Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosella
    replied
    It depends what you mean by throatcutting of course. Cutting one's own throat with a razor was a fairly typical method of suicide in Victorian times with few more sophisticated methods available.

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
    If we are to include her as a victim of Jack, why then is there such speculation as to whether Mckenzie & Coles are Jack's work?
    Had Stride been killed in 1889 or 1891, I'm sure she would be among the non-canonicals. However, the fact remains that her throat was slashed within an hour of another Ripper victim, and she was dispatched in a similar vein to the other victims, absence of mutilations aside.

Leave a comment:

• Robert St Devil
    replied
    In a previous post, i said that throat-cutting was the ,East End Hello,. In the 10Sep Morning Advertiser, a bling man is reported of going Matt Murdoch and stabbing his companion. A November edition of the Illustrated Police recalls an incident, strangely familiar to Jack the Ripper, of a prostitute being stabbed in her bedroom by an anonymous stranger; the incident had occurred 20+ years prior. There,s the woman stabbed by her sister in Miller,s Court. There,s all the other suspected victims who probably weren,t Jack,s victims.

On its own, a throat attack isn,t enough to indicate Jack the Ripper,s method. It,s the attempted decapitation, the enigmatic method of murdering women silently in public places and other factors that seemingly comprise his identity.

Leave a comment:

• The Station Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
    To The Station Cat

I don't believe throat cutting/violent murders were actually that common in late 1800's London. They were for instance hardly any violent murders in Whitechapel in the two years before 1888.

Cheers John
    Really? Well that is interesting and that does surprise me. What about after, did Jack set a trend? I assume that domestic violence (without murder) and violence in general was a common theme in Whitechapel? Would be interesting to know how many murders occurred before, during and after "Jack", and what the MO of those murders was. One only has to think of PC Thompson's murder (a police officer) stabbed in the neck in broad day light, to conclude that Whitechapel wasn't somewhere for the faint hearted to live...

Leave a comment:

• John Wheat
    replied
    Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
    I would be interested to know, whether throat cutting was a "regular" occurrence in Victorian London? Can anyone offer any evidence of other cases solved or otherwise when the victim had their throat cut?

The more I read on the Whitechapel murders, the less convinced I am that Stride was in fact a victim of Jack and that it is purely coincidental that she died on the same night as Eddowes and had had her throat cut. If we are to include her as a victim of Jack, why then is there such speculation as to whether Mckenzie & Coles are Jack's work? Are we to conclude that throat cutting equates to Jack? I don't buy the copy cat killer theory either, I suspect that however brutal this method is, it certainly occurred more regularly than is commonly excepted?

But please if you can, restore my beliefs that Stride was "done" by Jack?
    To The Station Cat

I don't believe throat cutting/violent murders were actually that common in late 1800's London. They were for instance hardly any violent murders in Whitechapel in the two years before 1888.

Cheers John

Leave a comment:

• The Station Cat
    started a topic Throat cutting in Victorian London.....

Throat cutting in Victorian London.....

I would be interested to know, whether throat cutting was a "regular" occurrence in Victorian London? Can anyone offer any evidence of other cases solved or otherwise when the victim had their throat cut?

The more I read on the Whitechapel murders, the less convinced I am that Stride was in fact a victim of Jack and that it is purely coincidental that she died on the same night as Eddowes and had had her throat cut. If we are to include her as a victim of Jack, why then is there such speculation as to whether Mckenzie & Coles are Jack's work? Are we to conclude that throat cutting equates to Jack? I don't buy the copy cat killer theory either, I suspect that however brutal this method is, it certainly occurred more regularly than is commonly excepted?

But please if you can, restore my beliefs that Stride was "done" by Jack?
Working...
X