Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Schwartz interpretation is acurate ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might add, that when I am having a document translated I ask for the translation and a literal word for word translation, if the client can afford it by two different translators, because then I can check for the type of issues you are talking of.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      I might add, that when I am having a document translated I ask for the translation and a literal word for word translation, if the client can afford it by two different translators, because then I can check for the type of issues you are talking of.
      I had a weird translation error when a man addressed me as what was translated as "sweetheart" when in fact the endearment he used in his native language was one that you only used in extremely intimate or sexual situations. Now I'm from the south, and I made my peace with "sweetheart" long ago. But what he said made it a flat out proposition, which by not denying meant I accepted the premise so to speak. And had I KNOWN that I would have addressed it immediately, rather than having a desperately awkward moment a month later when I dropped of a couple of his props in his dressing room. Awkward to the tune of never being able to look at each other for the last six weeks of the run.

And then there was the time my sister announced loudly in Paris that after a meal in one of the truly great restaurants in France that she was pregnant. And I WARNED her about trying to convey the idea that she was full, or that she felt hot... but nooo... she knew best. And then the chef sent us a lovely dessert as a congratulations, and she was mortified.
      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

G'day Errata

And had I KNOWN that I would have addressed it immediately,
        But just how would you have addressed it?
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

hot knife

Hello John.

". . .tells of a man holding a knife (certainly more logical than a "pipe"). . ."

Is it logical to "light" a knife?

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Amazing
            Best Wishes,
            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello John.

". . .tells of a man holding a knife (certainly more logical than a "pipe"). . ."

Is it logical to "light" a knife?

Cheers.
              LC
              Hi Lynn:

It would be if you think Schwartz said "pipe," which appears only in a translation which to my mind is suspect anyway. Ask yourself, why would Schwartz make a point of saying the second man "was lighting a pipe?" On the other hand, the Press statement has Schwartz say he "saw a knife in the second man's hand," a pertinent piece of information which could possibly implicate this man in Stride's murder; Schwartz says nothing about a pipe.

Dr. John
              "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
              Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

You are very sure of yourself, aren't you, very sure about people and events of which we have very little.
                Mr H,

Relax bud, take a deep breath, count to 10 and take a step back! Sure of myself? Where did that crap come from?

I recommend you read Hunter's post #12. He happens to be one of the most respected in the field (and i'm sure in many people's opinion, one of the top experts on the Stride murder).

While there could very well be things lost in translation, that rule must apply to both the police and the reporter. To suggest the reporter got it more right than the police I believe would be a step in the wrong direction. No that isn't my ego speaking, just some friendly advice.

Cheers
                DRoy

Comment

It would be if you think Schwartz said "pipe," which appears only in a translation which to my mind is suspect anyway. Ask yourself, why would Schwartz make a point of saying the second man "was lighting a pipe?" On the other hand, the Press statement has Schwartz say he "saw a knife in the second man's hand," a pertinent piece of information which could possibly implicate this man in Stride's murder; Schwartz says nothing about a pipe.
                  John,

Through any translation the word 'pipe' or 'lighting' could have been confused... but how does a translator get both those wrong and yet manage for those two things to be related to each other? The odds are not very good.

If the police statement said he was holding a pipe and Schwartz felt threatened it would seem odd wouldn't it? Lighting a pipe makes sense, lighting a knife doesn't.

Cheers
                  DRoy

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                    Schwartz's statement was taken at Leman St. Station, probably first by a duty inspector and then by Inspector Abberline once the importance of what this man had to relay was realized.

Swanson made a brief summary to the Home office on Oct. 19 based on reports filed by the CID investigation. The key word is summary.
                    So in essence , we'll never know who nailed it ! But another question springs to mind . After reading Schwartz's Oct 1st press statement , Would the Police not want to double check with him regarding "Knife" or "Pipe" , thinking they may have misinterpreted what he said , especially as it would have been pivotal to their suspect focus ?

And if we assume they did , ( would they ? ) the fact that Swanson still concluded it was a pipe in his Oct 19 summary , must add weight to the pipe theory .. Wish I never opened this particular Pandora's box

cheers , moonbegger .

Comment

Originally posted by DRoy View Post
                      John,

Through any translation the word 'pipe' or 'lighting' could have been confused... but how does a translator get both those wrong and yet manage for those two things to be related to each other? The odds are not very good.

If the police statement said he was holding a pipe and Schwartz felt threatened it would seem odd wouldn't it? Lighting a pipe makes sense, lighting a knife doesn't.

Cheers
                      DRoy
                      I have suggested before that Schwartz may have realized that he came across like a coward in his police interview.

Therefore, he may have swopped the pipe for a knife in the paper interview, giving himself a far better excuse to flee and to leave Stride behind to her fate.

It´s just a guess, of course, but one that sounds feasible to me.

All the best,

Fisherman

Comment

Fish,

That is a reasonable suggestion. Much more plausible than the newspaper report being the more accurate version.

Cheers
                        DRoy

Comment

On another thread someone (Debra perhaps) pointed out that, in the Hungarian language, the words meaning "pipe" and "dagger" (not "knife") sound very similar.

The sounds can be compared on the two links - not identical, but perhaps sufficiently similar to have been misheard by a translator.
                          Last edited by Bridewell; 03-12-2014, 02:44 PM.
                          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Thanks Colin,

That still leaves a problem with 'lighting' it though. Not sure what word sounds similar to that and would make sense in the context of a dagger but like I said I would assume it would be quite rare.

Cheers
                            DRoy

Comment

Which still begs the question .. would the Police have ignored Shwartz press claim that the man in the doorway had a knife ?

moonbegger

Comment

Originally posted by DRoy View Post
                                Thanks Colin,

That still leaves a problem with 'lighting' it though. Not sure what word sounds similar to that and would make sense in the context of a dagger but like I said I would assume it would be quite rare.

Cheers
                                DRoy
                                I have no knowledge of Hungarian but have played around a bit with Google Translate.

The words denoting "lighting" and "flourishing a knife":-

"(He had a pipe and was) lighting (it)"

could have been misheard as

"(He had a pipe and was) flourishing a knife" (or vice versa).

For that to work the journalist would need to have omitted the pipe reference as unimportant, concentrating solely on the more germane knife reference. Pure speculation - and not claimed by me to be anything more. One of my wackier suggestions (among many perhaps).
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X