Murders of 1886/87/88/89/90/91/92???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murders of 1886/87/88/89/90/91/92???

Hi there. I am new to the boards and have been studying the Ripper case since around December last year, so deffo not a full "expert" yet. Lol.

Anyway I obviously know about the main victims featured on this site (the C5 and the others listed) but I have also found others during my research (IE: Catherine Mellowes, Mrs. Woolfe, the torso murders) and I was wondering if anyone has details of any other murders that happened around the 1886 - 1892 period in the East End / Whitechapel, that would be worth looking into?

Alternitively, is there anywhere online where murders that took place at these times be looked at?

I am really interested in studying more murders that took place in the East End, especially the Whitechapel area, and see if there may be some connected the the main Whitechapel murders.

Any help would be greatful.

Thanks

Adam
    Best regards,
    Adam

"They assumed Kelly was the last... they assumed wrong" - Me

I am mainly wanting this info for a book I am currently writing.

Regards,

Adam
    Best regards,
    Adam

Comment

Hi Adam

You've probably done this already but if not sign up to OLD BAILEY ONLINE and search for 'Murder' between Jan 1886 and Dec 1892.
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Good tip from Stephen, there, but bear in mind that only those murders for whom a defendant had been brought to trial will be found in the Old Bailey records. You won't find any data on undetected/unsolved murders, rapes, assaults or manslaughter there, unfortunately.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Yeah I am mostly after the unsolved type but have been looking on the old bailey site and it is very interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Kind regards,

Adam
          Best regards,
          Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            but bear in mind that only those murders for whom a defendant had been brought to trial will be found in the Old Bailey records. You won't find any data on undetected/unsolved murders, rapes, assaults or manslaughter there, unfortunately.
            Hi Sam

Yes, I realised that but forgot to mention it. Have you checked out the rape cases? The defendant seems nearly always to be found Not Guilty.
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

I know, Stephen - shocking, isn't it?
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I came across a very interesting case on the Old Bailey about a man who concocted an excuse to get into a young woman's house and then stabbed her in the throat. It was a rather proto-Jack sort of attack, or so it seemed. I haven't yet found out if he actually served his sentence. It was quite interesting. I'll post the link if anybody wants to look at the case.
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Yes, Celesta, please post that link - it sounds interesting.

Thanks,
                  Frank
                  "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                  Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

"Felonius wounding with intent to murder"

Hi Frank,

Here's the link. Go down the page to item # 1026. This is Joseph Carlin (age 22). Ref. # t18871024-1026. Have fun with it, Frank. Best, Cel

"What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Thanks, Celesta!
                      "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                      Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                        I came across a very interesting case on the Old Bailey about a man who concocted an excuse to get into a young woman's house and then stabbed her in the throat. It was a rather proto-Jack sort of attack, or so it seemed. I haven't yet found out if he actually served his sentence.
                        Joseph Carlin was still an inmate at Gillingham Prison, Kent, in 1891, Cel. Interesting find, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	carlin-gillingham1891.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	654737
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Thanks, Sam. I came across this a couple of weeks ago, but didn't know how to pursue whether he served his term and had set it aside. Thank you.

What is this document? From the Census, I take it?

To me this was a good example of the kind of other nutcases were out there at the time, or in the same general time as JTR.

Best,

Cel

Comment

How weird is that! I transcribed this news report today,

9th October 1888 Eastern Morning News

EXTRAORDINARY AFFAIR AT CARDIFF
                            GIRL STABBED BY A TRAMP
                            A HOUSE PILLAGED
                            Last evening a tramp knocked at the door of a house on Adam Street, Cardiff, and asked the girl who answered it, and who was alone, for bread. She refused. He struck her in the face, followed her into the house, and having closed the door, dragged her to the stairs. Tying her to the bannisters, he stabbed her in three places with a knife. He then searched the house from top to bottom, securing all the portable property of value. When he had descended the stairs he again stabbed the girl, and quickly walked away. Up to the present time, he remains at large.
                            Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                              How weird is that! I transcribed this news report today,

9th October 1888 Eastern Morning News

EXTRAORDINARY AFFAIR AT CARDIFF
                              GIRL STABBED BY A TRAMP
                              A HOUSE PILLAGED
                              Last evening a tramp knocked at the door of a house on Adam Street, Cardiff, and asked the girl who answered it, and who was alone, for bread. She refused. He struck her in the face, followed her into the house, and having closed the door, dragged her to the stairs. Tying her to the bannisters, he stabbed her in three places with a knife. He then searched the house from top to bottom, securing all the portable property of value. When he had descended the stairs he again stabbed the girl, and quickly walked away. Up to the present time, he remains at large.

How weird. They sound so similar. Carlin was also hanging out in the park when Esther first encountered her. The house was on Acacia street. The case I posted was from 1887 though.

Comment

Working...
                              X