Elizabeth Jutsem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Jutsem

Do we know anything about this woman, or any more about the discovery of her body on October 6, 1888?

ANOTHER THAMES MYSTERY.

The Body of a Woman Taken from the River at Pimlico.

A about half-past eight this morning the Thames police found in the river, near Pimlico Pier, the body of a woman, apparently between 40 and 50 years of age. She was respectably dressed in black, and looked as if she might have been the wife of an artisan. She had evidently only been in the water for a period of about three or four hours, so that the time of her death would be in the small hours of this morning. In one of her pockets were found pawn-tickets, indicating that she had pledged articles as late as seven o'clock last evening. The cause of her death was

UNDOUBTEDLY DROWNING,

a fact indicated by the quantity of water in her stomach, but as there were no external marks of injury on her body, it is impossible to say whether she came by her death suicidally, accidentally, or by being pushed into the water. She was a strong, healthy woman, and apparently well nourished. Dr. Neville, the police surgeon, has made a post-mortem examination of the body, which establishes the fact that death was due to drowning. The police believe that the woman committed suicide. She has been identified as Elizabeth Jutsem, aged 52, of 21, Westmoreland-road, Pimlico. She left home last night.

(The Star, October 6, 1888)

Hi Trevor
    In the index of deaths for that quater (1888 Quarter 4) her surname is spelt JUTSUM and her age given as 56
    Hope this helps
    Chris
    Attached Files

Comment

Elizabeth Jutsum
      Died last quarter of 1888 aged 56
      Born circa 1832

1881 census:
      26 King Street, Chelsea
      Head: T C Jutsum aged 48 born Pimlico - Paperhanger
      Wife: Elizabeth Jutsum aged 49 born Gloucestershire
      Children:
      W L aged 15 born Chelsea
      Maude aged 12 born Chelsea

Her husband had the amazing name of Thomas Cheezemand Jutsum and her maiden name was Elizabeth Walton. They married in 1853 and their marriage certificate is below
      Attached Files

Comment

Presumably the police must have had some reason for believing the lady committed suicide. If a note had been found, we might expect them to have been described as being confident about suicide. I am assuming that some sort of investigation would have taken place so perhaps some insight into Mrs. J's state of mind was gained. Just a thought but might the fact that she was dressed in black be significant? I remember reading somewhere that the Victorians had very detailed ettiquette regarding degrees and periods of mourning.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Chris - I am, as ever, in awe of your research and also the speed at which it arrives! Many thanks for your help. It may just be my eyes, but I can't seem to make out the address for Elizabeth on the marriage certificate - any ideas?

I realise this is only very tangentially related to the Whitechapel Murders, and am grateful to see people taking the time to look into it. Unfortunately my mind works in somewhat tangential ways...

Steven - that struck me too, the wording is hardly conclusive. Which makes it even stranger that it doesn't appear to have been followed up at all.

Thanks both for the input.

Comment

Hi Trevor
            Im glad it was of use:-)
            The address LOOKS like 9 Camera Street but that is by no means certain. I thought initially it said Cannon Street but the word appears to end in an -a
            Regards
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
              Hi Trevor
              Im glad it was of use:-)
              The address LOOKS like 9 Camera Street but that is by no means certain. I thought initially it said Cannon Street but the word appears to end in an -a
              Regards
              Chris
              Chris,

After some squinting I have come to much the same conclusion. There was indeed a Camera Street in Kensington (which is pretty much spot on for where we could reasonably expect to find someone getting married in Chelsea) - it is still there, although it has been renamed Camera Place. It is a short road running east-west, close to the famous Kings Road and also (now) the Westminster and Chelsea Hospital.

I have to say Steve, the idea of getting dressed all in black for your own death is one of the creepiest images I have had in my head for a long time. Um, thanks!

Best to all,

Trevor.

Images -

1) Camera Street from the London A-Z of 1938. This is the best quality scan I could come up with, sorry. Marked accordingly.
              2) Camera Place today.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Trevor
                in 1891 the following three are listed:
                Camera Square, St Andrew, CHELSEA
                Camera Street, Little, St Andrew, CHELSEA
                Camera Street, St Andrew, CHELSEA
                This is from the very useful site "London Streets" at

Out of interest below is an entry relating to an earlier resident at this address. This came up in a search of the "Diocese of London Consistory Court Wills" Index
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Chris Scott; 05-11-2010, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Posted by tnb: "I have to say Steve, the idea of getting dressed all in black for your own death is one of the creepiest images I have had in my head for a long time. Um, thanks!"

You're very welcome, Trevor. That is creepy but what I meant to suggest was that Mrs.J was in mourning for a loved one and that this person's death had triggered or strengthened her suicidal thinking. Weak stuff, I know, but the colour of her clothing was considered newsworthy by the Star man.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Hi Steven
                    Thanks for that
                    It can't be her husband she was mourning as he lived on til 1890:
                    Name: Thomas C Jutsum
                    Estimated birth year: abt 1831
                    Year of Registration: 1890
                    Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
                    Age at Death: 59
                    District: St George Hanover Square
                    County: London, Middlesex

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                      Hi Steven
                      Thanks for that
                      It can't be her husband she was mourning as he lived on til 1890:
                      Name: Thomas C Jutsum
                      Estimated birth year: abt 1831
                      Year of Registration: 1890
                      Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
                      Age at Death: 59
                      District: St George Hanover Square
                      County: London, Middlesex
                      Nice one, Chris.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Working...