Is this a picture of Elizabeth Stride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a picture of Elizabeth Stride

I actually posted this photo of Elizabeth Stride on her find a grave memorial site figuring it would be nice for her descendants to see an actual photo of her. It's been up for a good while but today I received a request from someone saying that they don't think it's a photo of Elizabeth Stride he said quote: but I believe the photo is not of Elizabeth Stride but one of the odder Ripper suspects - Lizzie Williams (Born Mary Elizabeth Ann Hughes). Can anyone verify this photo as Elizabeth Stride, because if it's not, I will take down the picture from her memorial personally.

I’m unsure if it’s Lizzie Williams, Clark but it’s certainly not Elizabeth Stride (but I recall reading that somewhere too). I recently took an online tour to Stride’s grave and the guide posted this image too. I told her that it wasn’t Stride and she accepted this (I think) but I seem to recall her saying that it was also being claimed as real by Jeff Mudgett - the guy who thinks that HH Holmes was JTR. The photo has been floating around for a while now but others might be able to give you more information than I can.

A few years ago a friend and I visited the JTR museum on Cable Street and I have a feeling that this photograph was displayed there. I can’t recall if it was listed as Stride though. There was also a photograph of a live Mary Kelly which we know can’t have been genuine of course. We argued with the owner that at least a couple of his photos weren’t genuinely of actual ripper victims but he dug his heels in claiming that they had been discovered by ‘researchers.’
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

The picture is of Lizzie Williams.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

A few years ago a friend and I visited the JTR museum on Cable Street and I have a feeling that this photograph was displayed there. I can’t recall if it was listed as Stride though. There was also a photograph of a live Mary Kelly which we know can’t have been genuine of course. We argued with the owner that at least a couple of his photos weren’t genuinely of actual ripper victims but he dug his heels in claiming that they had been discovered by ‘researchers.’
        Didn't the JTR Museum display one supposed photo of a "victim" while alive that turned out to be a portrait of the wife of one of the police officials involved in the Ripper investigation?
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

Didn't the JTR Museum display one supposed photo of a "victim" while alive that turned out to be a portrait of the wife of one of the police officials involved in the Ripper investigation?
          I didn’t know that Pat. I recall seeing 2 phots that definitely weren’t ripper victims but I’m not sure that there weren’t 3! I’m pretty sure that one of them was the one on here that Dave has identified as Lizzie Williams. I could be wrong but something is telling me that this picture was displayed in the museum as Mary Kelly. I can’t be sure though. It was quite a few years ago and I’ve only visited that museum once.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I didn’t know that Pat. I recall seeing 2 phots that definitely weren’t ripper victims but I’m not sure that there weren’t 3! I’m pretty sure that one of them was the one on here that Dave has identified as Lizzie Williams. I could be wrong but something is telling me that this picture was displayed in the museum as Mary Kelly. I can’t be sure though. It was quite a few years ago and I’ve only visited that museum once.
            You may have been thinking of this one, Herlock. I've seen it doing the rounds:

Click image for larger version

Name:	725019a49120119dbe29de6b1c00d129.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	792209

Comment

is it just me or did the real Elizabeth Stride have a very thin face with high cheekbones?
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post

You may have been thinking of this one, Herlock. I've seen it doing the rounds:

Click image for larger version

Name:	725019a49120119dbe29de6b1c00d129.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	792209
                Yeah, that’s the one Harry
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I personally wouldn't have thought the woman in that picture could have been the same as person as the corpse of Elizabeth Stride. Even if this picture was taken a few years earlier, the face structure seems very different.

And I would have thought this picture was taken around 1895-1905 era, going on the clothing.

So more likely to be Lizzie Williams than Elizabeth Stride, imho.

Comment

Your words are good enough for me. I am taking down this photo from Stride's Find a grave memorial. Thank you so much you all

Comment

Working...
                    X