Regards to Lipski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regards to Lipski

Walter Selwen was involved in the Great Bond Robbery which was one of Abberline's last cases. Any thoughts on who Lipski is in this instance? Was someone in the police force referred to as Lipski?

London Standard
    Wednesday, January 27, 1892, London, Middlesex

By the way, here is a sketch of Walter Selwen (Selwyn).

Last edited by jerryd; 04-28-2021, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Other police involved in the Great Bond Robbery alongside Abberline are:

Detective Sergeant Lowe
      Police Constable Hammond
      Detective Inspector Stroud
      Detective Inspector Sager

There doesn't seem to be much on Lowe and Hammond but Sager definitely has significant connections to the Jack the Ripper case and when in disguise was even mistaken for JtR himself by Whitechapel residents. Does this imply Sager disguised himself as a Jew, maybe leading to the nickname Lipski? It's worth considering.

Stroud has a slight connection to JtR as he was one of the officers involved in the John Whitehouse psychic investigation.

One more thing to note about Walter. While he is supposed to be imprisoned during 1888, apparently while in custody his moustache changed from black to brown overnight. Hmmmmm.

https://kpoulin1.wordpress.com/2009/...-bond-robbery/
      http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/...garReports.htm

https://www.jack-the-ripper-tour.com...spirit-medium/

Comment

Hi Jerry

FYI I recently updated an old thread about Selwyn and his companions over on JtRforums

And included a link to your older thread about this postcard.

My theory would be Selwyn was using a derogatory term for one of Abberline’s partners that investigated Selwyn’s case. I don’t know much about the trial so I can’t really guess at who it would be
        Forum for discussing the police and authorities in London and other police departments world wide, circa 1888.
        Last edited by Kattrup; 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM.

Comment

"The romancer?" What does that mean? I know it could possibly refer to telling stories (lying?) as well as being attractive to women, but it is an odd phrase used here, surely?
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
            "The romancer?" What does that mean? I know it could possibly refer to telling stories (lying?) as well as being attractive to women, but it is an odd phrase used here, surely?
            My reading is that he is calling Abberline a liar, that Abberline just invented Selwyn's complicity. During the 1892 trial, there is quoted from a letter in which Selwyn refers to Abberline as "vindictive" so he clearly thought he had a special relationship with him.

Upon reading the court transcript, I would suggest the Lipski might refer to Lowe, since he was with Abberline when he arrested Selwyn. Richard Lowe, joined 1877, left 1902 as a CID inspector.

Jerry, do you have access to the Standard for 1892? He refers to the Standard for Friday, presumably the week before, i.e. Januar 22nd. Was there something about the case in the paper then?

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

My reading is that he is calling Abberline a liar, that Abberline just invented Selwyn's complicity. During the 1892 trial, there is quoted from a letter in which Selwyn refers to Abberline as "vindictive" so he clearly thought he had a special relationship with him.

Upon reading the court transcript, I would suggest the Lipski might refer to Lowe, since he was with Abberline when he arrested Selwyn. Richard Lowe, joined 1877, left 1902 as a CID inspector.

Jerry, do you have access to the Standard for 1892? He refers to the Standard for Friday, presumably the week before, i.e. Januar 22nd. Was there something about the case in the paper then?
              Thanks for the interesting ideas folks! Kattrup, I'll see if I can find that in the Standard.

Comment

Did Detective Inspector Stroud's granddaughter (?) Dorothy end up with the knife found by Thomas Coram?

Comment

Kattrup.

I couldn't find anything in that Fridays edition of the Standard. There might have been a special edition or something for that day that did not pull up on my searches. I will say, the piece I posted originally had a lot more to it about the case. I was mainly interested in the Lipski portion.

Scott, I'm not sure about what you asked. Not very familiar with where the Coram knife ended up?

Comment

See Jack the Ripper's knife in the A-Z. The knife was given to Dorothy Stroud by Hugh Pollard in 1937. Question: Could the knife have been passed down from Inspector Stroud to Pollard, who gave it to Stroud's granddaughter?

Comment

Working...
                    X