Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs.Colwall

Mah feller Ripperologists...

Is this a name anyone has heard before in relation to the Bucks Row murder?

I refrained from posting the beginning of the article, since its essentially commentary describing the killer of the women ( so far, as of 8/31/88) as a 'half crazed baboon" and things like that.

In any event, is this name familar to anyone?

Dallas Morning News
    September 5,1888
    Page Two
    THE MARY NICHOLS MURDER
    Horrible White Chapel Mystery
    The Suspect Is A Dicken's Qullp And
    Poe's Baboon/Combined- Short,Stunted,Qucik And Half-Crazy.

..."The story of Mrs. Colwall,who heard the screams of the woman as she was being murdered, is to the effect that she was clearly running away from sombody who was murdering her and yet she could hear no other footsteps..."

Here's the link for anyone who wishes to read the beginning of it....

http://iw.newsbank.com/iw-search/we/HistArchive?p_action=doc&p_theme=ahnpdoc&p_topdoc= 1&p_docnum=1&p_sort=YMD_date&p_product=EANX&p_docid=1077BCFC308BCBA0&p_text_di rect-0=document_id=(%201077BCFC308BCBA0%20)&p_nbid=X66U 61TXMTIyMTM5NTgyNC4yNzQxNjU6MTo0OjU0OTE

Howard,

She was Mrs. Colwell or Coville who heard someone scream near her home on Brady street. The next day she thought she saw blood spots on the street as well. I think this was PC Thain's beat. Her testimony seems to have been dismissed. I will look into this further.

Mike
    huh?

Comment

Thanks Mike. I initially tried the name Mrs. Colwell in the search engine to compare stories...but it didn't produce a result then. It does now, and although I've seen the Colwell reference, I wondered if possibly....just possibly, this was someone new.

Shucks.

Comment

How, expect Richard Nunweek to appear any moment now.

Comment

Mrs Colwell

Lloyds Weekly
          2 Sept 1888

Although neither Mrs Green nor Mr Perkins heard any noise, there are a number of people who early on Friday morning heard the screams of the victim. None of them paid any particular attention to them, however, except Mrs Colwell, who lives midway between Bucks Row and the next turning. She said,
          "I was awakened early on Friday morning by my little girl, who said someone was trying to get into the house. I listened, and heard screams. They were in a woman's voice, and, though frightened, were faint like, as would be natural if she were running. She was screaming, "Murder, police! Murder, police!" She screamed this five or six times, and seemed to be getting further and further away (toward the bottom of Bucks Row) all the time. I heard no other voice and no other steps. She seemed to be all alone. I think I would have heard the steps if anybody had been running after her, unless they were running on tiptoe."

Comment

Good afternoon Howard Bulwer Lytton,

I suggest you have a read of Paul Begg's "The Facts" or cheat and look at this link
            Using contemporary documents, police files, Home Office papers and newspaper reports, 'Jack the Ripper: The Facts' recreates the notorious crimes and police investigation of 1888 to provide the best available overview of the 'Great Victorian Mystery', the greatest unsolved, true crime story of all time. Written by one of the world's foremost authorities on the case, this is a completely rewritten and fully updated edition of Begg's classic title Jack the Ripper. It follows the crimes chronologically and records the most significant events, witness testimonies and aspects of the police investigation. As well as objectively examining the primary police suspects, Begg provides a fascinating and authoritative insight into related political issues and background events.
            Regards Mike

Comment

Blavatsky-Besant Covell:

Yeah, I read the man's book and checked the index too. I need glasses. Its in there. Page 46. Big as Helena Petrovsky-Covell's hiney too.

Thanks Robert and muchisimas gracias a ti, Senor Scott, sor....

Comment

Was her first name Patricia?
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Robert,
                  I obey your command dear sir, i have appeared to just repeat myself, why do we all assume press reports as being untrue?.I happen to respect the vast majority of witnesses as a accurate account as much as they could recollect.
                  I am not saying its gospel, but they were then, and we are now.
                  Enough said.
                  Regards Richard.

Comment

Have a look at the A-Z, pages 85-86 in the UK paper-back edition.

Cheers,

Graham
                    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Working...
                    X