X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
    https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/inf...quest_system/4

What is the purpose of an inquest?

An inquest is a public judicial inquiry to find the answers to a limited but important set of questions:
    • Who the deceased was
    • When and where they died
    • The medical cause of their death
    • How they came by their death
    (my emphasis)
    I can see formal Identification of the deceased, but Im still a little baffled why they would try to decide who the victim was by offering different identifications on the stand. I cant recall any other Inquest data Ive read that allows for the open discussion about who the victim was as the Inquest is underway. Odd kind of thing...unless, as I said, one purpose was to identify the victim publicly...which means put a name, officially, to it. Even so...
    Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

I can see formal Identification of the deceased, but Im still a little baffled why they would try to decide who the victim was by offering different identifications on the stand. I cant recall any other Inquest data Ive read that allows for the open discussion about who the victim was as the Inquest is underway. Odd kind of thing...unless, as I said, one purpose was to identify the victim publicly...which means put a name, officially, to it. Even so...
      Hi Michael,

It's certainly an unusual aspect. If we take LVP standards of identification and the fact that no one seems to use their one, real, name, might it have been a case of having two conflicting but equally plausible identities? MM was convinced it was her sister so it's understandable why the authorities took her seriously. But, MK and the Swedish Vicar also established a reliable identity for a totally different person so perhaps having both at inquest was part of establishing that fact but when MM's sister appears alive and well, then Swedish Liz it is. Doesn't explain why this would be done in public though?
      It would be interesting to see inquests of the period where identity was disputed, not just uncertain but actively disputed. It must have happened, probably for similar reasons as the Titchbourne Claimant and look how that rumbled on. Identity in the LVP was anything but clear.
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by packers stem View Post

Hi Martyn
        It was A C Bruce who wrote off Packer as a fool to the blind by moving the times ..... not the only occasion times shifted during the investigation

Where the red fruit stains on Stride's handkerchief came from , the ones that Phillips didn't spot the first time, is anyone's guess but it will be any red fruit you can conjure up other than black grape skins ..... it will never be from black grape skin
        Hi packers stem

Thanks for your response and apologies for the lateness of mine.

I have pm'd you.

Martyn
        Last edited by mpriestnall; 06-07-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X