No announcement yet.

The Ghost of.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Beowulf, don't know if you have read this one. I like it much.
    And Richard H Davis was such a good writer and fascinating individual. I love "In the Fog", as everyone would, I think.

Last edited by DVV; 03-08-2012, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
      Hi Beowulf, don't know if you have read this one. I like it much.
      And Richard H Davis was such a good writer and fascinating individual. I love "In the Fog", as everyone would, I think.

http://www.casebook.org/press_report.../18891104.html
      I've never heard of Richard H Davis, but when I looked him up on the internet there was a picture of him. He was exceedingly handsome, which always makes for interest.

Was it he who went to Dorset street and entered the home? Wish there were more.Was this fiction? He seems to have written both. Amazing story, a man living there, so unruffled it seems by the previous tennants demise. I can't help but wonder if that may have even been the same bed. Who knows how he felt at night.

What is 'in the fog' has it anything to do with JTR?
      Fascinating.
      Attached Files

Comment

The atmosphere of In the Fog, the fact that he placed the story in London, might have something to do with the ripper myth and "imagerie". That's what I feel, at least.
        I also believe that, as his masterpierce, it contributes to make Davis a fascinating character.
        And if I'm not mistaken, yes, it was he in Dorset Street.
        Last edited by DVV; 03-08-2012, 01:49 AM.

Comment

The atmosphere of In the Fog, the fact that he placed the story in London, might have something to do with the ripper myth and "imagerie". That's what I feel, at least.
          I also believe that, as his masterpierce, it contributes to make Davis a fascinating character.
          And if I'm not mistaken, yes, it was he in Dorset Street.
          Found a copy on ebay of In the fog, an original book and bought it, inexpensive, 10 dollars. Thank you, love reading this sort of thing, my mother plans to read it too

How fascinating, to have gone there, a fascinating character, can't believe it was rented again after the murder!

Looking forward to that 'imagerie'.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
            Found a copy on ebay of In the fog, an original book and bought it, inexpensive, 10 dollars. Thank you, love reading this sort of thing, my mother plans to read it too

How fascinating, to have gone there, a fascinating character, can't believe it was rented again after the murder!

Looking forward to that 'imagerie'.
            You'll both enjoy it.
            By "imagerie", I mean : Davis plays with London and the fog as perceived by foreigners. How atmospheric, chilling and charming at the same time, etc, blablabla, patin coufin. Of course JtR hasn't created the London fog, but people are disappointed when you tell them there was no fog on canonical nights, aren't they ?

Comment

You'll both enjoy it.
              By "imagerie", I mean : Davis plays with London and the fog as perceived by foreigners. How atmospheric, chilling and charming at the same time, etc, blablabla, patin coufin. Of course JtR hasn't created the London fog, but people are disappointed when you tell them there was no fog on canonical nights, aren't they ?
              Yes, the fog wasn't there, darn weather not cooperating with the mood of the thing and all.

But I bet if you asked Jack he'd say he had enough trouble on the streets without light and it was annoying enough to have to constantly feed the fire at Mary's in order to see what he was doing.

Comment

Working...
              X