Newapaper coverage of the inquest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newapaper coverage of the inquest.

Here's The Guardian · Tuesday, September 04, 1888.

Points I found of interest were:

It mentions that Inspector Helson and Abberline, as well as Detective Sergeant Enright of Scotland Yard attended the inquest. The reporter seems to have gotten some opinions from Abberline and Helson.

Nichols was considered to be the third victim. Presumably Martha Tabram was one of the other two.

Three night watchman were on duty nearby, but heard nothing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	The_Guardian__London__Greater_London__England___Tuesday__September_04__1888.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	798918

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

And here's The Morning Post · Tuesday, September 04, 1888

And here the Inspector's name is listed as Helston.

Its shows that Charles Cross/Lechmere was identified by PC "Maizen" before Cross testified. Even back then the police had to deal with people claiming to be witnesses for the attention.

Name:	The_Morning_Post__London__Greater_London__England___Tuesday__September_04__1888(2).jpg
Views:	157
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	798929

Name:	The_Morning_Post__London__Greater_London__England___Tuesday__September_04__1888.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	798930

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Hi Fiver,
      I have over 150( actually lost count ) in my book on Bucks Row, London, regionals and overseas.
      So I am going to take a keen interest in this thread.

Steve

Comment

"Even back then the police had to deal with people claiming to be witnesses for the attention."

Absolutely Fiver!

I had a friend who was a DI with Strathclyde Police. He was working on a child murder, and they were struggling to get any meaningful evidence.

Over a beer he told me that he was dreading going into work on Monday because the Police were setting up a mobile incident room in an attempt to encourage the public to supply any information which would help trace the killer.

He said that whenever the police took this step, it meant that they were really struggling, and resulted in lots of evidence coming in from lots of "weirdos", all of which had to be followed up, and very rarely resulted in any meaningful information.

Comment

Working...
        X