Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial

Hello casebook,

Today, over 100 years ago, Mary Ann Nichols was found dead. On this day I am holding a moment of silence for her and the other victims of this horendous crime. May she rest in peace.

Yours truly.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Once again, we enter the season of marking the anniversaries of these crimes 122 years ago that have so captivated us. I join you in honoring the victims.

Comment

Thank you Kensei.

I believe today should be remembered. When we study these crimes, we read about the end of people's life. Well today is one of those days and it makes you think that earlier today, 122 years ago in London, Nichols was found dead.

Odd experience. As many times as you experience it is never changes.

Yours truly
      Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Thus the official start of the Autumn of Terror comes round again. We have to remember at this time that these were real people, not characters in a story and must know that they suffered anddied in horrible ways.
        I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Hello JR,

I agree. There were real people, and whether they fell by the knife of a serial killer or not they died.

The official start, but I do believe it started on the 7th.
          Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

R.I.P....Polly.

Comment

Thank you Anna
              Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

And so the memorial begins, however...

...This year is different. This year the actual dates corresponde with the days.

So as you tuck yourselves into bed tonight, just spare a thought for Polly who, as you snuggle down, was enjoying her last few drinks exactly 124 years ago.

Monty
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                  And so the memorial begins, however...

...This year is different. This year the actual dates corresponde with the days.

So as you tuck yourselves into bed tonight, just spare a thought for Polly who, as you snuggle down, was enjoying her last few drinks exactly 124 years ago.

Monty
                  And she would never have dreamed that her name would be known by people around the world 124 years later and beyond . . .

curious

Comment

I hadn't picked up on that, Monty. Poignant reminder that these were real people.

Regards, Bridewell.
                    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

RIP Polly - may you be in a better place than the world you left behind.

Comment

It's about 12:30 AM here in the States and a bit like Polly 124 years before I'm drinking a large glass of gin before bed. I wonder what she had planned for Friday? For me, it's times like this when I'm just glad that I have a home and a bed to sleep in. In some ways the security is false; I guess none of us really know what is lurking in the places that scare us the most. These women embody both our vulnerabilities and our hardiness, and remind us that we all deserve a simple dignity that Jack tried unsuccessfully to take from them...It still shines a century later. RIP, Polly.

Comment

RIP Polly. You are not forgotten.

Comment

I knew this was coming and am so pleased to see it happen every year. I join in the remembrance of Polly, and also note that 124 years ago tonight poor Annie Chapman had no idea that she had just over a week to live.

Comment

RIP Polly.

Comment

Working...
                              X