Arbeter Fraint's Take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new man

Hello Debs. Good point. If all that is true, it seems clear that she had a new gentleman.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      Hello (again) Jon. I tend to agree with that also. Of course, some press reports run counter to all other facts. In that case, one might approach with caution.

Cheers.
      LC
      Certainly, I'm more concerned where we have no 'sworn' statements to guide us, then we are left with news reports, and the work gets a little harder.

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
      Hello Jon,

Yes, I like this post alot. Newspapers have their weaknesses of course, but I must say that I get surprised that one newspaper is "regarded as" a greater source of truthful information than another. One has to take each article on its merits.
      The Star perhaps has a bad reputation, because of blatantly trying to sell with sensationlism, whilst the Times and The Telegraph a better one. Lloyd's weekly and The Echo are newspapers I like to read the content of. But I am sure that the Star also picked up some fine pieces of information, and the Times reported some things poorly.
      Well thankyou Phil.
      All the papers dabbled in a little creative license, and they all made mistakes, all of them.
      The Pall Mall Gazette was deemed the worst for its radical and contrary stance, the Star was the next violator.

The thing with the Star is they provide helpfull insights into the what we might call the infrastructure of what was happening at street level, among the people, what was being talked about, and a detailed insight, for instance, into what Millers Court looked like. Stories that their writers could actually see & witness themselves out on the street, come across as handy material.

Where we need to use extreme caution with the Star is when they provide stories purported to express police opinion, or that they have inside information from the police.
      These stories need to be double-checked as often they are just hype, of little to no substance. Also, when they print witness stories which differ from what was said to police, ie; Hutchinson, Schwartz. And lets not forget their slanderous attack on Pizer for which they narrowly avoided being sued for libel.

There is no black & white with newspapers, just multiple shades of grey, if you get my drift.

Good health to you Phil.

Regards, Jon S.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Now hold on!

Hello Jon. Thanks.

"I am still a little perplexed that she apparently held onto anything in her hands while she was rapidly attacked."

The cachous? Maybe. My wife held on when I attacked her. That was part of the experiment.

"But who knows... I'm not convinced Stride was a Ripper victim so any tactic employed here need not be 'typical' of any other murders."

"You're a wise man, van Helsing."

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

The cachous? Maybe. My wife held on when I attacked her. That was part of the experiment.

"But who knows... I'm not convinced Stride was a Ripper victim so any tactic employed here need not be 'typical' of any other murders."

"You're a wise man, van Helsing."

Cheers.
          LC
          Were cachous really that small?

Comment

• size

Hello Debs. Well, the breath kind were. Same size as a match tip--which is what I used in the demo.

I tasted a few of them when a boy. Quite disgusting.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Hello Debs. Well, the breath kind were. Same size as a match tip--which is what I used in the demo.

I tasted a few of them when a boy. Quite disgusting.

Cheers.
              LC
              They were known as "Imps" when I was a kid, small, black & nearly blew your head off!
              Though I thought what Stride had were larger? you'd never see Imps in the dark,.....like the grapes

Regards, Jon S.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• lodged

Hello Jon. Well, IF they were indeed lodged between thumb and forefinger, then I suppose they were quite small?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Hello Jon. Well, IF they were indeed lodged between thumb and forefinger, then I suppose they were quite small?

Cheers.
                  LC
                  Stories differ but I read that the typical boiled sweet that was sold in glass jars back in the 60's, in corner sweet shops were developed from the 19th century cachou. I guess todays cough sweets like Halls, Vicks, and the like, are perhaps the nearest we have today to the old cachou.

Wasn't it the paper packet that was held between her thumb & forefinger?
                  Who knows how many cachous it contained, or their size.

Regards, Jon S.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• size

Hello Jon.

"I guess todays cough sweets like Halls, Vicks, and the like, are perhaps the nearest we have today to the old cachou."

Well, the breath variety are more like Sen Sen.

"Wasn't it the paper packet that was held between her thumb & forefinger?"

Yes, indeed.

"Who knows how many cachous it contained, or their size."

Well, several is a good working hypothesis. After all, the doctors seem to have spilled several. And if so, they would need to be small.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• Aren't the venerable "Parma Violets" regarded as a cachou? Certainly they were smaller (than now is the case) in the days of my youth...Imps certainly weren't regarded as breath fresheners in my circles...but maybe in the land of bridies and deep-fried Mars Bars? (Sorry Lynn!)

Dave

Comment

• breath freshener

Hello Jon, Dave. Try this.

Cheers.
                        LC

Shop Old Fashioned and Retro Candy from the 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s & today - still available after all these years. You're never too old for a childhood memory. Free Shipping on orders of $250 or more.

Comment

• Yuk! Eugh! aghh! no!

I can't believe that particular confection was regarded in the LVP as a cachou!

Dave

Comment

• yuck!

Hello Dave. Sad but true. Those are what were referred to as the breath cachous. Completely disgusting.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• Hi Lynn, I wasn't sure what you meant by Sen-sen, never heard the name before but yes, those small black squares, liquorice flavor, the same as Imps.
                              They came in a small tin box, about the size of a snuff tin if I recall.

19th century halitosis must have been pretty rank if these things made an improvement!

Regards, Jon S.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Likewise

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X