Arbeter Fraint's Take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Roy,

"The man pursued escaped, however, and the secretary of the Club cannot remember the name of the man who gave chase, but he is not a member of their body."

How would Wess have remembered the man's name or known he wasn't a club member?

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

In the Echo, William Wess is relating something he heard. If he was told the name of the man giving chase he can't remember it. But whatever he was told, it didn't, to his knowledge, concern one of his club members.

Roy
      Sink the Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
        I agree and don't see the connection between Schwartz and the club. Nor with Wess. The Echo piece simply has Wess relating he heard about some men chasing down the street. Not Schwartz. Not him translating for Schwartz.

Roy
        Thank heavens for that Roy! I thought I must have missed a whole chunk of exclusive, previously unknown sources proving all this without question. I couldn't even get it back to something basic that I recognised.

I think your point about the Echo article and that Wess was relaying what was told to him- with particular emphasis on the incident not involving a club member(?) is a good one.
        That's probably why the journalist didn't mention it in the AF-no point-the club members already knew they had no involvement?

Comment

inclusion

Hello Roy. Thanks.

Some of the piece seems to have been drawn from contemporary news accounts. Of course, the Schwartz story was one of the bigger of its kind. Seems to me it should have been included.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Roy. Thanks.

Some of the piece seems to have been drawn from contemporary news accounts. Of course, the Schwartz story was one of the bigger of its kind. Seems to me it should have been included.

Cheers.
            LC
            Isn't the same true of most of the newspapers though, Lynn?
            Only the Star reported Schwartz's story in detail didn't they?
            Dare I say this?...it makes me think that perhaps Wess didn't have a clue who Schwartz was and didn't do any interpreting for him...or is that going too far?

Comment

The horse shied to the right? Don't they mean left?

Interesting to see the expression "big shot."

Comment

Secret Police files

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                Hello All. Here is the Arbeter Fraint's take on the "Double Event."

Note:

1. The TOD.

2. The grapes story.

3. Complete absence of the Schwartz story.

Cheers.
                LC

[P. 3, col. 2]

[Regular] police and secret police arrived en masse. Everyone who had been in the club was examined, their hands and their clothing inspected, to see if there were blood stains. Everyone’s names and addresses were taken, and everyone was questioned as to whether they had seen anything unusual. During these examinations the police inspector received a telegram [saying] that in Meyter Square near Duke Street Oldgate, another woman had been murdered.
                Note also the only known first hand report of the 1888 Metropolitan Police Special Branch investigation of the Whitechapel Murders, as Stride was considered to be, that further supports traditional entries in Anderson's index ledgers, CID general registry, and an account by one of its officers.

Anyone know who that Special Branch officer was and what he wrote of the Berner Street murder? I included his story in my book.
                Jack the Ripper Writers -- An online community of crime writers and historians.

http://ripperwriters.aforumfree.com

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...nd-black-magic

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

possibilities

Hello Debs. That's one good possibility. But neither did he know the duo involved in the chase, yet they are mentioned.

Of course, it could be that he wished to distance himself and the club from the story.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

perspective

Hello Robert.

"The horse shied to the right? Don't they mean left?"

Well, if one were up the yard, watching from the door or printing office, it would be correct.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• Melville?

Hello Spiro. That is correct. Wess believed that the club was being watched.

Was it Melville, perchance?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• Hi All,

Date unknown -

Click image for larger version

Name:	BERNER STREET.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	663474

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Quien?

Hello Simon. Thanks for that.

Any idea whom?

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• Hi Lynn,

Sadly, no.

Depending on the date it could have been any of either Littlechild's or Melville's lads.

I was taken by a sentence in the AF translation you provided.

"[Regular] police and secret police arrived en masse."

I wonder if this is to be taken literally.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

• Russian

Hello Simon. Yes, that definitely needs clarification. I suppose that, coming largely from Russia, they knew a good deal about the secret police.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Hi Lynn,

And if true, what were all these secret police doing in the area on this night of nights?

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Working...
                                X