Ingleside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ingleside

Does anyone have a source for the claim that Polly Nichols worked for Samuel and Sarah Cowdry at ‘Ingleside’, Rose Hill Road, Wandsworth?

There is evidence that it was their son, Francis, who lived at that address from 1885 to 1887, while Samuel and Sarah where living nearby at no. 26.

It would seem that it was Francis Cowdry and his wife, Martha, who were living at ‘Ingleside’ in 1888. There’s no evidence to support the fact that Polly Nichols’s employees were Samuel and Sarah Cowdry.

Francis Cowdry seems to have lead a very interesting life.

Comment

Sounds like another great story in the making. Forget suspects, this is why I love this field of research!
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
        Sounds like another great story in the making. Forget suspects, this is why I love this field of research!
        Me too, Dusty.

The Francis Cowdry of ‘Ingleside’ seems to have disappeared from London/England ca 1890/3, and around the same time a Francis Cowdry of the same age and occupation became a freemason in Turkey. He went on to manage a salt works on the shores of the Red Sea, and during WWI he was interned by the Turks.

I’m off to the National Archives on Friday to check out some records they hold about FC’s internment.

Last edited by MrBarnett; 07-17-2019, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Good luck hunting! Most of the Turkish Army's officer elite were Masons, so I'd be interested to see if he got any special treatment.
          dustymiller
          aka drstrange

Comment

Working...
          X