Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Liz's "Date" Necessarily a Romantic One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Maria,

Thanks for asking about me. I am okay. I can no longer access the site from work so I am not on here as much as before but I still look in on it on a regular basis.

Hope all is well with you. See you on the Stride thread.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
      The pink (vs. the black) dahlia? I'm not very good with flowers, accessories, and other girly stuff.
      You're letting the female team down Maria.
      Funny how those officials never thought to ask a woman what the flower was, what do men know about flowers anyway, given the variety of male opinions, zip!

Regards, Jon S.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

red and white

Hello Jon. I'm astonished. Can't recall dahlias before. Did read about one witness who thought they were part red and part white. Maybe this is what was meant?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Anarchists

Hello Jason. Only problem is that the Anarchists were as poor as church mice.

Liz would need to be rather dumb to try them.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

long term

Hello Mac. But what if, instead of a "quick one," Liz and some bloke were planning on something long term? I think that is the thrust of CD's thought experiment.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello Jon. I'm astonished. Can't recall dahlias before. Did read about one witness who thought they were part red and part white. Maybe this is what was meant?

Cheers.
              LC
              Hi Lynn.
              According to my wife, many varieties of flower available today were not around in the 19th century. On top of this we have the time of year to consider, which she say's, should rule out many, except the Dahlia.
              A picked Geranium, she say's, would have died within an hour or so.
              Has anyone ever bought picked Geraniums for your ladies?

Though she thinks the Carnation is the most likely, which is also normally accompanied by Maidenhair Fern or Baby's Breath.

Who knows?, we wouldn't have this problem if they'd only asked a woman.

Regards, Jon S.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

French culture

Hi Jon
                Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                Has anyone ever bought picked Geraniums for your ladies?
                Regards, Jon S.
                If you're lucky enough to have a window in your toilet, then put it on the ledge.

Comment

Hello Mac. But what if, instead of a "quick one," Liz and some bloke were planning on something long term? I think that is the thrust of CD's thought experiment.

Cheers.
                  LC
                  Hello Lynn,

Actually, I was going in the opposite direction. The date argument is usually used to support the theory that the killing was domestic in nature. Jealousy of some type being the main motive. I was attempting to show that the date could have been business in nature thus removing jealousy as the motive, it being simply part of an evening of prostitution.

I would expect evidence of Liz planning something long term with someone would have turned up in the investigation. Liz mentioning her intentions to a friend for example.

Finally, were the Anarchists that much poorer than the average working man in Whitechapel?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                    Hello Mac,

Her date would not necessarily had to have been with Jack. It could have been anybody. It did not necessarily have to be a romantic date, it could have been a working date. The point being that a romantic date can go bad and a working date mostly likely ends after having sex. I think it is all pretty much a moot point. If I had to guess, I would say that Liz was probably working that night. But even if she had been on a date of any type, I think that it ended and she resorted to picking up customers. I think that is how she hooked up with Jack.

c.d.
                    Hello CD,

She could have been on a date, but I would have thought her suitor would have bought her a beer in a pub - not asked her to stand around.

It is actually an important question. Was Jack someone who trawled the pubs or someone who trawled the streets? The pubs would suggest someone like Sadler or Grainger; the streets more someone in the mould of Kosminski.

Comment

Cheers.
                      LC
                      Hello Lynn,

Possible in the way many things are possible. Not sure hanging around at half twelve at night is the sign of a would be romance.

Comment

sniff sniff--phew!

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Of course, if it were a geranium, YOU might die within the hour--from the smell.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

greeners

Hello CD.

"I was attempting to show that the date could have been business in nature thus removing jealousy as the motive, it being simply part of an evening of prostitution."

But why buy a flower for that?

"I would expect evidence of Liz planning something long term with someone would have turned up in the investigation. Liz mentioning her intentions to a friend for example."

Well, if it were a clerkly fellow, it might be kept quiet.

"Finally, were the Anarchists that much poorer than the average working man in Whitechapel?'

Given what I've read, they could hardly afford to publish their paper. Remember, they were largely immigrants and so many may have been "greeners."

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

standing around

Hello Mac.

"I would have thought her suitor would have bought her a beer in a pub - not asked her to stand around."

Strikes me too.

"It is actually an important question. Was Jack someone who trawled the pubs or someone who trawled the streets? The pubs would suggest someone like Sadler or Grainger; the streets more someone in the mould of Kosminski."

Or perhaps, did he exist at all?

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Hello (again) Mac.

"Not sure hanging around at half twelve at night is the sign of a would be romance."

I can certainly agree with that. In fact, a poor woman, dressed up, a bit of a distance from home--sounds like she is waiting for someone, perhaps important.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                                She could have been on a date, but I would have thought her suitor would have bought her a beer in a pub - not asked her to stand around.
                                That seems to be suggested by Best. That Stride & her companion had just been served at the Bricklayers Arms when Best & Gardner arrived shortly before 11 o'clock. She doesn't seem to have been associated with drink for the next two hours, yet was seen twice after that.
                                Was she with the same date for two hours?

Regards, Jon S.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X