No announcement yet.

Ripper victims were caught sleeping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Simon. As I said, I may have missed it; obviously I did. How I don't know, as it is a well-known report.

Of course, if one wants to fish in uncertain waters, we also have the claims, entirely dismissed, that someone was pounding on doors and screaming bloody murder that night, and thus the crime was not as neat-and-clean as has been assumed.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Hi Steve. Do you have a specific citation in mind? I don't recall Helson, Spratling, nor Abberline specifically stating that Bucks Row was a known hot spot for prostitution, but perhaps I missed it. Most Ripper historians merely refer to its 'seclusion' or its proximity to Whitechapel Road. That she was soliciting is not based on any empirical evidence that Buck's Row was Nichols' usual patch, but is based on her activities and statements from earlier in the evening, 'what a jolly bonnet, etc.' Cheers.
      Hi RJ
      It's from the Police report of the 19th September:

"Bucks Row is a narrow quiet thoroughfare frequented by prostitutes for immoral purposes
      at night and no doubt the yard of 29 Hanbury Street has been used for a similar purpose.”

It does seem to have been largely missed by people.

I see Simon had provided it before I replied

Thanks Simon.

Steve
      Last edited by Elamarna; 02-22-2019, 10:17 PM.

Comment

What does appear likely,and I refer to Nichols and Chapman,is that in the very early hours of the mornings of their deaths,their main intent was to find a place to doss.They were tired and in need of sleep,as most of us are in the early hours.Both found themselves on the streets,not because that was their desire,but the circumstance of having no money.That they stayed on the streets,suggests to me that the means to obtain money did not occur..Whether the means involved prostitution,or some other involvement,leads to further suggestions,that if prostitution was the means,then there was a lack of cutomers,or they were seeking in the wrong places.Whatever,as time passed,the tiredness would increase,so I have no difficulty in accepting that at some stage they would stop and rest,and maybe sleep,and that occured,in the case of Chapman,at 29 Hanbury St,and Nichols in Bucks Row.

Comment

Harry, I agree, but nobody is saying that Nichols and Chapman couldn't have been sleeping, they're querying whether it is the most likely explanation for them being where they were found dead.

Also, Rubenhold's claim that ALL the victims were asleep when killed is a necessary corollary to her claim that the victims were not prostitutes, whereas the evidence is that they were and this is compounded by their confident prediction that they would quickly obtain their doss money and be back at their respective lodging houses in a short time. Given the number of ways they could have hoped to quickly make their doss money so late at night, their confidence is, as already said, highly suggestive. So, we have two known prostitutes intending to quickly obtain their doss money being found in a dark and/or secluded place... does the idea that they were sleeping there come high up the list of probabilities? But even if Nichols and Chapman did collapse in those places from exhaustion, it doesn't help Rubenhold's foundation argument that they weren't prostitutes. Not, of course, that you were arguing otherwise.

Comment

Since the Square was empty at 1.30, Kate Eddowes must have gone to sleep AND been disembowelled in 15 minutes - ten, if Lawende saw her.

Comment

Typical! Someone comes up with a nice theory and then someone who knows the subject comes along and just has to spoil it.Haveyou no shame?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                Typical! Someone comes up with a nice theory and then someone who knows the subject comes along and just has to spoil it.Haveyou no shame?
                Obviously, when she laid down her weary head she bumped it on the cast iron coal hole cover and rendered herself temporarily unconscious.

Comment

Eddowes seems to have fallen asleep whilst thimble tapping. Or sewing. Whichever.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I'm curious to see what this author makes of MJK's previous life, as she is the most enigmatic of the victims, and the one we know the least about.

Pat D.
                    Last edited by Pcdunn; 02-23-2019, 07:59 PM. Reason: Autocorrect correction
                    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                    ---------------
                    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                      I'm curious to see what this author makes of MJK's previous life, as she is the most enigmatic of the victims, and the one we know the least about.

Pat D.
                      Don't hold your breath.

Comment

My postings are not in support of any author,nor do I claim to have the answer as to what state of activity or non activity the victims were engaged in at time of death.
                        As to the most obvious answer or explanation,I have yet to see it.Some write that Bucks Row was neither a good place for a prostitute to seek a customer,nor a good place for the Ripper to seek a victim,yet both can be placed together there,so what is the obvious explanation for that meeting? Leaving aside that any such meeting was prearranged,it might suggest the claim of Whitechapel streets being a haven, 24 hours a day,for prostitutes,is false.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
                          While it has always been assumed the five confirmed victims of the mysterious serial killer were soliciting when they were killed, Dr Hallie Rubenhold has said that they were all sleeping, and most of them were rough sleeping.

Apparently this Ripper "expert" has come out with a book claiming it's unfair to suggest Jack's victims were streetwalkers and that they must have been sleeping while attacked. I haven't seen mention of this on Casebook, but I don't monitor the forum that regularly. Just wondering if this book is a joke or for real.

Dr. John
                          I think the above can be modified a bit Dr, none of the Canonical Five were confirmed to have been killed by anyone specific, and there is certainly no confirmation that they were killed by the same man. The presumption that the Canonical Group were killed by Jack is just that.

As for sleeping, when they were attacked, logic alone dictates that Polly wasnt sleeping in plain view on the sidewalk, Annie could have been perhaps, Liz was not, Kate was not, and Mary may well have been. Thats 2 of 5...so, kind of a weak foundation for a new theory. When you add the fact that none of the Five have any known connection by murderer in the first place, ...well....
                          Michael Richards

Comment

It's becoming more and more obvious [to me, at least] that Polly Nichols was murdered elsewhere and carried to the location where she was found.
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                              It's becoming more and more obvious [to me, at least] that Polly Nichols was murdered elsewhere and carried to the location where she was found.
                              And so says an unknown author in a letter to Mrs. Hardiman of 29, Hanbury Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                                I see nothing at all to back that suggestion Simon, and plenty to argue otherwise.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X