The Royal London Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Royal London Hospital

I have read elsewhere on the boards about how extremely close Polly's murder site is to the Royal London Hospital. I was there eight months ago doing a solo Ripper tour and here is how I remember it. I came out of the Whitechapel tube station on Whitechapel Road and viewed the hospital across the street to the south, then crossed over to view the Working Lad's Institute (or today, "Poundbusters") to the north. It was quarter after seven in the morning so not much was open yet. I then crossed back to the north side of the street and went east, seeking the Buck's Row murder site. Brady Street was not very clearly marked so I missed it and ended up walking way too far east, but that was ok because I saw plenty of interesting scenery.

When I finally found Brady Street and went north to find Durward Street, it felt like a few blocks to me, but that was with having to ask a pedestrian for directions because Durward was not clearly marked either. Ultimately I did get to the spot where Polly breathed her last. From things I've now read, it sounds as if that spot is much closer to the hospital than it felt like to me after a lot of walking. A couple of questions:

Can it be truthfully said that when you come out of the Whitechapel tube station, the murder site is more or less right behind you with only the tube station building separating you from it?

And second, just out of curiosity, is the Royal London Hospital still a functioning hospital? Sorry if these questions come from an ignorant American.

Hi Kensei.

If you run a search on my name, you'll find in Ripper Media a book entitled Jack the Ripper ... Person or Persons Unknown? Scroll down a few panes and you'll come across a diagram that defines the relationship between the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel Station, and the Buck's Row murder site.

As for the present day, the Royal London is still a functioning hospital. Indeed, it absorbed many of the injured during the 7/7 bombings.

Hope this is of help.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
      A couple of questions:

Can it be truthfully said that when you come out of the Whitechapel tube station, the murder site is more or less right behind you with only the tube station building separating you from it?

And second, just out of curiosity, is the Royal London Hospital still a functioning hospital? Sorry if these questions come from an ignorant American.
      Yes the Royal London Hospital is still one of metropolitan London's leading hospitals. And yes, indeed, Polly's murder site is directly behind Whitechapel tube station. In fact, one of the platforms for the tube station literally extends almost right below the murder site. See this photograph by Rob House where the murder scene is situated below the bright light at the left of the photo:

Chris
      Christopher T. George
      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Working...
      X