Arbeter Fraint's Take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gossip

Hello Debs. Whatever you DO is fashionable. (Heh-heh)

Regarding gossip and rumour, have you noticed that, from the "Echo/Scotsman" story, it talks about the one regarded as the murderer?

Sounds like many at the club (or perhaps those who lived on Berner st) had formed private opinions about the crime and the culprit.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Maria:

"fingerprinting was NOT yet introduced in Victorian police investigating!"

And should that make us assume that Phillips did not know what a fingerprint was? Was that why he said "It is a mystery" - because he had never seen a fingerprint before?

Donīt you, Maria, think that Phillips would have said that there were fingerprints set off in blood on Strideīs hand, if this had been the case?

I know I do.

The best,
      Fisherman

Comment

• reading Yiddish

Hello Maria. Which brings up the question, "Could Liz READ Yiddish as well as speak it?"

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

Regarding gossip and rumour, have you noticed that, from the "Echo/Scotsman" story, it talks about the one regarded as the murderer?

Sounds like many at the club (or perhaps those who lived on Berner st) had formed private opinions about the crime and the culprit.

Cheers.
          LC
          Exactly. It appears they just caught the chase and leapt to a conclusion after learning of the murder.

Comment

• bifurcation

Hello Velma. Good thinking.

I have read just a bit about Kozebrodsky and, if I recall properly, he emigrated to America. Perhaps I can find a snippet or two later.

Are you suggesting that:

1. He witnessed the event?

2. Perpetrated it?

1 is not unlikely--in my humble opinion. 2? Need a motive here. Best I can do on short notice is to suggest misinterpretation of Stride's presence in the yard followed by his panic. Feels slender.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• Hello Lynn,

At various times the question as to whether Stride spoke Yiddish as well as Swedish has been raised. A fairly obvious example of similarity has been given in this AF publication.

"Lange Lisa" is quoted as Yiddish.
              "Lange" or "Lang" is Swedish (and Norwegian) for "Long" as well.
              The translation of course is "Long Lisa"

In Scandinavian languages, mostly Swedish and Norwegian, though Danish as well, the name "Elizabeth" is normally spelled as "Elisabet" or "Elisabeth"
              The shortened versions of the name are varied, but include "Elisa" "Lisa" "Liss" (more modern) "Lisbet" and "Lisa".
              The Germanic language influence on Yiddish you probably know all about already,

Hope this is of some small help.

Kindly

Phil
              Last edited by Phil Carter; 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM.
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

• private opinion

Hello (again) Velma. And one never knows what to do with such private opinion. It could be spot on; it could be wide of the mark.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                  Quote Maria:"fingerprinting was NOT yet introduced in Victorian police investigating!"
                  And should that make us assume that Phillips did not know what a fingerprint was? Was that why he said "It is a mystery" - because he had never seen a fingerprint before? Donīt you, Maria, think that Phillips would have said that there were fingerprints set off in blood on Strideīs hand, if this had been the case?
                  But Fish, fingerprints visible with no equipment on blood clots on human flesh, in the dark? (And I thought I was the one being tipsy.)

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Hello Maria. Which brings up the question, "Could Liz READ Yiddish as well as speak it?"
                  Now that I've been through it myself (having learned to decifer "Schwartz" and "Zusammenkunft" in Yiddish), I'd say, highly unlikely, but let's keep an open mind. And what's it to you if she could read Yiddish? Hope you're not considering her a Mata Hari, Lynn? :-)
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

• Phil Carter:

""Lange" or "Lang" is Swedish (and Norwegian) for "Long" as well."

OBJECTION! Long is "långa" in Swedish when attacahed to a female, and "långe" when attached to a man.

As for the rest, Phil, you could be passed off as a genuine Swede any day in the week. Bravo!

The best,
                    Fisherman

Comment

• Maria:

"But Fish, fingerprints visible with no equipment on blood clots on human flesh, in the dark?"

Say what? What makes you think they went away en route to the morgue...? Phillips witnessed about the "clots" - not the "fingerprints" that would have been there if Johnston had been guilty - at the inquest.

Besides, fingerprints would have been quite easy to recognise in the light of a police lantern too, even if it was dark. Not that it was needed, though ...

The best,
                      Fisherman
                      Last edited by Fisherman; 03-21-2012, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Germanic

Hello Phil. Thanks for that. Dr. Turtletaub informs me that the Berner st Yiddish is HIGHLY Germanised--much more than her usual Yiddish.

I argued long ago for the likeness of Swedish and Yiddish.

In fact, do you recall the story about Liz, that she was speaking to someone in the CLH in Swedish? It was my contention that she may have been speaking Yiddish. After all, how many people in Spitalfields spoke Swedish? But how many, Yiddish? And to an untrained ear . . . ?

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                          I fear not, Lynn. 'Minimalist' is sooo last season...'mind-bogglingly complex' is all the rage lately. I'm just not 'with it' anymore.

Comment

• It Matas not.

Hello Maria. And what's the Mata with that? (Heh-heh)

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• No langer lager.

Hello Christer. But then, what is lager? (Heh-heh)

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• dialect

Hello Debs. Totally awesome! (Ugh, that's sickening--even as a quip.)

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X