Attempted Murder of Malvina Haynes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempted Murder of Malvina Haynes

The 3rd April 1888 saw the brutal murder of Emma Smith. But on that day, another unfortunate woman was viciously attacked, resulting in her suffering permanant brain damage. Malvina Haynes (or Hayes) was attacked in the street, recieving injuries to her head. I found this from the The Eastern Post & City Chronicle. Apart from that, I haven't got anymore info. Anyone got anything else to add to this attack??

THE LATEST WHITECHAPEL MYSTERY.
    A WOMAN'S MEMORY GONE.

Malvina Haynes, who received very serious injuries to her head and scalp on the night of Bank Holiday, has been from that time until Tuesday lying quite unconscious at the London Hospital, no sounds but moans having escaped her lips. The sufferer has been under the care of Mr. George E. Haslip, the house surgeon, and yesterday the patient, upon regaining consciousness was only able to briefly relate the circumstances of the outrage. On many points her memory is an entire blank; and when questioned as to what her assailant was like, she replied, "I cannot remember, my mind is gone." The hospital authorities at once communicated with Detective-sergeant William New, who has charge of the case, and certain information which casually passed from the woman's lips may perhaps lead to a clue respecting the would-be murderer. Mr. Haynes, the husband, who is a hard-working house painter, living at 29, Newnham Street, Great Alie Street, Whitechapel, has expressed his deep sense of unremitting skill and kindness his wife has received from the surgical and nursing staff at the hospital, and from a statement which he has made it appears that his wife, himself, and some friends spent Bank Holiday together by seeing some of the sights of the Metropolis, and in the evening Mrs. Haynes returned with them to her home. She went out later on, and screams were heard in the vicinity of Leman Street Railway Station. A constable then discovered Mrs. Haynes lying insensible on the ground in a pool of blood. Besides her brain being affected by the injury, Mrs. Haynes is suffering from a scalp wound of rather an extensive character. A man who was said to have been near the unfortunate woman at the time of the occurrence, and who resided in the district, has since left the neighbourhood. The police hope that he may come forward, as his testimony might aid the ends of justice, by relating what he saw of the outrage.

Seems a interesting attack if nothing else. It happened the same day as Emma Smith's murder and it appears to be an unprovoked attack. She was also under the care of George Haslip, the house surgeon who took care of Emma Smith on that same day. I find it unlikely to be a ripper attack but there are a few interesting connectionsto Smith's murder there.

Kind regards,

Adam
    Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

Maybe the same gang who attacked Emma Smith did Malvina. Again, seems unlikely but interesting all the same.

Best regards

Adam
    Best regards,
    Adam

Comment

Hi Adam
      Very interesting account and thanks for posting
      The details below might be of interest

Malvina Haynes

White Horse Inn, 67 Cardigan Street, Oxford
      Head: Henry Haynes aged 28 born Oxford - Painter
      Wife: Malvina Haynes aged 26 born Ramsden, Oxford - Tailoress
      Children:
      Charles H aged 2 born Oxford

Marriage:
      1873 Quarter 3
      Henry Haynes married Malvina Shaylor

1871:
      53 Post Office Street, South Hinksey, Berks
      Head: Rueben Shaylor aged 45 born Thackley, Oxon - Plasterer
      Wife: Sarah Shaylor aged 42 born Bampton, Oxon - Dressmaker
      Children:
      Malvina aged 16 born Ramsden - Tailoress
      Mark aged 14 born Ramsden - Messenger for solicitor
      Brian aged 9 born Ramsden
      Milicent aged 7 born Ramsden

1891 listing:
      252 Katherine Buildings, Cartwright Street, Aldgate
      Head: Henry Haynes aged 38 born Oxford - Painter
      Wife: Malvina Haynes aged 37 born Ramsden
      Child:
      Charles aged 11 born Oxford

Comment

I will have to have a look for this one, I do recall printing off reports from this period, as I was looking for Emma Smith reports, so there could be a report in my bottomless box! If I do find I will post it.
        Regards Mike

Comment

Can't really add to the report as you posted it except to say that it appeared the same, word for word, in Lloyd's Weekly of April 15th 1888.
          Chris

Comment

It's unfortunate there is no reports of the exact attack details and injuries. I suppose scalp injuries may mean anything but I wonder if it could mean a stabbing? I would have thought that it would have stated stabbing if that was the case. More than likely she may have been battered.

Best regards

Adam
            Best regards,
            Adam

Comment

Hi Adam

" A man who was said to have been near the unfortunate woman at the time of the occurrence, and who resided in the district, has since left the neighbourhood. The police hope that he may come forward, as his testimony might aid the ends of justice, by relating what he saw of the outrage.

Reading between the lines it seems af if the ploice knew who the assailant was. Or am I reading into it all wrong?

all the best

Observer

Comment

You are prob right there Observer or maybe this man was a witness who may have seen the attacker. The more I look into this incident, the more interesting it comes. Compare this to the previous attacks on Millwood and Wilson and a pattern emerges. Maybe this was an early Ripper assault....
                Best regards,
                Adam

Comment

Working...
                X