Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Abby, and I agree entirely with the "outsiders"/"insiders" distinction.

Hi Fisherman,

It’s always interesting to hear your views, but give me at least a chance to respond to your earlier posts before you argue with the points I make to others!

It was a very questionable decision to bring up Hutchinson, who, as you know from experience, has a cheeky little habit of taking over every thread in which his name in mentioned. I know of no George Hutchinson whose signature is considered by any document examiner to “match” those provided by the witness, but I know of one whose signature is considered to be a mismatch, according to a document examiner.

Hutchinson’s base was central to the ripper’s crimes, unlike Cross’, which was on the periphery east of the easternmost site, making the latter a “commuter” serial killer and thus “very rare” according to David Canter. Hutchinson would be a marauder-type, which is far more common. Hutchinson has more “geographical ties” to the murder locations courtesy of this central location. The northern end of George Yard is literally a stone’s throw away from the Victoria Home, which, I’d wager, is a lot closer than Cross’ relative was to Dutfields Yard. There are good reasons to conclude that Hutchinson fabricated his reason for monitoring a crime scene before that crime happened, which is a lot more “suspicious” than finding a body, which somebody had to do at some point. A “police corps, looking for a serialist” would view Hutchinson with considerably more suspicion than Cross.

But if you fancy a nice, long, thread-derailing repetitive argument about Hutchinson, please do “address” the above points and we can kiss goodbye to Cross talk, which would be a great pity. You won’t be doing Lechmere (the poster) a favour, and it certainly won’t aid your thread’s direction, but you brought it up.

“The two had met Mizen down at Bakerīs Row, and from there, there was a choice of the quicker Old Montague Street or the slower Hanbury Street, and in spite of being late, Cross chose the slower alternative.”
    Well, with the full and certain knowledge that there was an extremely violent individual on the loose in the neighbourhood, I’d rather have the company than venture off alone down the entire length of dark, notorious Old Montague Street. For what it’s worth, though, I believe the real killer used this very street as an escape route. It would have taken him right back into the heart of the murder district. There is nothing remotely strange about Paul’s and Cross’s decision to leave the corpse, especially if their intention was to alert a policeman who they knew could not be far away.

“And we DO know that serialists are often people who kill along their normally trodden paths.”
    Not to work, though.

You’ll get no argument from me that serial killers often kill where they feel most comfortable and familiar, but I don’t know of many cases involving a serial killer who claims his victims when walking a “normally trodden path” to work, despite being due at that work place very shortly afterwards. The fact that Cross was on his way to work legitimises his presence at the crime scene and renders unsuspicious his discovery of the body. That doesn’t mean he couldn’t have done it, but it prevents the circumstance from being suspicious.

“It stands to reason that Nicholsībody would not rot away undetected and disappear on the East End streets, but how does THAT prove that Lechmere did not kill her?”
    What I mean is that it was virtually inevitable that Cross, or someone very much like him, should have discovered the body. I simply wonder how something so inevitable can be considered so suspicious? If he left his home in Doveton Street “about” 3:30, as his testimony indicates, it would give a likely time of arrival at the murder scene of approximately six minutes later, which isn’t far off 3:40 at all, especially if the timings were approximate. Nothing really suspicious there.

“Likewise it applies that if he knew that her head was hanging on by the spine only, more or less, then this would all become obvious as they tried to lift her up.”
    Yes, but if Paul was insistent on propping her up anyway, what exactly was Cross going to do about it? If the latter was the killer, he could have “refused” to do anything Paul suggested with regard to the rearrangement of the body, but he could hardly have prevented Paul from taking whatever steps he considered appropriate.

“As for the evidence material I know of, I have told you before that there is more than I have spoken of.”
    Well then surely the thing to do would be to wait until this has been provided before we argue about it? You talk of supposed revelations that have appeared on “this thread” but nothing has been provided because we haven’t seen the evidence. You mention that others “appreciate” that a “breakthrough” has occurred, but if nothing’s broken through, what is there to appreciate? There can no breakthrough until the relevant evidence is provided, and if others are expressing sudden enthusiasm for Cross as a suspect without having seen any evidence, then yes, that is extremely inappropriate.

“I really donīt think that any other suspect can match our carman. All the other cases are built on much less solid grounds, the way I see it, whereas Lechmere provides down to earth arguments.”
    I think you’ll find you’re in the extreme minority of opinion on that one, but fair enough.

All the best,
    Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• And The Coroner?

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
      This is utterly amazing !

Lechmere made a list of excellent points in favour of Cross as a very good suspect for JTR, but nobody is answering him seriously....Why ?

Maybe because they can't ?

Depends on what you mean by "answering him seriously". Many of the posts I've read either agree, or disagree with his conclusions. Those which disagree give their reasons for doing so, challenge his assertions and ask him to support them with evidence. That sounds like "answering him seriously" to me. I'd be surprised if Lechmere had serious expectations that everyone would take his claims for Cross at face value and acknowledge him as the most serious suspect without question.

I repeat -concerning the TOD of Chapman, this is nota certainty, and as Trevor pointed out, the Police put her death at a time which makes the witness statements worthless.

The police may have done, but the coroner certainly didn't. He seemed to prefer Mrs Long's evidence to that of the police surgeon as to the time of death.

Lynn cannot possibly say that Long "indeed" saw Annie with her killer. How could he know ?

Does he say he knows? Isn't he just giving his opinion?

I think that I will re-post Lechmere's argument again, so that it doesn't get drowned in silliness in this thread
      I don't see anything silly in testing the weight of his argument. In my view it would be silly not to do so. In my opinion most of Cross's actions are capable of both innocent and guilty explanations.

If "He could have been lying" makes him a suspect,
      "He could have been telling the truth", using the same argument, leads to the opposite conclusion.

I'm sorry, but I see nothing but conjecture here. This is a sensible thread on a sensible subject. I just don't happen to agree with the basic proposition. Disagreement is not silliness.

Regards, Bridewell.
      Last edited by Bridewell; 03-27-2012, 07:50 PM.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Robert:

""I'm not going to touch her" might be a self-preservation thing. If a woman had been outraged, such a woman regaining consciousness (and who had been drinking) might fly into a series of accusations against her helper. It can't have been unknown for good Samaritans helping women in distress to have been accused of an offence, if the disorientated women weren't sure exactly what had happened?"

Thatīs a colourful explanation to why he did not want to touch her, Robert! Problem is, he HAD already done so. And there were two guys about, strong carmen to boot, so they would probably be able to stand their ground.

"Abby - Lechmerians? Makes Fish and Lechmere sound like prehistoric monsters from Dr Who! When did you say you were hatched - um - born, Fish?"

All I can recall are those damn velociraptors, Robert. Stole my gruel, they did!

The best
        Fisherman

Comment

• Abby:

"Hi Fish
          Since you brought up Hutch, it made me think of a couple of similiarities with Lech.
          Some of the anti-hutchs have been very vocal in the past in pointing out certain aspects of the hutch case (you know who you are) that they say diminish his candidacy for the ripper that also apply to Lech.

Namely:
          1. Hutch/toppy apparently being a normal family man. so was Lech. in fact more so, as he was married with family at the time of the murders while hutch was single and married later.

2. The argument the police must have checked Hutch out as a suspect, eventhough there is no evidence they did, and cleared him. This also has to apply then exactly to Lech. They must have checked him out also as a suspect and cleared him.
          So, whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Anyone who thinks the above diminished Hutch's candidacy MUST also admit these diminish Lech's.
          Fair enough?"

Absolutely - within certain limits. The family man argument is clearly exactly the same for both guys. And the trouble with that is that most serialists are not in relationships. Some are, though, Rader, Bundy, Collins, Gacy, Ridgway etc.
          In consequence of this, I have always said that serialists are NORMALLY not family men - but some are. Itīs all there on the threads, Abby, if you wish to go looking for it.

As for the checking out part, I think we must appreciate that what was a simmering stew when Nichols died, was a tabascostrewn hotpot in full boiling when Kelly was killed. In consequence of this, I would suggest that the police were under much more pressure to sift all possible clues in a much more thorough manner at the latter occasion. Therefore it applies that if one of the to, Cross and Hutchinson stood abetter chance of slipping through the net, Cross would be our best bet.

The best,
          Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
            1888 was indeed a completely different era from 2012, as you say. Cross was a working-class man with a family to feed. So:

"What possible reason could Cross have had for not wearing his "best clothes"?

Perhaps he didn't own any.

Regards, Bridewell.
            Hi, Bridewell,
            Actually, I had thought of that possibility, too.

However, since he had held a job for a very long time (about 20 years if my non-existent memory serves) that is difficult to believe.

Possible, sure, but . . .
            He was employed and had been for a very long time.

Thanks for the thought.
            curious

Comment

• Curious:

" It seems to me that nearly all the people posting are saying it is worth a further look not that anyone is totally convinced. I haven't even tied a hangman's noose especially for Cross yet. "

I said it before, and I will say it again - it matters not how discerning you are; you will be jotted down as a stern believer in Crossīguilt anyway.

I have pointed out the exact same thing numerous times - there is not enough evidence by any stretch to entertain more than a sound suspicion. But thatīs not gonna get me off the hook. Iīm a Lechmerian now, by the looks of things ...

The best,
              Fisherman

Comment

• Bridewqell:

"Perhaps he didn't own any."

I personally donīt think that the press would have made a big fuss over it if that was the case.

The best,
                Fisherman

Comment

• Ben:

" give me at least a chance to respond to your earlier posts before you argue with the points I make to others!"

Oh, youīve had plenty of time, Ben.

"It was a very questionable decision to bring up Hutchinson, who, as you know from experience, has a cheeky little habit of taking over every thread in which his name in mentioned."

He makes for a very interesting comparison, though:

Close to a victim (if he was even there on the right day, something that can be seriously questioned), but not as close as Cross. No proven physical contact.

Can be placed at one murder spot, whereas Cross had reason to visit them all but for one.

Presented a name that may well be correct, only an unsubstantiated suggestion speaks of a false name, whereas we KNOW that Cross used a name he never used offically - as far as we can tell.

And the only thing that makes you opt for Hutchinson in this - and correct me if I am wrong - is that you personally regard him as more suspicious.

If we are to go on discussing him, though, letīs do so on another thread! I only took him up since it was said by Sally, a fierce Hutchinson-admirer, that Cross was a bad suggestion.

"Well, with the full and certain knowledge that there was an extremely violent individual on the loose in the neighbourhood, I’d rather have the company than venture off alone down the entire length of dark, notorious Old Montague Street. For what it’s worth, though, I believe the real killer used this very street as an escape route."

Both men had just traversed Buckīs Row, ill-famed though it was, Ben. I donīt think that they had very much choice but to walk streets carrying danger. But fair enough!

"Not to work, though.

You’ll get no argument from me that serial killers often kill where they feel most comfortable and familiar, but I don’t know of many cases involving a serial killer who claims his victims when walking a “normally trodden path” to work, despite being due at that work place very shortly afterwards. The fact that Cross was on his way to work legitimises his presence at the crime scene and renders unsuspicious his discovery of the body. That doesn’t mean he couldn’t have done it, but it prevents the circumstance from being suspicious."

Sutcliife, I think, killed on his way to work at one occasion. May be wrong there, though. Ridgway picked up women on his way to work, and then went killing instead, staying away from job that day. Maybe Cross did the same, for example in the Chapman case? It is believed that the Long Island killer, still uncaught, dumps his victims on his way to work.

It all depends on the circumstances. Of course it is not the kind of parameter that increases a suspicion, but it does not preclude it either.

"What I mean is that it was virtually inevitable that Cross, or someone very much like him, should have discovered the body. I simply wonder how something so inevitable can be considered so suspicious? If he left his home in Doveton Street “about” 3:30, as his testimony indicates, it would give a likely time of arrival at the murder scene of approximately six minutes later, which isn’t far off 3:40 at all, especially if the timings were approximate."

Well, he varied between 3.20 and 3.30. And it would have taken five, not six minutes to Buckīs Row according to Connor. That means that he could have walked the stretch AND back again in that time.

"Yes, but if Paul was insistent on propping her up anyway, what exactly was Cross going to do about it? If the latter was the killer, he could have “refused” to do anything Paul suggested with regard to the rearrangement of the body, but he could hardly have prevented Paul from taking whatever steps he considered appropriate."

No he could not - but he COULD have manipulated Paul. We donīt know.

" You talk of supposed revelations that have appeared on “this thread” but nothing has been provided because we haven’t seen the evidence. You mention that others “appreciate” that a “breakthrough” has occurred, but if nothing’s broken through, what is there to appreciate?"

Whether you appreciate it or not, Ben, the discovery of his mothers address IS a breakthrough.

"I think you’ll find you’re in the extreme minority"

You always do, Ben. I just wonder how "extreme" it can get...?

The best, Ben!
                  Fisherman

Comment

• Personally speaking, the name swap has never been the most convincing argument for me, but I think that there are many of the other points taken together that are compelling.

As to the person that pointed out that the arguments for/against Lechmere/Cross have some similarities with the Hutch/Toppy debate, I had noticed it before; but Hutch is still a favourite suspect. It's just that I now have two favourite suspects.

They have both got to be better than any that can't be placed at a crime scene.

Iīm a Lechmerian now, by the looks of things ...
                    The best,
                    Fisherman[/QUOTE]

You want to be careful that "Lechmerian" for the suspect, doesn't get confused with "Lechmerian" for the poster. The poster might start getting uppity. I liked "Swamp of Leeches". "Oligochaetologist" is good.
                    http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

• Whether you appreciate it or not, Ben, the discovery of his mothers address IS a breakthrough.
                      So what was it then? This address?

Come on, spill the beans.

Comment

• The Sunday Best

"Perhaps he didn't own any."

I personally donīt think that the press would have made a big fuss over it if that was the case.
                        The thought I had was that maybe he'd "popped" them until payday...not an uncommon event in the East End...

Just a thought
                        Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                          The thought I had was that maybe he'd "popped" them until payday...not an uncommon event in the East End...

Just a thought
                          Dave
                          Well, with what - (counts...) 7 children and a wife to feed, that could well be te case, couldn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                            Nothing strange, was it?
                            Fisherman
                            Well, really nothing strange, Fish. They found a constable, went back to Buck's Row, gave their names and disappeared.
                            When a policeman tells me I can go, I don't think it twice and I go. Not that I'm guilty of murder but I have other things to do.

Comment

• Well, really nothing strange, Fish. They found a constable, went back to Buck's Row, gave their names and disappeared
                              Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Mizen went to Bucks Row, (from whence PC Neil sent him for an ambulance - presumably one of those little handcarts rather than an ambulance as we know it)...but did Cross and Paul accompany him back, or simply go on from Hanbury Street/Bakers Row to work...not that it makes that much difference...

When a policeman tells me I can go, I don't think it twice and I go. Not that I'm guilty of murder but I have other things to do.
                              Absolutely!

Dave

Comment

• I'm pretty sure they didn't go back to Buck's Row. Even playing a game of Monopoly they wouldn't go back to Buck's Row.

Comment

Working...
                                X