Arbeter Fraint's Take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynn:

"Hungarian is more like Finnish and possibly Basque because those are the only 3 European languages which are not Indo-European family. They are all Dravidian languages."

Actually, Lynn, there are a few languages belonging to the so called Finno-Ugric language group, namely Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian and the language spoken by the lapps.

The best,
    Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab View Post
      Wow, cool that Caz was the "inventor“ of the term “minimalist Ripperology“ (even if initially used in a whole another meaning).
      Maria, I do wish you wouldn't twist people's words. I did not claim to be the "inventor" so don't put that word in direct speech marks to imply that I did.

And there's no "if" about it; I have always used the term "in a whole another meaning", as you put it. I realise that English is not your first language so I try to make allowances but really, if you don't fully understand what someone is saying, or what they mean, ask before you blunder in and waste their time trying to correct your faux pas.

'Minimalist ripperology' ought to be a tautology if you are using it in the sense of studying the written record in its entirety and not adding to it, taking away from it or otherwise buggering about with it, just to fit one's own subjective views on the case. That's what ripperology should be in 2012. My initial use of the term (before you stepped in) was for theorists who toss everything out with the bathwater, only to replace it with a baby that has no visible support.

When you and Tom tossed out the grapes, and you tossed out Schwartz's account as bogus, that was how I saw ripper 'minimalism' at work on a smaller scale. They got in the way of your 'Grand' plan so they had to go.

Just in case this confuses you further, I don't have a problem with anyone who has reasonable doubts about the grapes or reservations about Schwartz's account, based purely on what the historical record says about both; my problem is when an agenda is showing that has considerably less going for it than what is being discarded.

Le Grand has to be conjured up on Berner Street first, if that's the agenda, before you can start arguing what else can stay and what must go.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Estonian

Hello Christer. Thanks. Yes, Finno-Ugric. Didn't realise Estonian was a sub-tongue. I would have guessed an affinity with Polish.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
          Hello Debs. Surely, between those two dates?

Cheers.
          LC
          Maybe, Lynn. But it doesn't include September does it?

Comment

• THIS is minimalist Ripperology :

Comment

• year

Hello Debs. 1889?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Hello Caz,
                Having not experienced Ripperology and its history/precedents but for less than 2 years, I've been using the term “minimalist“ as it's used in the arts, AKA in the sense of “concentrating on the bare essentials“.

Originally posted by caz View Post
                Le Grand has to be conjured up on Berner Street first, if that's the agenda, before you can start arguing what else can stay and what must go.
                The fact that Packer lied was known to the contemporaries LONG before Le Grand became visible on the radar. Apparently you're not satisfied with his physical description on the murder scene. Not that I'm willing or trying to convince you of anything. To each their own opinion.

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                Didn't realise Estonian was a sub-tongue. I would have guessed an affinity with Polish.
                Completely different, Lynn. Polish is close to the slavic languages, though the Poles today don't even wanna hear about this (for obvious reasons).

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                THIS is minimalist Ripperology :
                This is the sweetest!
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

• guess

Hello Maria. As I said, it would be merely a guess.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello Debs. 1889?

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Hi Lynn. 1889?
                    If you're asking if I mean September 1889 then no, I mean 1888. Hall says Grande was working as a private inquiry man in Oct 1888 (and June 1889) and this October date must refer to the WVC work. So, Hall's evidence doesn't support Grande being hired by the WVC in September?

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                      If you're asking if I mean September 1889 then no, I mean 1888. Hall says Grande was working as a private inquiry man in Oct 1888 (and June 1889) and this October date must refer to the WVC work. So, Hall's evidence doesn't support Grande being hired by the WVC in September?
                      Apologies for butting in, but might I inquire from which month in 1888 is the Le Grand detective agency ad in Loyd's Weekly that Lynn has discovered? I've got the ad right here on my comp, but NOT its date!
                      Plus, it makes sense that Le Grand and Bachelor were hired by the WVC in September, since they were already at work on Oct. 1st. Or not? There are a couple old threads on this.

To Lynn:
                      Lynn, in my easyjet flight from Berlin to Orly there was a Hungarian steward prominently announced among the crew, their welcome announcement went something like this: “Our crew today speaks Hungarian, German, and English“. It cracked me up and reminded me of the old adage “You're a Ripperologist if you meet Hungarian people born in London and can't refrain from asking them if one of their ancestors was named Israel Schwartz.“
                      Best regards,
                      Maria

Comment

• Ah!

Hello Debs. Ah! OK. Looks like he came to work after that date--but he might mean he worked before but in a different capacity.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• Would you do that?

Hello Maria. Just to be clear--did you? (Heh-heh)

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• Hello Lynn. I didn't, and he was not from London. But he was being very friendly and I was thinking to myself, “Gee, maybe I can pull out something research-wise out of this.“ What's hilarious is that when the crew announced “Our language of the day is...Hungarian“ I must have jumped off my seat, Pavlov's dog reflex, lol.

Lynn, could you clarify about the ad's date if possible? :-(
                            Best regards,
                            Maria

Comment

• advert

Hello Maria. You mean the Grand and Batchelor advert? Well, I believe it was June, 1888. It seems that the paper carrying it was a "Lloyd's Weekly" from early June--3 or 10, if I recall properly.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab View Post
                                Apologies for butting in, but might I inquire from which month in 1888 is the Le Grand detective agency ad in Loyd's Weekly that Lynn has discovered? I've got the ad right here on my comp, but NOT its date!
                                Plus, it makes sense that Le Grand and Bachelor were hired by the WVC in September, since they were already at work on Oct. 1st. Or not? There are a couple old threads on this.
                                I mentioned Lynn's ad. find and that it appeared from at least June 88, in the same post as I posted the Hall snippet.

He may have advertised but did he get any work?

Comment

Working...
                                X