it may just be a social construction.
          Hi,

You are reducing the concept of the social construction to mean an artefact without support. This reduction is one of the most common mistakes for people who do not understand the concept of the social construction.

Every artefact produced by humans is a social construction. This means that a fact also is a social construction.

Let me give you some examples. A planet is not a social construction. But knowledge about the planet is. Space is not a social construction. But knowledge about space is.

Now, dogs are also social constructions due to dog breeding. And knowledge about those dogs is a social construction.

This forum is also a social construction.

Everything socially constructed by humans is a social construction, since it is created through social interaction and social structures.

Facts are tested with different models, calculations and instruments. The models, calculations and instruments are created by humans and are therefore social constructions.

Best wishes, Pierre

Comment

Facts are tested with different models, calculations and instruments.
            Now my dear boy, thank you for that charming lecture but perhaps you can tell us how facts can be tested with different models, calculations and instruments when there are no facts?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
              Now my dear boy, thank you for that charming lecture but perhaps you can tell us how facts can be tested with different models, calculations and instruments when there are no facts?
              Facts are tested and changed.

And then we get paradigm shifts, scientific revolutions and normal science is changed.

This is going on within the social world, where there are struggles for power.

Comment

Facts are tested and changed.

And then we get paradigm shifts, scientific revolutions and normal science is changed.

This is going on within the social world, where there are struggles for power.
                My dear boy can you give me an example of a fact that has been tested and changed?

Comment

• Hi.
                  I started a thread at least 16 years ago ''Joseph Barnett , number one suspect'' it ran for ages.
                  Leanne Perry and myself,[ who shared the same suspect] started on a venture to co write a book, but it was difficult because she resided in Australia, and myself the UK.
                  I was pleased that she completed a book , and had it published, and it has pride and place on my bookshelf.
                  Years have gone by, and although I have a slight suspicion about Barnett, cannot put him in the frame in 2017.
                  Regards Richard.

Comment

• Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                    Hi.
                    I started a thread at least 16 years ago ''Joseph Barnett , number one suspect'' it ran for ages.
                    Leanne Perry and myself,[ who shared the same suspect] started on a venture to co write a book, but it was difficult because she resided in Australia, and myself the UK.
                    I was pleased that she completed a book , and had it published, and it has pride and place on my bookshelf.
                    Years have gone by, and although I have a slight suspicion about Barnett, cannot put him in the frame in 2017.
                    Regards Richard.
                    Hi Richard,

I see. Well, I can understand why people would think that Barnett did the murders. And I think he may be an interesting "suspect".

And I do not do that category and I do not believe that Barnett was a serial killer.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

And I do not do that category and I do not believe that Barnett was a serial killer.
                      Is that because his alibi checked out my dear boy?

Comment

Hi,

You are reducing the concept of the social construction to mean an artefact without support. This reduction is one of the most common mistakes for people who do not understand the concept of the social construction.

Every artefact produced by humans is a social construction. This means that a fact also is a social construction.

Let me give you some examples. A planet is not a social construction. But knowledge about the planet is. Space is not a social construction. But knowledge about space is.

Now, dogs are also social constructions due to dog breeding. And knowledge about those dogs is a social construction.

This forum is also a social construction.

Everything socially constructed by humans is a social construction, since it is created through social interaction and social structures.

Facts are tested with different models, calculations and instruments. The models, calculations and instruments are created by humans and are therefore social constructions.

Best wishes, Pierre

Now dogs aren't dogs, maybe they're cats
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                          Is that because his alibi checked out my dear boy?
                          No, not at all. It is because we have no data indicating that Barnett killed the other victims.

That is why I do not think he was a serial killer.

I may think he may have been the murderer of Kelly. But of course, I am wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Now dogs aren't dogs, maybe they're cats
                            Well, if we breed dogs to act and look like cats, or if we define them as being cats, who knows.

Do remember that people believed in witches in the 17th Century and that people were executed for "being" witches.

Comment

It is because we have no data indicating that Barnett killed the other victims.
                              Is that a fact?

Comment

Do remember that people believed in witches in the 17th Century and that people were executed for "being" witches.
                                Is that a fact?

Comment

Working...
                                X