• Lynn:

"But then, what is lager? "

Cold ...?

Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      Phil Carter:

""Lange" or "Lang" is Swedish (and Norwegian) for "Long" as well."

OBJECTION! Long is "långa" in Swedish when attacahed to a female, and "långe" when attached to a man.

As for the rest, Phil, you could be passed off as a genuine Swede any day in the week. Bravo!

The best,
      Fisherman
      Hello Christer,

I plead that I am writing by phone and havent the Swedish letters on it, the grammatical use of the male/female variation is, I believe, only Swedish- ja?
      Takker!

Kindly
      Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        Dr. Turtletaub informs me that the Berner st Yiddish is HIGHLY Germanised--much more than her usual Yiddish.
        Yes, this is the exact same thing Prof. Jerry Sadock here at the UofC said to me when I showed him the AF! His very first comment. (After deploring the horrible quality of the printout and inserting the page into his eye.) Plus it cracked us up that the AF kept talking about Hyde Park, and we ARE in Hyde Park, albeit Chicago Hyde Park.
        To Phil Carter: Prof. Sadock is an authority also in Western Greenlandic Eskimo. :-)

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
        After all, how many people in Spitalfields spoke Swedish? But how many, Yiddish? And to an untrained ear . . . ?
        Fully agree, Lynn.

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
        I fear not, Lynn. 'Minimalist' is sooo last season...'mind-bogglingly complex' is all the rage lately. I'm just not 'with it' anymore.
        I thought impressionist Ripperology was the latest rage, esp. with all those new artist suspects popping up daily.
        And by the way Debs, I agree with you that Tom's "15 members only for the IWEC" doesn't add up. Unless he meant the "executive board"? Lynn, could you clarify?
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

• Phil:

"I plead that I am writing by phone and havent the Swedish letters on it"

HowŽs that for a bad excuse ...

Well, OK then!

"the grammatical use of the male/female variation is, I believe, only Swedish- ja?"

Yes, as far as I know. We are quite a unique people - and modest about it too!

The best,
          Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            We are quite a unique people - and modest about it too!
            You're totally OK, and on Saturday morning I'm supposed to be in Stockholm (Arlanda). (Messing with you with the Danish flag.)
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

• Then I wish you a happy journey and a good stay, Maria! And the Danish flag is a sight for sore eyes to most Scanians (I live in Scania, the southernmost part of Sweden). We used to belong to Denmark for a long stretch of time, up til the middle of the 17:th century!

The best,
              Fisherman

Comment

• Interesting. I was in Stockholm for 3 days in January as well. It was nice.
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

• interpretation

Hello Maria. I had better let Tom do that. Perhaps a reference to those who were left over after the debate?

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Perhaps a reference to those who were left over after the debate?
                    Don't think so, cuz after the speech there was dancing and singing, with women and drinks.
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

• party

Hello Maria. Singing, indeed. But I thought the other part--dancing and drinking--were denied of that night?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab View Post

I thought impressionist Ripperology was the latest rage, esp. with all those new artist suspects popping up daily.
                        And by the way Debs, I agree with you that Tom's "15 members only for the IWEC" doesn't add up. Unless he meant the "executive board"? Lynn, could you clarify?
                        Oh yeah, the impressionists! At least putting them straight unites all other persuasions.

Tom wrote "Considering that the club had only about 15 'members' but many times that in attendees" it seems to refer to general membership numbers of the club.

Comment

Hello Debs. Whatever you DO is fashionable. (Heh-heh)

Regarding gossip and rumour, have you noticed that, from the "Echo/Scotsman" story, it talks about the one regarded as the murderer?

Sounds like many at the club (or perhaps those who lived on Berner st) had formed private opinions about the crime and the culprit.

Cheers.
                          LC

A straightforward reading of those two articles would suggest that the man running away, talked about as 'the one regarded as the murderer', is Schwartz. His actions fit with what is being described don't they?

If others did see him running away and jumped to conclusions,then perhaps this would be Wess's source for the story and not Schwartz himself?

Comment

• chase

Hello Debs. Ah, I see. If "Pipeman" were indeed chasing Schwartz, one might have the impression that Schwartz were being chased as the murderer.

Of course, in the standard story, the "chase" began a good bit before the murder? Perhaps a good many accepted the story as hearsay but believed it?

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• Wess had the murderer being chased at a quarter to one? He can't be relied upon to give an accurate time if he wasn't even at the club and was given the story second hand?

Edit: Oh, You mean Schwartz ran off before the murder even occured in his own account?
                              Last edited by Debra A; 03-21-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• standard

Hello Debs. No, I meant the standard story where Liz is killed at 1.00 and the fiend is interrupted by Diemshitz. Schwartz was about 12.45.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X