Who was Jack's first murder poll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe the votes for Chapman and Fay are identical though
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Perhaps I should say non-votes in the case of Fay.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I don't believe that one of the murders even involved a weapon.

Stan Reid

Comment

• How many of us would want to redo our vote after reading Tom Wescott's The Bank Holiday Murders? Perhaps this poll needs redone!

Comment

• Hi Barnaby

I couldn't agree more...even if you can't go all the way with Tom's ideas it's one of the most thought-provoking books...certainly made me totally rethink the early cases...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
              I don't believe that one of the murders even involved a weapon.
              I think Horsnail was stomped or kicked.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hi all,

First time I saw this thread, and I voted for Martha Tabram...however it is for the sake of order. She and Mary Ann Nicholls are the beginning and end of August, Annie Chapman and the "Double Event" are the beginning and end of September. That looks sensible.

I have my own feeling about Mary Kelly's. Yes her killing could be a culmination of the killings - in that she is the actual target (and will get the worst treatment), or that there was additional reason for venting rage by the Ripper to the unfortunate Mary. But he had not been active for all of October. The shambles at Dorset Street could be due to pent up fury and energy by Jack who for some reason could not be active in October. And whatever that reason was is tied to his pathological hatred of prostitutes. Mary was unfortunate enough to get the brunt of this.

If we accept my thoughts on Mary Kelly's last horrible night, we then realize that the Ripper did have a problem - touched on in an earlier comment on this thread: how to top Miller's Court? He may have wondered around Whitechapel afterwards trying to figure out what next - maybe even essaying some killings like McKenzie's but not getting the same thrill.

How would one have topped it? Either rip two prostitutes to shreds on the street without being stopped (not just mutilations but exactly like MJK except in the open), or do three prostitutes in one night (to top September 29/30), or sacrifice himself by attacking and destroying a prostitute in an open space full of people in daylight (and risk his own neck?), or changing the target somehow. I once suggested what if he had "capped off" his targets going after some prominent female figure who was considered a loose woman, like any of the girlfriends and lovers of Prince Bertie (Daisy, Countess of Warwick, or actress Lily Langtry) in an open carriage. But those sorts of attacks would surely include the threat of capture.

I suspect he may have gone really mad afterwards realizing he'd never be able to top himself.

Jeff

Comment

• G'day Jeff

I suspect he may have gone really mad afterwards realizing he'd never be able to top himself.
                  Do you mean top himself as in do a more vicious killing, or suicide.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Hi GUT,

I meant top himself in finding a way to out-do the Miller Court horror.

Of course, if Jack was Druitt, he would have found a way to "top himself" the other way.

Jeff

Comment

• I thought that was the way you meant it and yep Montie probably did top himself.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                        I think Horsnail was stomped or kicked.
                        Hi Stan,

and viciously so.
                        We'll never know but she's possibly his first victim imo.

Cheers

Comment

• Wonder how many would now vote which way in the light of Tom's excellent book?

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                            Hi Stan,

and viciously so.
                            We'll never know but she's possibly his first victim imo.

Cheers
                            The fact that she suffered horribly and then died alone makes her case one of the saddest in my view.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I wish I knew more about her earlier life.

Stan Reid

Comment

• We do know more about her than most of the torso victims though.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X