Mary Ann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ann

I was wondering if anyone has ever linked Mary Ann Cotton's serial killer splurge, with Jack the Ripper's victims. Or, indeed, with Jack the Ripper in general.
    On the other hand you have different fingers.

Mary Ann Cotton murdered her husbands and children by poisoning, in some instances to collect insurance, and was executed in 1873.

One effect that Cotton's crimes may have had on the Ripper murders was that it, along with other famous female murderers of the time, created an atmosphere that made the notion of a woman carrying out the crimes of 'Jack the Ripper' not too far fetched. That a woman could be responsible for the murders was put forward in all seriousness by various early writers on the subject.

If this does not answer your question, maybe you can be a bit more specific?

And welcome to the Casebook,

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 10-02-2008, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jane.smith View Post
      I was wondering if anyone has ever linked Mary Ann Cotton's serial killer splurge, with Jack the Ripper's victims.
      Because of the name "Mary Ann"? Probably not, for the same reason that they don't link the Ripper murders with Gilligan's Island and other random references to that name. It's probably the most common pairing of first and middle name there is.

Dan Norder
      Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
      Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Hi
        Personally I think it highly unlikely- MO aside.

I'm not about to go into the Cotton case- That's easily accessible-

I personally don't see any connection with Mary Ann Cotton that would lead to the person who became known as JTR becoming 'inspired' to go off on an 'Autumn of Terror' ! IMHO

Suzi x

Now if I were to start pushing prams about containing Gawd knows what-that may be a different question!

Mary- Jane,Mary- Ann etc were as common as-----well common in the LVP as referenced in many a Music Hall song...Mary- Ellen too come to think of it!

As to names- Victoria as in Queen was an unheard of name in 1837 when she came to the throne-
        Had it been known that she would become Queen of England she would never have been named Victoria,it would have been one of the traditional names such as Charlotte,Anne,Mary,Elizabeth etc. That must have mystified the English at the time-and possibly contributed to her early unpopularity!!

We do however have a sponge named after her!....and a LOT of pubs!!!

- and stations ,roads and other girlies
        By the way- as to names.WENDY was totally unknown until JM Barrie decided that Peter Pan needed some female interest- So he made it up!! Blessim!!!!
        Last edited by Suzi; 10-04-2008, 06:26 PM.
        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
        X