No announcement yet.

Who was Jack's first murder poll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first time I heard about the diary was from Ed Bradley on 60 Minutes.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hi Stan, why is Annie Millwood written in italics ?
      If I remember well, you think it was a murder rather than an attempted murder, don't you ? (and you're right...)

Comment

• Yes, I think she should probably be considered a murder. I think a name shows up in italics to indicate what your vote was. It does not show that way to me.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Stan, by any chance, do you know the name of the doc who discharged her as cured ?

Comment

• Sorry David - no I don't. If it's known, I'm confident that someone on here will know.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Almost 1 out of 10 think it was Millwood; that's pretty surprising to me. Rumbelow's book, the definitive JtR work of the 1970s, doesn't even mention her.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Or, any before her I don't think other than Rainham.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                  Hi Ben,

My thinking with this is at what point does the penny drop? i.e. the realisation that he could cut the throat and the blood will flow away from him?

See, I don't think this is the natural progression of self-teaching.

Someone like me, who has absolutely no knowledge of the body, simply wouldn't arrive at that conclusion after a couple of frenzied stabbing attacks. How would I know? How would it suddenly dawn on me? I simply wouldn't make that leap to cutting the throat and tilting the head; I'd just assume that blood splatter was an inevitable part of murder.

I think he must have known the most efficient method blood wise, and aware of it prior to when he started out, making Nichols the first.

then you must envision some background that would give him that knowledge?

Right?

What are you seeing?

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                    Almost 1 out of 10 think it was Millwood; that's pretty surprising to me. Rumbelow's book, the definitive JtR work of the 1970s, doesn't even mention her.
                    Does anyone know in which Ripper book Millwood was first mentioned as a potential JtR victim?

Stan Reid

Comment

• I believe that would be Martin Fido's, Stan. And I'm shocked 9 people have picked her. Also surprising are the 6 who picked Emma Smith and the astounding 52 who picked Tabram (as compared to the 27 for Nichols).

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Thanks Tom. Yes, several surprises.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                          Does anyone know in which Ripper book Millwood was first mentioned as a potential JtR victim?
                          Yep, Fido. The same about Ada Wilson.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

• Ah, so I guess about 25 years now then.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Always gone with Martha as being first proper victim. Milwood may have been an early go, don't suppose he got it right first time,
                              There were very few Murders in Whitechapel and in spite of the 39 stab wounds and lack of throat cutting, there is more in common with Jack's MO than against. Their is a lack of control in the method [ think he realised throat cutting was more effective afterward and used a more suitable knife for throat cutting.
                              The murder took place just after a weekend on a bank holiday night.
                              The murder took place within the location of Jack's activity.
                              The murder took place 13 days before the murder of Polly Nichols.
                              The victim was typical of Jack's victims.
                              The murder was 'silent; as were Jack's other murders, no one heard any commotion.
                              Martha was on her back with her skirt pulled up, legs open and displayed.
                              That is the MO, his display of the victims, not the same as method, method can change.
                              There were no other display murders in East London.

I think Mckensie may have been a victim

Miss Marple
                              Last edited by miss marple; 06-12-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• For the most part I agree with Miss Marple's list. (Miss Marple's list sounds like a book or movie title, by the way.) However:
                                Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                                The murder was 'silent; as were Jack's other murders, no one heard any commotion.
                                Not necessarily, as we don't know if the people at George's Yard didn't lie about the noise, particularly the superintendent and his wife.
                                Martha was on her back with her skirt pulled up, legs open and displayed.
                                The positions the bodies were found in might have been attained simply for commodity, since the perp extracted their organs.
                                That is the MO, his display of the victims, not the same as method, method can change. There were no other display murders in East London.
                                In my interpretation the action this perp was most interested in was the disembowelment/ postmortem exploration. There were not many cases of disembowelment in Victorian Whitechapel either, apart from the possible hints for disembowelment on one of the torso murders, if I'm not mistaken?
                                Best regards,
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X