1886-1891: Violent Crime in Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1886-1891: Violent Crime in Whitechapel

In again looking over (the controversial) “The Jack the Ripper Murders: A Modus Operandi and Signature Analysis of the 1888–1891, Whitechapel, I found a few items (not concerning the modern application of profiling) interesting with respect to violent crime statistics in Whitechapel, 1889-1890. The text may facilitate a conversation with respect to when the crimes began, opinions concerning the identity of the first victim, etc.

Full document at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jip.22/pdf

“The Annual Report of the Sanitary Conditions of Whitechapel listed no murders in the Whitechapel area in the years 1886 and 1887. The report listed only 71 cases of violent death in the Whitechapel area in 1887; 69 of those deaths were attributed to accidents and the remaining two were suicides.”

I’m certain that there is conflicting information with respect to Whitechapel violent crime rates of this period. As well, I think it’s a certainty that more than a few of those 69 accident victims were, in fact, murdered. I would also be surprised if there were only two suicides in 1887. I’m sure that several accidents were actually suicides, as well. Still, from these numbers, one may be inclined to suggest:

1. No individual (female/prostitutes) had their throats slashed in the two years prior to Jack the Ripper’s presumed activity in London’s east end. My assumption – naïve as it may be – is that if someone’s throat had been cut it most likely would have been classified murder.

2. Jack the Ripper had not yet killed anyone in the area, at least not in the manner for which he would become known in 1888. Perhaps his methods were evolving. Perhaps he was committing his crimes elsewhere and would move to the area shortly before the murders began.

A bit more information is presented with respect to the state of post-mortem examination around the time of the murders.

“Only one murder was recorded for the entire Whitechapel area in 1889 and again in 1890 (Paley, 1996). This suggests that while the Whitechapel area was crime laden, the occurrence of murder was rare. However, other analysts (Emmerichs, 2001) have shown that murders in Whitechapel were likely more common and typical of other high crime rate areas in London. There are a number of reasons for this. Record keeping was not systematic, the classification of cause of death was rudimentary, haphazard, and often inaccurate, the official residence of the victim had to be in Whitechapel to be counted, and the poverty of the residents and victims (referred to at the time as members of the ‘dangerous classes’) militated against any official legal action."

This text casts a further negative light on the statistics. Particularly troubling is this fact:

"Coroners were not required to have a medical background until 1926, so they were often involved in occupations other than medicine. Emmerich’s (2001) examination of hundreds of inquests performed in the nineteenth century in London indicates that the criminal homicide rate was much higher than reported in the sparse and unreliable documents of the time.”

I think it’s safe to assume that murder was much more prevalent in Whitechapel between 1886 and 1890 than these ‘official’ number indicate. Still, can we assume that these part-time coroners would be capable of, or inclined to, classify as a murder victim an individual with their throat slashed (that may or may not have associated mutilation)? Alas, some mitigation may be found in the fact that, based upon what we know of the crimes attributed to Jack the Ripper, no effort was made by the assailant to disguise the crime or to make it look like anything other than murder.

Thus, one may be inclined to ask the following questions.

1. Was murder by slashing the throat (of a prostitute) with no attempt to disguise the nature of the crime so rare in Whitechapel circa 1888 that all victims of this description should be viewed as likely victims of Jack the Ripper (Tabram, Stride, McKenzie, Coles)?

2. Was Jack the Ripper committing smaller-scale, ‘precursor’ crimes in the East End (stopping short of murder) in 1886-1887?

3. Was he committing murders in the East End, but effectively disguising them as accidents or as missing persons (numbers for which are unfortunately not presented in the study) in 1886-1887?

4. Are there any records of crimes in the East End, prior to summer/fall 1888 that may shed some light with respect to crimes that may now be viewed as possibly attributable to Jack the Ripper (crimes that led to what became, ultimately, his signature)?

Theoretically speaking, the absence of murders of this type (conceding that there were - in fact - far more murders happening than were characterized as such in the official record of the time) reinforces the inclusion of Tabram as a Ripper victim.

Off the top of my head, listing the reasons for her exclusion: No mutilation/slicing of the genitals/abdomen, multiple stab wounds, suspicion of more than one weapon (pen knife), others (?). But, looking at the commonalities in light of the fact that there appears (again, IF we trust the records) to have been no murders of a similar type in the previous two years and eight months may alter one's perception somewhat.

If we simply look at these crimes as prostitutes with their throats slashed and disregard the rest (for the sake of discussion only) then it becomes somewhat more difficult to discount Tabram and Stride. For nearly three years (based on the records provided in the study - probably more) prostitutes are managing to ply their trade in the East End without being found littered around town with their throats cut. For a period of 12 weeks in 1888 prostitutes ARE found littered around town with their throats cut. I'm tempted to say it was the same man.

Further, if Tabram is excluded, then it's likely that the man who killed Nichols, Chapman, Stride (?), Eddowes, and Kelly was likely - to some degree - emulating or was inspired by the man who killed Tabram.

Comment

Here I am replying to my own post again. But, what the heck.

I just remembered a conversation I had with my wife several years back (before kids, obviously) on long car trip (it must have gotten really boring for her to discuss JtR). At that time I was dead set against Tabram (as well as McKenzie and Coles). She said that she would argue that they were all killed by JtR. I told her she didn't have much information to base that on. She agreed but said to think of it this way, if one day out of the blue, postal workers (as opposed to prostitutes), between noon and 5pm (as opposed midnight to 5am), started getting murdered by someone smashing them on top of the head with hammer (as opposed to having their throats slashed), some had drawings on their stomachs (not mutilations), some didn't. Regardless, it's not unreasonable to think it's the same guy.

In light of numbers in the study (even as we concede they don't tell the whole story) she may have had a point. Though, I'll never tell her that.

Comment

Nice posts, Patrick.

Re Tabram, her genitals may not have been mutilated or sliced as such, but I do believe her killer stabbed her in that area, showing a possible morbid interest.

Emma Smith's killer showed a definite morbid interest in that area, and the victims were both attacked on Bank Holidays, less than a minute's walk from each other.

Something very out of the ordinary was happening that year.

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Thanks, caz. I've never viewed Smith as a potential JtR victim. I'm interested in any information you can pass along that may help influence me in the other direction.

I finished re-reading Sugden last night and in the final chapter 'Final Thoughts' (I think) he mentions looking at the criminal records in the years leading up to 1888 for any crimes that may have had the potential to have evolved into what we saw in happen in 1888. His contention being that JtR was almost certainly a local man and his MO clearly did not emerge fully mature with his first murder, be it Smith, Tabram, Nichols, or otherwise.

Comment

a thought

Hello Caroline. Perhaps he intended to rip the genital area but was interrupted? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick S View Post
              Thanks, caz. I've never viewed Smith as a potential JtR victim. I'm interested in any information you can pass along that may help influence me in the other direction.

I finished re-reading Sugden last night and in the final chapter 'Final Thoughts' (I think) he mentions looking at the criminal records in the years leading up to 1888 for any crimes that may have had the potential to have evolved into what we saw in happen in 1888. His contention being that JtR was almost certainly a local man and his MO clearly did not emerge fully mature with his first murder, be it Smith, Tabram, Nichols, or otherwise.
              Hi Patrick,

It's not so much information as gut feeling (sorry victims, no pun intended! ).

What happened to poor Emma Smith was vile and pretty exceptional, even as an example of gang crime. She only said there were three of them, and she took a long time to seek help, without alerting any policemen to her ordeal on the way, which could suggest that she had solicited a "wrong'un" and paid a terrible price, and could not bring herself to admit how she really came by her horrible internal injury. Shades of vicars going to A&E with ketchup bottles stuck up their bottoms, claiming they fell onto the kitchen table while putting up curtain tracks naked.

In any case, even if Smith spoke the truth, only one man inflicted the single fatal injury, and there seems to have been no obvious motive for the crime, apart from sheer brutal malice - sexual violence for its own sake.

I don't see any reason why this sick individual would have stopped there, and not warmed to the task of hunting down similarly vulnerable women, next time with a sharper weapon and no audience.

Love,

Caz
              X
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hello Patrick

I’m certain that there is conflicting information with respect to Whitechapel violent crime rates of this period. As well, I think it’s a certainty that more than a few of those 69 accident victims were, in fact, murdered. I would also be surprised if there were only two suicides in 1887. I’m sure that several accidents were actually suicides, as well.
                I've long wondered, without any particular evidence I hasten to add, whether violent crime could have been historically understated in this period.

Sarah Wise in "The Blackest Streets", (which I heartily recommend as a good read), quotes the case of Thomas Edwards, a hawker aged 57, who lived in Brick Lane near the Old Nichol - apparently he arrived home at midnight on 21st July 1888 with swollen eyes and his face covered in blood. He subsequently died three days later of a brain haemorrhage.

There were allegedly no fewer than ten witnesses prepared to testify that he'd been drugged, robbed, and subsequently "given the boot" by a group of Whitechapel women, but the coroner refused to allow them to address the court...and the jury brought in a verdict of accidental death.

Now I don't know that there was a conscious effort by the authorities to artificially depress the number of reported deaths by crimes of violence, or whether the coroner mentioned above had other motives for simplifying or shortening the proceedings, but a case like this makes me wonder...

The coroner concerned incidentally was one Roderick MacDonald who's name may be vaguely familiar...

All the best

Dave

Comment

MacDonald was the coroner on MJK, correct? I heard he initially wanted to call it a drowning death. I'm kidding. I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X