Victim's simularities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victim's simularities

Has anyone else noticed that the Mortuary photo's of the 5 known victims have simular facial features like a round face. It could mean that the victims were stalked before they were killed and that Jack the Ripper had a preferred victim type. What do you all think?

If that is the case, then the preferred victim type seemed to abruptly change mid-way. If we include Martha Tabram as victim one, we see three victims in a row who were overweight and generally unattractive. But then with the Double Event it shifts to two victims who were somewhat more attractive and thinner (very thin with Kate Eddowes), culminating then with Mary Kelly who was said to be very attractive within the context of her class. I suppose it could be said that hair color tended to be dark- there were no blondes, and only one redhead with Mary Kelly. But ages ranged from 25 to 47. Basically I think the Ripper's preferred victim type was poor female prostitutes in general.

Comment

I agree, I think he chose his victims randomly. All were poor, given to drink and lived in a doss house (exept MJK but he had no way of knowing that, meeting her in the street). I doubt there was a particular "type" he went for.

greetings,

Addy

Comment

Likely random. Generally, it would be easy to find some similarities in a small group of only 5 elements but in the "canonical victims group" it's more amazing they're quite different in order of appearance, age, background.. and way to engagement also. The principal common feature is wellknown: they were (or looked like) lost women in 1888 East End - Whitechapel - Flower&Dean lodgings district, suggesting the killer(s) was someone well-acquainted in that small but overcrowded area.

Humbly

Comment

Hi Addy and Nino

Kelly being the only victim killed indoors, the last one and the only one in her twenties, I don't believe she was a random choice.

Nino, you're lucky to live in Lago di Garda. Awasome place. I've been there twice (Desenzano, Salo, etc), bianco frizzante in front of the lake.

Comment

Hi DVV,

True, Mary Kelly is different but I doubt she was not a random choice. She was killed indoors but I don't think the Ripper would have known that. She was on the streets, under the influence of drink (as some of the others were as well) and that probably made her a more easy victim than an older but more alert woman. I personally believe she was just as random a choice as the rest. If the Ripper wanted her killed from the start and cover it up as the act of a serial killer, why did he not start on younger prostitutes from the start?

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

why?

Hello Addy.

"If the Ripper wanted her killed from the start and cover it up as the act of a serial killer, why did he not start on younger prostitutes from the start?"

But why kill any others at all--given such a motive? There were already 4 killings at least, so why not just kill her and try to pass it off as another in the series?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

That is what I am wondering too. And if he had wanted her dead, he could have done that without completely butchering her. There were often enough violent crimes in those days and many were not solved, so why take all these risks?

If you look at how the Ripper progressed with the violence he committed on the women, I would say Mary Kelly was one in a row and not an intended victim. The fact that she had her own place gave him the opportunity to do whatever he wanted but if she had been murdered in the street, she would probably have been mutilated as well.

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

butchering

Hello Addy.

"And if he had wanted her dead, he could have done that without completely butchering her."

Precisely. It seems that either:

1. He tried to obliterate her.

2. Make her unrecognisable.

The question becomes, Why?

Let me know if you can think of something. Right now, I prefer 1 and it seems the result of severe mental illness plus some other thing.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

I personally adhere to the theory that being in her room he had the chance to do everything he wanted. If you look from Nichols to Eddowes, the mutilations became worse. And now he had the chance to go even further. I also think he wanted to obliterate her, not for personal reasons but because now he could.

As to why, I agree with the idea that he hated women (particularly prostitutes) and that he had a mental illness. There are probably plenty of men who don't like women but don't go around butchering them. There must be something wrong in your way of thinking if you go around killing women and opening them up to take organs with you. Most serial killers have a mental problem.

I still think she was a random victim. And that she also would have been mutilated if she hadn't had her own room but not so severely.

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

ideas

Hello Addy.

"I personally adhere to the theory that being in her room he had the chance to do everything he wanted."

Well, if he didn't wake up any of the neighbours.

"If you look from Nichols to Eddowes, the mutilations became worse."

If you discount Stride.

"And now he had the chance to go even further. I also think he wanted to obliterate her, not for personal reasons but because now he could."

So, if it was that important to him, why not do it indoors before?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

Yes he had to be careful not to wake the neighbours, but he managed the previous times outdoors without alerting people, even while murdering in their ow backyard.

As for Stride, I think the Ripper was disturbed when he killed her

I think he didn't murder indoors before because he didn't meet someone with her own place before. I don't think he wanted to try in a doss house, it would be almost impossible to do it there.

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

Originally posted by Addy View Post
                          Hi Lynn,

Yes he had to be careful not to wake the neighbours, but he managed the previous times outdoors without alerting people, even while murdering in their ow backyard.

As for Stride, I think the Ripper was disturbed when he killed her

I think he didn't murder indoors before because he didn't meet someone with her own place before. I don't think he wanted to try in a doss house, it would be almost impossible to do it there.

Greetings,

Addy
                          Even if he had awakened the neighbors:

1. at the time of the noise, they would just have thought it was Kelly moving around

2. they would not have done anything about it. She sang for a long time without anyone going to the door, knocking and telling her to quiet down.

So, he would still have escaped . . .

Comment

questions

Hello Addy.

"he managed the previous times outdoors without alerting people, even while murdering in their ow backyard."

You seem convinced that the slayer of MJK slew the other 4. Why is that?

"As for Stride, I think the Ripper was disturbed when he killed her."

This is a common assumption. Do you believe this because you already are convinced that she is a "Ripper" victim and wish to account for the lack of mutilations?

"I think he didn't murder indoors before because he didn't meet someone with her own place before."

But could he not have sought such a person before deciding to kill and mutilate?

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Lynn, if there was more than one ripper in Automn 1888, Albert DeSalvo must be a village.

Comment

Working...
                              X