X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richardnunweek
    replied
    Hi DD
    I would say that if the Ripper had no personal motive, which was aligned to only his self, then a moden day investigation would have searched initially. for people that would have fitted the profile that you have described.
    But alas we are none the wiser..
    Richard,

Leave a comment:

• Defective Detective
    replied
    It is almost a certainty to me that the Ripper, whoever he was, would have begun his campaign against the female sex by degrees, and that he likely would have begun with a 'harmless enough' transgression like peeping at women in states of undress. Consider the case of Jerry Brudos, who had begun stealing women's shoes and underwear as a preteen and only escalated to murder after his marriage - he had a long track record of sexual misconduct well before he took his first life. I would definitely include Jack the Ripper's crimes under the German umbrella term lustmord along with Brudos, except that his trophies had a much greater immediacy for his victims than did Brudos' shoes and stockings. I often speculate that, if we somehow were able to find a list of such criminals in the Whitechapel area immediately preceding the Ripper slayings, we would be that much closer to having our man.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Richard

R Harding Davis reports Inspector Moore as saying that the Ripper exited through a window - but through the larger one, not the smaller.

Inspector Moore also reportedly said that the Ripper hung bits of Kelly all around the room, including on the back of a chair, so I can't help feeling that something had got garbled somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• richardnunweek
    replied
    Hi Chava,
    There was a belief if I am correct that the killer actually left the room via the window, and that was the reason the door was locked, that of course may explain why blood was evident, but would that have been possible?, surely exiting through the door would have been easier, or did the door jam?, and the police had no alternative but to have McCarthy wedge it open.
    lots of questions...
    The creeper theory personally I find plausible, its possible that the Ripper was the type of creep that observed women with men, and moved in on them after they had left. that scenerio could work well with Tabram. Chapman, Stride, Eddowes. Kelly, and even Mackenzie, we simply do not know with Nichols,.. did she meet a customer after she and Holland departed , possible taking the time lapse into consideration.
    Good thread.
    Regards Richard.

Leave a comment:

• Chava
    started a topic Jack The Creeper

Jack The Creeper

This thread arises out of the discussions on the Broken Window Pane thread in Mary Jane Kelly's area.

An early Daily Telegraph report, which was found clipped and in the police files, suggests that when Bowyer reached through the broken window at 13 Millers Court and drew the pilot coat back that was hanging there as a curtain, he was prompted to do so because he noticed blood on the broken pane of glass. Now we don't know for sure that this was true, and it doesn't seem to have been picked up elsewhere, but Bowyer gives it as his reason for looking into the room and so finding MJK's body. If the sighting of blood is true, I don't see any way it could come from MJK. She was lying across the room, arterial spurt was directed towards the far wall, and any other blood in the area of the window would have been blocked and absorbed by the pilot coat hanging over it as a de facto curtain. The coat blocks the jagged glass of the window completely. So no blood transfers to the glass. Even if the killer pulled the curtain away to see how dark it was or whatever, he's still a fair way from the jagged glass. So if there was blood there, I believe it came from the killer, who gained access to the room the same way Barnett did--by leaning through and reaching over to the lock.

So let's follow this train of thought a little. Because it leads us to a random and opportunistic killer who prowls around at night, sees a possible victim, and acts immediately. In Canada we've just heard all about the serial killer Russell Williams who did exactly that. A killer such as this would not just be found in more prosperous neighbourhoods. In fact a place like Millers Court would be perfect for him. If he creeps around there in the small hours, he might well notice the broken window and look inside the room. Where he sees a woman alone and asleep.

If the Ripper is also a stalker and an opportunistic killer, it's possible this is how he finds his other victims. I've always thought that Chapman took her killer back through 29 Hanbury Street to the back yard because he'd said he wanted 'business'. This is still entirely possible. Elizabeth Long identified Chapman talking to a man outside the house at 5.30 am. However her timing and that of Albert Cadoche's don't jibe. It's possible she saw someone else. And it's also possible that Chapman went by herself through into the yard, probably in order to relieve herself somewhere in the garden. The Creeper spots her heading that way and follows her. You see, the thing is, we don't know for sure that Nicholls, Chapman, Stride, Eddowes and MJK had any contact at all with their killer ahead of his killing them even though there are witnesses that describe them with men. They were prostitutes after all, and that's how they made whatever money they had. He could have picked them up in the normal way and chatted for a while. Or he could have simply followed them until they arrived at a quiet and private enough area and jumped them.

I'm not saying this is for sure what happened. But I am saying it's a possibility I've never really considered. I'd love to know if there was someone at that time who was going into houses and stealing underdrawers and petticoats etc.
Working...
X