A 'Paper Bar' for Tom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 'Paper Bar' for Tom

'Williams, in her defence on oath, said that on August 18th in the afternoon she met Gibson, Morris and another man not in custody, who asked her to have a drink; that on leaving the **** and Hoop, where they met Walker, she was invited to have another drink, but did not care to; that the man not in custody gave her a florin to get a drink and she bought a glass of stout at the Enterprise; that on leaving the Enterprise the men followed her, and the man not in custody invited her to have another drink, which she accepted; that before going into the Blue Anchor with the other men she bought 2d. worth of grapes; that on going into the Blue Anchor she saw a struggle going on; that on seeing the policeman hit Gibson on the head she said, "If you hit that man again I shall follow to the station for a witness"; that on no occasion had she stopped by a van and handed something to one of the men; and that she had no pocket at the bottom of her skirt from which she could have taken anything.

By Morris: When you asked me I said I had not known the man who gave me 2s. before.

By Gibson: When the constable hit you on the head I did not see Walker there—you and the constable got out into the street and he fetched you back again—I saw him strike you on the head a second time with his truncheon—they held you down and took your boots off.

By Walker: I did not see you anywhere near when Gibson and the policeman were wrestling—I saw you run out of the doorway.

Evidence in Reply.

ARTHUR SKELLINGTON (By the COURT). Williams had a paper bar when I first saw her in Dunk Street—I never saw her go into a fruit shop at any time—I never saw her eating grapes.'
Working...
X