Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    Hi Jon,
    A grapestalk was found supposedly in the drain in DY, by an ex convict, thief, confidence trickster and blackmailer posing as a private detective, himself suspected as being Jack the Ripper by a Scotland Yard detective.

Yes Debs, I'm quite familiar with the conspiracy theory, but its only a theory. The fact remains the stalk was there and acknowledged by Swanson, how it got there is another matter.
    Also, how old those fruit stains were is another consideration. But, not knowing is no reason to dismiss the evidence.

How reliable could anything that man produced in evidence be?
    It depends on what you are comparing him with. In "Mr Rogers Neighborhood" he would certainly stand out, but in Jack London's People of the Abyss , he's just part of the furniture.
    Its all relative Debs. We tend to look upon the citizenry as honest and innocent yet this is the East end, an environment totally alien to our couch-potato lifestyle.
    A local crook, confidence trickster, liar, charlatan, thief or pimp can still be a witness, especially as that might cover a number of the male population of Whitechapel at some point or other in their life.

I do accept Phillips may have been being cautious in his wording because he was not 100 percent sure about whether he saw grape flesh or not, although I did post the excerpt to show that grape flesh may not have been as invisible to the naked eye in the stomach contents as some were suggesting,
    And you were right to do so, it provided balance, a good find.

As long as both sides keep that in mind we'll all get along fine!

All the best, Jon S.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman
      It depends on what you are comparing him with. In "Mr Rogers Neighborhood" he would certainly stand out, but in Jack London's People of the Abyss , he's just part of the furniture.
      Its all relative Debs. We tend to look upon the citizenry as honest and innocent yet this is the East end, an environment totally alien to our couch-potato lifestyle.
      A local crook, confidence trickster, liar, charlatan, thief or pimp can still be a witness, especially as that might cover a number of the male population of Whitechapel at some point or other in their life.

Yes, Jon, I'm quite familiar with the East End population's criminal activity I have been studying the contemporary newspapers for a very long time. Grande had a specific past record for fabricating evidence and producing false witnesses.
      At the time of the grapestalk 'find', no one at Scotland yard was aware of Grande's past.
      These facts about Grande have to be factored into the bigger picture in my view, for the sake of balance.

Comment

• to the max

Hello Rob.

"I think the way minimalist was used came across to me as a bit derogatory."

And if so, of course it would be wrong. But in ontology, it would be considered a great compliment.

From my perspective, minimal, maximal, makes no difference. I merely seek truth--whatever form it may take.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• the grape divide

Hello Jon, Debs. Here's a question for all of us--whichever side of the grape divide we are on.

Q: "In terms of killer/killing models, what impact would the existence/non-existence of grapes have on it?"

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            Hello Jon, Debs. Here's a question for all of us--whichever side of the grape divide we are on.

Q: "In terms of killer/killing models, what impact would the existence/non-existence of grapes have on it?"

Cheers.
            LC
            None, its a peripheral issue of no consequence in identifying the killer.

Neither Diemschitz nor Kozebrodski had reason to invent them. And, there is no reasonable model for "mistaken identity".
            No-one saw grapes on Mary Kelly, Annie Chapman or Catherine Eddowes, where congealed & clotted blood was more abundant, grapes=clots is just plain ****
            Nope, this issue is no more closed than the question of who wrote the GSG, and other unsolved issues.

Regards, Jon S.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

From my perspective, minimal, maximal, makes no difference. I merely seek truth--whatever form it may take.
              They are extreme's of course, while most researchers occupy a middle zone.
              Minimalists tend to stick only to absolute facts, whereas maximalists might take every potential hypothesis available as a potential solution.

Neither should be regarded as the most reasonable path to follow, somewhere in the middle the truth lies.
              (There's an oxymoron, "the truth lies")

Like here in many of these debates, we simply cannot ignore newspaper stories. Some will ignore them altogether, but the press is an amazing source at our disposal for this period. Why do you think the Casebook Press Reports is so well used?, because it is a valuable resource.
              The difficulty always comes in when a particular news story is brought into a debate and predictably "someone" throws down the "unverified stories" card.

What the papers do tell us is the "word on the street" which is not to be so cavalierly dismissed. Certainly the maximalist view of believing everything is just as wrong as the minimalist view of dismissing everything.

It takes work to access how worthy a story might be when all points are considered.

Regards, Jon S.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• food and solicitation

Hello Jon.

"None, its a peripheral issue of no consequence in identifying the killer."

In general I agree. However, would you say that solicitation is less likely with food present in each hand?

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• press

Hello (again) Jon. I tend to agree with that also. Of course, some press reports run counter to all other facts. In that case, one might approach with caution.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                    They are extreme's of course, while most researchers occupy a middle zone.
                    Minimalists tend to stick only to absolute facts, whereas maximalists might take every potential hypothesis available as a potential solution.

Neither should be regarded as the most reasonable path to follow, somewhere in the middle the truth lies.
                    (There's an oxymoron, "the truth lies")

Like here in many of these debates, we simply cannot ignore newspaper stories. Some will ignore them altogether, but the press is an amazing source at our disposal for this period. Why do you think the Casebook Press Reports is so well used?, because it is a valuable resource.
                    The difficulty always comes in when a particular news story is brought into a debate and predictably "someone" throws down the "unverified stories" card.

What the papers do tell us is the "word on the street" which is not to be so cavalierly dismissed. Certainly the maximalist view of believing everything is just as wrong as the minimalist view of dismissing everything.

It takes work to access how worthy a story might be when all points are considered.

Regards, Jon S.
                    Hello Jon,

Yes, I like this post alot. Newspapers have their weaknesses of course, but I must say that I get surprised that one newspaper is "regarded as" a greater source of truthful information than another. One has to take each article on its merits.
                    The Star perhaps has a bad reputation, because of blatantly trying to sell with sensationlism, whilst the Times and The Telegraph a better one. Lloyd's weekly and The Echo are newspapers I like to read the content of. But I am sure that the Star also picked up some fine pieces of information, and the Times reported some things poorly.

Good post of yours. Thank you.

kindly

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello Jon.

In general I agree. However, would you say that solicitation is less likely with food present in each hand?

Cheers.
                      LC
                      Hello Lynn,

Brings new meanings to the word "cuddle" perhaps? LOL

best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

• important things first

Hello Phil. Thanks.

On the other hand, did hear of one bloke who was unable to kiss his girl good night. Teeth stuck together with taffy.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Hello Phil. Thanks.

On the other hand, did hear of one bloke who was unable to kiss his girl good night. Teeth stuck together with taffy.

Cheers.
                          LC
                          Hello Lynn,

Ahh..taffy.. a good old American kind of toffee I seem to recall. Nothing to do with the Welsh. lol

best wishes

Phil
                          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Hello Jon.

Cheers.
                            LC
                            Less necessary maybe?
                            If he buys you 3d worth of grapes at 11pm and he's still around at 1am, then you've pulled or you are already well aquainted?

Comment

• funny

Hello Phil. Good one.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Hello Jon.

Cheers.
                                LC
                                " 'ere, just 'old these love while I relieve myself for a minute".

She turns her back and....

I am still a little perplexed that she apparently held onto anything in her hands while she was rapidly attacked. I think we all know it does happen, cases are quoted, but are they not more of an exception than the rule?

The alternate, that anything was planted in her hands afterwards is too contrived to consider. There's enough of that being suggested in this case as it is.
                                Therefore, a swift attack causing her to clench her fingers, or at least not drop anything, appears the most likely solution. The reason she had anything in her hands at all might have been, as I said above, a tactic employed by the killer to occupy her hands for a few seconds.

But who knows... I'm not convinced Stride was a Ripper victim so any tactic employed here need not be 'typical' of any other murders.

Regards, Jon S.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X