Reaction at the Club and pursuit of a man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaction at the Club and pursuit of a man

I thought the extract below might be of interest.
    The meeting held at the club the day after the murder and the decision to charge strangers I don't remember seeing before
    Also an idle thought - I wondered if the pursuit of a man might be related to the Schwartz incident...
    Chris

2 October 1888
    The Scotsman

The club itself, which is next door to the large gate, was yesterday closed; but all the forenoon members and others who have special business there were admitted after knocking at the door. The committee of the institution held a meeting yesterday morning, at which the crime was talked over, and it was decided not to admit any stranger without the payment of a fee. This fee, the secretary explained, was to assist the propaganda. The committee, it seems, did not fix the amount to be charged, but, in reply to a question, the secretary said he thought 5s. would not be too much. In the course of conversation the secretary mentioned the fact that the murderer had, no doubt, been disturbed in his work, as about a quarter to one o'clock on Sunday morning he was seen - or, at least, a man whom some persons regard as the murderer - being chased by another man along Fairclough Street which runs across Berner Street, close to the club, and which is interesected on the right by Providence Street, Brunswick Street, and Christian Street, and on the left by Batty Street and Grove Street, the two latter running up into Commercial Road. The pursued escaped, however, and the secretary of the club cannot remember the name of the man who gave chase, but he is not a member of their body.

Thanks for this. It seems to be copied fairly closely from the report in the previous day's Echo:

There were a couple of phrases that the person who transcribed the Echo report couldn't read, though, and the piece you've just posted no doubt supplies the gaps.

Comment

Working...
    X