Who was Jack's first murder poll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    Hi Nick. Either Mac was swayed by Dr. Bond's report or, more likely, he was trying to squeeze the time frame of the murders into as short a space as possible, in order to excuse the police from failure. Anderson did this too, so in hindsight they could say the killer was only loose for a few short weeks and then, through their great patrolling and whatnot, the murders stopped.

It was also understood at the time that Emma Smith and Tabram were killed by the same man/men. Some investigators, such as Reid and Dew, continued to believe this. Others, namely those not involved in the Smith investigation, dropped her from the tally sometime after 1888.

Incidentally, the murders of Smith and Tabram are as much alike as are those of Nichols and Eddowes.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
    Hi Tom,

Many thanks for that.

I hadn't thought of that and I think you are right and it makes perfect sense from the police perspective to suggest this.

Best

Nick

Comment

Incidentally, the murders of Smith and Tabram are as much alike as are those of Nichols and Eddowes.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      These two attacks were also about as close geographically as it was possible to get - and both on a bank holiday.

I do wonder if a fledgeling ripper was experimenting after a night out and a skinful of booze.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
        These two attacks were also about as close geographically as it was possible to get - and both on a bank holiday.

I do wonder if a fledgeling ripper was experimenting after a night out and a skinful of booze.

Love,

Caz
        X
        Hi Caz,

Yes I tend to agree, experimenting with his sexual fantasies which became more extreme as his urges grew perhaps.

Regards

Nick

Comment

• Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
          I notice that Martha Tabram is winning the poll hands down, with twice as many votes as the runner up.
          Yes it's quite a striking lead isn't it. I think that, notwithstanding MacNaghten and the arguments surrounding the the Modus Operandi variation, most people who examine the case instinctively feel that Tabram was a ripper victim, even though there must of course always be doubts.

Comment

• Problem is, I've concluded that Smith and Tabram were killed by the same man. I'm not as confident in saying that Tabram and Nichols were. But IF Tabram and Nichols were killed by the same man, then that makes Emma Smith, and not Tabram, the first.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hi Tom

Problem is, I've concluded that Smith and Tabram were killed by the same man. I'm not as confident in saying that Tabram and Nichols were. But IF Tabram and Nichols were killed by the same man, then that makes Emma Smith, and not Tabram, the first.
              This is, to me at least, fascinating. Want to point out some of the factors that lead you towards this belief, or bearing in mind the book, is that a step too far at this stage?

Best regards

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                Hi Tom

This is, to me at least, fascinating. Want to point out some of the factors that lead you towards this belief, or bearing in mind the book, is that a step too far at this stage?

Best regards

Dave
                I can't speak on that just yet, but I will tell you this...Martha Tabram was not stabbed 39 times. She was stabbed once with a 39-prong fork. Caz, John Bennett, Monty, and Don Rumbelow will back me up on that.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• OK Tom so there's nothing I can currently take seriously

All the best

Dave

Comment

I can't speak on that just yet, but I will tell you this...Martha Tabram was not stabbed 39 times. She was stabbed once with a 39-prong fork. Caz, John Bennett, Monty, and Don Rumbelow will back me up on that.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                    Hi Tom,

Well either that, or three forks each with 13 prongs. Don Rumbelow says they were all blunt too, from digging the garden. But I wouldn't go that far myself.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

She was stabbed once with a 39-prong fork.
                      Tom Wescott

Hahaha hilarious!

Helena
                      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

• Both sites still agree on the first two and in the same order.
                        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• And, pretty close to the same percentages too.

Stan Reid

Comment

• G'Day Stan

Could reflect a large crossover of subscribers.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• That's certainly a factor, yes.

Stan Reid

Comment

• The two polls are similar but not identical by any means.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X