Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So did any of the victims know each other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So did any of the victims know each other?

Has there been any decent evidence that proves either way? Or does such a suspicion stem only from Stephen Knight's delusions? And how deeply are we supposed to look into the fact that Catherine Eddows used two aliases similar to Mary Kelly's name on separate occasions, as well as giving a faux address on Dorset Street, of all places. Come to think of it, the 1988 Michael Caine mini-series gives a rather plausible theory that Mary Kelly and Catherine Eddows were nothing more than casual acquaintances and Eddows had a nasty habit of using Kelly's name when in trouble, much to her annoyance. Oh, well, who knows...
    What's all this then?

Originally posted by emlodik View Post
    Has there been any decent evidence that proves either way? Or does such a suspicion stem only from Stephen Knight's delusions? And how deeply are we supposed to look into the fact that Catherine Eddows used two aliases similar to Mary Kelly's name on separate occasions, as well as giving a faux address on Dorset Street, of all places. Come to think of it, the 1988 Michael Caine mini-series gives a rather plausible theory that Mary Kelly and Catherine Eddows were nothing more than casual acquaintances and Eddows had a nasty habit of using Kelly's name when in trouble, much to her annoyance. Oh, well, who knows...
    If there's any credible evidence I don't know of it.

Eddowes' use of 'Kelly' can be put down to her partner. Any attempt to link the victims by geography is tenuous, at best; remember that Dorset Street, Thrawl Street, etc. were full of lodging houses. Thousands could be found there in an evening.

If a close relationship existed, you'd think it would've been related through partners/asociates in the press, let alone police reports. Something more casual (by sight?) is certainly possible.

The victims generally become a unit when fiction demands it.

Comment

Hi Emlo,

In my view, the suggestion that they'd ALL have been part of the same circle of friends is preposterous. That more than two of them (at most) might just have shared a passing acquaintance I'd find hard to justify, outside the realms of fantasy and conspiracy theory.

There's an existing thread on this very topic here.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

As Justin pointed out, Kate's common-law husband was John Kelly so when she gave her name as "Kate Kelly" she may not have considered it a fake name at all in her own mind. "Kelly" was a very common name. And as I recall she gave her address as Fashion Street, not Dorset Street (probably just picking it out of thin air not wanting to tell the police she was actually homeless at the time).

Comment

Working...
        X