Did BS-man murder Liz Stride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
    I don't understand the sexism statements above.

There is nothing about Warren removing a pro-jewish statemen That's historical revision.

Let's see what superintendent Arnold has to say...
    I beg to report that on the morning of the 30th Sept. last, my attention was called to some writing on the wall of the entrance to some dwellings at No. 108 Goulston Street, Whitechapel which consisted of the following words: "The Juews are not [the word 'not' being deleted] the men that will not be blamed for nothing", and knowing in consequence of suspicion having fallen upon a Jew named 'John Pizer' alias 'Leather Apron' having committed a murder in Hanbury Street a short time previously, a strong feeling existed against the Jews generally, and as the Building upon which the writing was found was situated in the midst of a locality inhabited principally by that Sect, I was apprehensive that if the writing were left it would be the means of causing a riot and therefore considered it desirable that it should be removed having in view the fact that it was in such a position that it would have been rubbed by persons passing in & out of the Building."
    Not to deflect the thread, but opinions like the above demonstrate why Warren had no cause for concern over the erasure.
    In other words, this event had nothing to do with his resignation.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
      that's exactly what I said. A pro-Jewish statement could cause anti-semitic backlash. Warren was concerned. What part didn't you understand?

Mike
      I hope there's no feminists about with Mike spewing such blatantly sexist comments as this.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
        In other words, this event had nothing to do with his resignation.
        How could it not though? I mean in todays world that person could be a lot of trouble for destroying evidence and a lawyer would have field day with it but back in 1888 a person who did that would have to be in a position of power to get away with it, which he was.

I don't think its the cause of his resignation. I think it is a contributing factor among many, but I think everyone can say that forensically, this was a disasterous move, which still echos to this day.
        Last edited by Batman; 12-15-2014, 02:53 PM.
        Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

• I've said for many years now that the GSG erasure was one of the final straws that led to Warren's forced resignation. So, I must respectfully disagree with Good Michael, not only in regards to his rampant sexism, but also any justification for completely obliterating what might have been crucial evidence in a murder investigation before it could be recorded. A riot is a 'what if', a 'maybe', but the graffiti was real and tangible. Erasing it on the grounds that some chalk on a wall might have caused a riot is ridiculous.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Batman View Post
            How could it not though? I mean in todays world, sure, that person could be a lot of trouble for destroying evidence, legally and a lawyer would have field day with it and back in 1888 a person who did that would have to be in a position of power to get away with it, which he was.
            It was never established to actually be 'evidence'.

I don't think its the cause of his resignation. I think it is a contributing factor among many, but I think everyone can say that forensically, this was a disasterous move, which still echos to this day.
            Have you read of the numerous conflicts between Warren & Matthews throughout his tenure?
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
              ... A riot is a 'what if', a 'maybe', but the graffiti was real and tangible.
              Whether the graffiti was 'evidence' or not, is a "what-if".
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

It was never established to actually be 'evidence'.

Have you read of the numerous conflicts between Warren & Matthews throughout his tenure?
                And why maybe was it not established to have been evidence? Maybe because it was completely obliterated by the very people who should have protected and recorded it? And yes, I know that Warren was resigning when Nichols was murdered, but changed his mind. He certainly did not resign because of the graffiti, but it's not coincidence that the matter was dug up again in November and reports circulating about the graffiti right before he resigned.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Whether the graffiti was 'evidence' or not, is a "what-if".
                  Yes, and again that's because it was obliterated by the police.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

...Erasing it on the grounds that some chalk on a wall might have caused a riot is ridiculous.
                    Are you sure you are not just a little out of touch with the times?
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Are you sure you are not just a little out of touch with the times?
                      Not at all. Neither was Henry Smith. Jewish suspects had already been announced, i.e. Leather Apron. Where was the massive riot after the Chapman murder? There wasn't one. I'm not saying they shouldn't have erased the graffiti. I'm just saying wait a few minutes and take a picture. Then erase it. There would have been no riot. They ended up talking about it at the inquest anyway. No riot occurred.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Yes, and again that's because it was obliterated by the police.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                        Not at all, the words were taken down, and chalk scribble on a wall cannot be subject to handwriting analysis.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Not at all. Neither was Henry Smith. Jewish suspects had already been announced, i.e. Leather Apron. Where was the massive riot after the Chapman murder? There wasn't one. I'm not saying they shouldn't have erased the graffiti. I'm just saying wait a few minutes and take a picture. Then erase it. There would have been no riot. They ended up talking about it at the inquest anyway. No riot occurred.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          There is less a concern when discussing it at the Inquest, the writing is not there anymore. It is the presence of the writing that could incite unrest, not talking about it after the fact.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

There is less a concern when discussing it at the Inquest, the writing is not there anymore. It is the presence of the writing that could incite unrest, not talking about it after the fact.
                            Then the police need to man up and take care of it IF it happens. You don't wipe out evidence in the event of a maybe. That's all I'm saying. It was a bad call, plain and simple.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• It was considered evidence submitted at the inquest because thats what you bring to one. Nearly everyone connected with this incident believed it to be directly related at the time. Not a maybe or if.
                              Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

• Hi Batman, I would say the graffiti was and must always be an 'if' since it didn't appear to directly relate to the murders. Again, had it been photographed and the actually words studied, the exact message could be known and understood and might have in fact been determined as relevant.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X