Prostitution Only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prostitution Only?

Could any of the women have made enough money to survive by prostituition alone?
    They weren't in their prime any more except for Mary so it occured to me could they really have made enough to live on without doing any other kind of work.

Hi Belinda,

Polly Nichols spent almost her entire time in and out of workhouses in the later years of her life, and she would just have worked in the laundry or kitchen there. She probably only resorted to prostitution in the gaps between work houses and casual wards. She was placed as a domestic with the Cowdrys at Ingleside for a couple of months, but that soon went out of the window and it's more or less certain that she existed purely on prostitution or possibly theft between that time and the time she was murdered. The fact that she was at the White House for the last ten days or so of her life, probably meant that she was getting her bed paid for by one or more men in payment for services rendered.

Annie certainly used to make a living selling bric a brac, crochet work and silk flowers at Statford and allegedly sold along Hanbury Street and even at number 29 according to at least one newspaper report. It seems that she only resorted to prostitution when she couldn't get money any other way.

Elizabeth allegedly did cleaning work around the area, and she certainly cleaned a couple of rooms at her lodging house on the day she was murdered, so it seems very likely that she did earn a fair bit of her money, either charring or as a seamstress. The piece of green velvet might support the latter. I can't imagine she would have procured a piece of green velvet if she couldn't do anything with it. She was a known prostitute though, so it would seem pretty certain that she made her income up with the odd leg-over.

Kate and John had just returned from hopping and it seems likely that John brought in more income than Kate generally and that she probably just did odd jobs charring and whatever work she could find for them to get by. It's not certain that she was a part-time prostitute, but it would seem, looking at the evidence that she did prostitute herself when all else failed.

Mary appears not to have had any work, so when Joe lost his job at Billingsgate, it looks as if she went back to prostitution full time and used that and the pittance that Joe gave her to keep her bones together.

Hard times.

Hugs

Janie

xxxxx
    I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

I may be wrong, but was there not some mention of Mary Jane Kelly and her temporary room-mate doing the odd bit of laundry for cash?

I can't find a link for that right now, and I am virtually hallucinating from anti-flu medication so I may be entirely wrong - but it's something I think I remember reading somewhere on casebook.

Michael

Comment

I think it highly likely also that, judging by her behaviour on the night of Nov 8th / 9th 1888, Kelly was in the habit of singing about violets until her neighbours paid her to stop singing and let them get some sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
          I think it highly likely also that, judging by her behaviour on the night of Nov 8th / 9th 1888, Kelly was in the habit of singing about violets until her neighbours paid her to stop singing and let them get some sleep.
          Hello Henry,

It could have been a lot worse, she could have been singing a bawdy 13th Century verse about Maid Marion. Or reciting the self-made musical long version of The Canterbury Tales...

PS Get well soon... been there this autumn.. it's a nasty one this year.

best wishes

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
          Accountability? ....

Comment

Or "100 bottles of ginger beer on the wall, 100 bottles of ginger beer...take one down, pass it around, 99 bottles of ginger beer on the wall"...
            I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
            Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Hi,

'Laundress', or 'seamstress' was often a euphemism for prostitution back then. Apart from anything else, Mary had no facilities to take in washing and launder it, so if she did dash away with the smoothing iron, it certainly wasn't in Miller's Court.

Hugs

Janie

xxxx
              I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Hello All,

Don't forget it was Polly Nichols worked in various places apart from prostitution. As did they all at some point.

Edit: sorry if this post seems redundant. Jane summed it all up quite nicely.
                Last edited by corey123; 11-18-2010, 02:02 AM.
                Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                  Hello Henry,

It could have been a lot worse, she could have been singing a bawdy 13th Century verse about Maid Marion. Or reciting the self-made musical long version of The Canterbury Tales...

PS Get well soon... been there this autumn.. it's a nasty one this year.

best wishes

Phil
                  Phil Carter - thank you for your best wishes. Sore throat gone, only faucet-nose remaining to plague me. And, er, what's wrong with bawdy verse?! It beats violets and dead mothers, surely!?

Comment

Originally posted by sleekviper View Post
                    Or "100 bottles of ginger beer on the wall, 100 bottles of ginger beer...take one down, pass it around, 99 bottles of ginger beer on the wall"...
                    Sleekviper - previously I've looked at the photos of Millers Court and thought that I couldn't imagine anything that could make the scenario any more of a nightmare than it was. But then... the bottles of beer song..... for hours....

Now I'm not sure she was even a Ripper victim. If she sang that song, my money is on one of her neighbours being the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Coram View Post
                      Hi,

'Laundress', or 'seamstress' was often a euphemism for prostitution back then. Apart from anything else, Mary had no facilities to take in washing and launder it, so if she did dash away with the smoothing iron, it certainly wasn't in Miller's Court.

Hugs

Janie

xxxx
                      Thank you Jane - I'm sure that's what it probably was. We've never spoken here before but I'm a long-time admirer of your contributions.

(That sounded like a Frankie Howerd euphemism, but honestly wasn't meant to!)

Comment

Thanks for your great post Jane.That's my point they all did other work.The myth seems to be that they were all surving by prostitution alone but they don't seem to have made much from it.It seems to have been more of a last resort when they had no doss money ect.

A Side Note

I like to think that somewhere somebody has a piece of Annie Chapmans crochet work that has been kept as a family heirloom.

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                          Thanks for your great post Jane.That's my point they all did other work.The myth seems to be that they were all surving by prostitution alone but they don't seem to have made much from it.It seems to have been more of a last resort when they had no doss money ect.

A Side Note

I like to think that somewhere somebody has a piece of Annie Chapmans crochet work that has been kept as a family heirloom.

Which may have been quite often considering some of their drinking habits.

Comment

occupational hazards

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
                            Which may have been quite often considering some of their drinking habits.
                            Though it is strictly speculation on my part, I would not be surprized to learn one or all of them resorted to petty theft. I use the chance opportunistic theft of a sailors wallet and the trigger for the Tabram murder in my novel and it seems to me a workable hypotheses that one or all may have on occassion indulged ina little petty larceny.
                            Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post

A Side Note

It's a great pity that there is no way of knowing, but I like that thought.
                              I too was of the understanding that many of the victims had other means of making money other than prostitution. I am sure that I read somewhere that the clothing burnt at MJK's room to fuel the fire during the night/morning of her murder was that left in her care by a friend (also a prostitute) for laundry...I would think prostitution would be a very last desperate resort for any woman...

All the best,
                              C. (still smiling at that "100 bottles of ginger beer on the wall" post!)
                              I read it all, every word, and I still don't understand a thing... - Travis

Comment

Working...
                              X