Who is Liffey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Liffey?

I found this little snippet whilst transcribing, the article is dated, 10th September 1888, from the Hull Daily News

THE ARREST OF “LEATHER APRON”

The Press Association telegraphs that about one o’clock this morning a detective arrested a man known as “Leather Apron,” who was wanted in connection with the Whitechapel murder, at 22 Mulberry-street, Commercial-street. The real name of the man is John Piser, but his friends deny that he has ever been known by the nickname of “Leather Apron.” When the detective called at the house the door was opened by the prisoner himself. “Just the man I want,” said the detective, who charged him on suspicion of being connected with the murder of the woman Liffey.

I have searched online, via casebook, via casebook press project, via jtrforums.com in the A-Z, The Encyclopedia, and cannot find anything.
    Last edited by Mike Covell; 11-15-2008, 01:29 PM.
    Regards Mike

Hi Mike
    I dimly remember seeing this before in a press account and assumed it was a garbled version of Annie Siffey aka Annie Chapman
    Regards
    Chris

Comment

Ah right, a typo courtesy of our Victorian Journo's!!

I am finding a few this morning about "Hambro'-street", which upon further reading turns into "Hanbury-street"
      Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Mike
        I have also seen it referred to on occasion as Hamburg Street!

Comment

Working...
        X