Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would It Be The Job of the Police Or the Grand Jury to Discredit Schwartz's Testimony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwartz seems to have gone to Leman Street police Station on 30th September 1888 and given his statement. I think however we only have the Star as a source for that date, although Abberline stated in his report of 1st November 1888 ‘I questioned Schwartz very closely at the time he made the statement’.

The coroner may have read Schwartz’s statement and decided not to call him.
    As the findings of the inquest were decided by the jury not the coroner, then Schwartz’s statement cannot have been taken into account.
    If Schwartz’s lack of English meant his written statement was preferred, then his written statement would have had to be read to the jury in open court. Which it clearly wasn’t.

The inquest sat on 1st October, 2nd October (hearing the testimony of Mary Malcolm who claimed deceased was her sister Elizabeth Watts), 3rd October (the deceased’s identity as Elizabeth Stride was mooted) and 5th October (the deceased’s identity as Elizabeth Stride was confirmed).

Swanson wrote his report on the Stride murder dated 19th October 1888. In it Schwartz’s version of events is given a prominent position.

The inquest reconvened on 23rd October 1888 and Elizabeth Stokes (ex-Watts) appeared and denied she was dead and said her sister (Mary Malcolm) had told a pack of lies.
    In his summing up the Coroner caustically stated:
    "The first difficulty which presented itself was the identification of the deceased. That was not an unimportant matter. Their trouble was principally occasioned by Mrs. Malcolm, who, after some hesitation, and after having had two further opportunities of viewing again the body, positively swore that the deceased was her sister - Mrs. Elizabeth Watts, of Bath. It had since been clearly proved that she was mistaken, notwithstanding the visions which were simultaneously vouchsafed at the hour of the death to her and her husband. If her evidence was correct, there were points of resemblance between the deceased and Elizabeth Watts which almost reminded one of the Comedy of Errors."

Anderson sent a letter to the Home Office dated 23rd October 1888 – the same day the Stride inquest closed. In it he stated:
    “That a crime of this kind should have been committed without any clue being supplied by the criminal, is unusual, but that five successive murders should have been committed without our having the slightest clue of any kind is extraordinary, if not unique, in the annals of crime….
    “Moreover, the activities of the Police has been to a considerable extent wasted through the exigencies of sensational journalism, and the actions of unprincipled persons, who, from various motives, have endeavoured to mislead us.”

This is an interesting statement.
    It strongly suggests that Schwartz wasn’t regarded as a reliable witness (possibly due to information available after Swanson's 19th October report).
    It certainly discounts theories that the Met were onto Kosminsky as the Schwartz BS man at this stage.
    It also suggests that Anderson included the Smith and Tabram murders in his list to make the 5. Or he may have included the City case Eddowes instead of Smith perhaps.
    The Police time wasters Anderson refers to could be Mary Malcolm – whose intervention seems to have wasted a lot of time. It could refer to Le Grand’s actions. It could refer to the Ripper Letters. It could refer to the many newspaper reports of leads and so forth that so many still put their faith in on these message boards.
    It probably refers to all of this.

Anderson’s letter – together with Swanson’s report of 19th October, were received by the Home Office on 25th October 1888.

These reports (clearly Swanson’s in particular) led to the Home Office picking up on Schwartz as a potential lead and resulted in a flurry of correspondence.
    Abberline was tasked to write a response (dated 1st November 1888 – referred to above).
    Anderson’s draft response to the Home Office dated 5th November 1888, which was superseded by Warren’s letter dated 6th November 1888, were clearly both based on Abberline’s 1st November report.
    I would suggest that the most likely explanation for Anderson and Warren stating respectively ‘upon the evidence of Schwartz at the inquest’ and ‘upon the evidence given by Schwartz at the inquest’ is that it is simply a mistake.
    I think they misinterpreted or confused themselves over Abberline’s remark that ‘I questioned Schwartz very closely at the time he made the statement’.

Warren was under a lot of pressure at that stage – the same day (6th November 1888) he wrote a letter to the Home Secretary attempting to justify his decision to have the Goulston Street graffiti erased before it could be photographed.

This still doesn’t tell us why Schwartz wasn’t called as a witness. Maybe it was a mistake and that is why Warren said he was called – to cover it up? Who knows.
    The police could have told the Home Office that they did not regard Schwartz as reliable to shut them up – but they didn’t.
    Having said that the aspect that the Home Office amateur sleuths seem to have fixated on was the use of the term Lipski and the Met-Home Office discussion seems to have gone off in that tangential direction.
    Last edited by Lechmere; 08-07-2013, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Five

On 23 October,1888,Anderson is writing of Five successive murders.Kelly hadn't been killed by that date,so she makes six?

Comment

Oh, yes--the ripper, as well.

Hello Stewart.

"all this against the backdrop of the newly started Special Commission enquiring into the growing scandal of the 'Parnellism and Crime' articles, a subject the press coverage of which dwarfed the reporting on the East End murders."

Precisely. Easy to lose sight of that fact.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

good copper

Hello Chris. Thanks.

But misleading whom?

It seems to me that, in the report, Swanson is practically having a dialogue with himself. And the part about doubt could well be within the context of:

"Lately, some (Leman st) have come to doubt this story. Well, they did not do so when the report was initially written."

It is curious that Sugden (see Stewart's remarks above) seems aware of all the possible problems with Schwartz's testimony, hence couching the discussion in cautious words.

Personally, I see Swanson as a good copper trying to be objective and weighing all the obvious possibilities.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            But misleading whom?

It seems to me that, in the report, Swanson is practically having a dialogue with himself. And the part about doubt could well be within the context of:

"Lately, some (Leman st) have come to doubt this story. Well, they did not do so when the report was initially written."
            What I meant was that if Swanson was aware of doubts, then what he wrote would have misled whoever read the report. We have to interpret this as a report intended to convey information to others, not as notes made by Swanson for his own use, in which things he was aware of could be left unsaid.

Comment

Hello Chris. Thanks.

Indeed. But still, in such a report, he might merely be acknowledging:

1. His awareness that doubts had been expressed.

2. That such doubts were NOT expressed at the time of the original statement.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

Indeed. But still, in such a report, he might merely be acknowledging:

1. His awareness that doubts had been expressed.

2. That such doubts were NOT expressed at the time of the original statement.
                Well, all I can say is that if I were the recipient of the report and I subsequently found out that when he wrote it Swanson had known that doubts had been expressed about Schwartz's veracity, my first reaction would be to ask him why the **** he hadn't said so.

Comment

rumours

Hello Chris. Thanks.

Well, initially, they would have constituted little more than rumours. And, if you look at "The Star" report, there was nothing tangible.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Well, initially, they would have constituted little more than rumours. And, if you look at "The Star" report, there was nothing tangible.
                    But I wasn't talking about intangible rumours; I was talking about the possibility that Schwartz didn't give evidence at the inquest because his story had been discredited:
                    The question is why Schwartz wasn't called during that initial period of 1-5 October. When he wrote his report on 19 October, one would hope Swanson was aware that Schwartz hadn't been called, and if so he would presumably have known why. Yet he gives no indication in that report that any doubt had been cast on Schwartz's reliability.

That's what I can't believe - that Swanson could have been aware that Schwartz's story had been definitely discredited, while making that statement in his report that no doubt had been cast on it initially, and giving no hint that any doubt had been cast on it subsequently.

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                      "It amuses me when I read 'stick with the known facts' followed by a newspaper report."

Yes, perhaps a poor choice of heading on my part. Mea culpa.

My main point being, rather than a century-plus later speculation, the Telegraph claimed at the time to be in possession of police documents specifically referring to the holding back of witness information.
                      The contention between the press and police is readily apparent throughout the series of murders. The press consistently complain that the police are withholding information, and rightly so from their perspective.
                      To inform the press about details of the investigation is to also inform the murderer which they obviously are not willing to risk.

The Telegraph article is not suggesting that the police withheld info from the Courts, or the Coroner, only the press.

When viewed with a modern critical eye it is apparent the police at the time did not appreciate how they could utilize the press to assist them in their enquiries, as is the normal procedure today.
                      That said, even today certain details are still withheld when necessary.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

suggestion

Hello Chris. Thanks.

I think I see what you mean.

Personally, it does not seem that the story was discredited. If one stays with "The Star's" language, it looks only like a good many questions had been raised--enough to cause his story to be placed "in brackets."

I might suggest, then, that this could explain part of the reason for his not being called to inquest. It might further explain why the story never made it into "The Arbeter Fraint" piece--given the status of the tale as "questionable," they may have wished to provide some distance between themselves and the story.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          Yes, but I can't believe Swanson would write "the police report of his statement casts no doubt upon it" if he was aware that doubts had later been cast upon it. That would be positively misleading.
                          Chris & Lynn.

Might I suggest you read the whole context beginning at the previous paragraph with:

The description of the man seen by the P.C......

If you begin here, I think you may observe a slightly different interpretation of Swanson's subsequent phrase "...no doubt about it.."

My understanding (on re-reading this) is that Swanson is referring to the dilemma of whether Schwartz & P.C. Smith are referring to the same suspect.
                          Swanson concludes that the police report casts no doubt about the fact that the two descriptions are not the same man.

Swanson is not saying the whole statement by Schwartz is beyond doubt, but it is beyond doubt that two different men are being described. However, the caveat is, "if Schwartz is to be believed", which might reflect some recent reservations?

Tell me what you think...
                          Last edited by Wickerman; 08-07-2013, 02:10 PM.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                            My understanding (on re-reading this) is that Swanson is referring to the dilemma of whether Schwartz & P.C. Smith are referring to the same suspect.
                            Swanson concludes that the police report casts no doubt about the fact that the two descriptions are not the same man.
                            Sorry, but I don't see that at all. Maybe you could quote the full passage from the report and explain in more detail how your interpretation works.

Comment

compromise

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Yes, I agree that Swanson's conclusion about different men is being referred to specifically. However, he is asking about Schwartz's story. And it is the story--and one presumes ALL its particulars--which needs to be true, in order to establish, among other things, the difference of alleged suspects.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Personally, it does not seem that the story was discredited. If one stays with "The Star's" language, it looks only like a good many questions had been raised--enough to cause his story to be placed "in brackets."

I might suggest, then, that this could explain part of the reason for his not being called to inquest.
                                I think we're starting to go round in circles here.

Whatever precise language you use to describe the situation, I can't believe that Swanson would have written what he did if there were doubts about Schwartz's credibility that were sufficiently strong to exclude him from the inquest.

Comment

Working...
                                X