Liz Stride Photo clean up,,,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liz Stride Photo clean up,,,

Im an Oscar winning Makeup Effects artist. I often use Photoshop to design my work, and over the years have become quite good at fixing problems with photos.
    Ive always been disappointed at the poor quality of the Victims photos. With all the technology it seems a shame that better quality photos are not available to see. they are all very low res, and the originals are not great anyway being Victorian obviously, and the negatives, long gone.
    I wanted to see if I could do anything. Ive started with Liz Stride. Now obviously It would be a mistake to add too much detail where there simply isn't any, so the results are always going to be less than perfect.
    The first thing I see when I look at the face and hair is that it is still covered in blood. It looks like an attempt has been made to wash most of it off, but the residue still remains. this is what makes the features hard to discern. Then there are all the other confusing artifacts. Ive done my best to clean all that up.
    Heres the results...
    Attached Files

The reason Ive started with Liz, despite speculation over her being a Ripper Victim or not, is that she is also a lot less mutilated than the others. I didnt want to be too shocking, although that may be inevitable.

Comment

Nice! She is way less mutilated than others alright, but strangely she looks more bruised than the others, like if she had been seriously beaten.

Comment

This is very subtle and .. natural.

I am not usually bothered about enhancements of the victim photos, but this is very interesting.

Thanks for sharing your work.
        JB

Comment

Yes, of course its impossible using these photos to tell bruising from blood stains. with her throat cut, blood would be escaping rapidly and explosively from both the wound and her mouth. Her own hands or the murderers may have smeared the blood further around her face. Plus as I say, it looks like someone, possibly the coroner has attempted to wash some of the blood away. Its been done without much care. What looks like a very misshapen or swollen lip is more likely a combination of the missing lower teeth, for she is lying down, and dried blood. Interesting. These are all things Ive noted as my job has often required me to duplicate crime scenes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aberlime View Post
            Yes, of course its impossible using these photos to tell bruising from blood stains.
            yep, and it's a shame, cause it could give so much more clues about the murderers methods and how it differs from one victim to another. but maybe with all the technologies noadays there could be some way to make blue marks and dark brown dryied blood stain appear with a different nuance. I'm no graphist or anything and me+technology is a receipe for disastre, but you might know

Comment

This picture was pulled from the internet. Perhaps someone out there might have slightly better images of Liz or any of the other victims. If so contact me and maybe I can get better results..Thanks.

Comment

Sgh has been working a lot of pictures, to make them cleaner, enhance them or even colourize them, maybe you should ask him (or her)

Comment

Hi Abberlime,

Very good work. I would be very interested to see your work on the other victims.

Best wishes.

Comment

This is great work, Abberlime. Something like this serves to remind us that behind those old, scratched up photos were living and breathing women.

Comment

Totally agree FrancoLoco. The other pictures might be unavoidably more gruesome, but im hoping with better visual information will come more clarity and discussion. Though, I doubt there will be any real conclusions. That said, better information is never a bad thing.

Comment

Thanks for the enhancement, Aberlime, and welcome to the boards.

Just a little clarification on Elizabeth Stride's lower lip.

It was her upper teeth that were missing. Liz was supposed to have claimed they were knocked out during the Princes Alice disaster while climbing down from the sinking vessel.

Her peculiarly prominent bottom lip was evidently a natural feature for her. One of her nicknames was 'Hippy Lip Annie'.
                        Best Wishes,
                        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                          Thanks for the enhancement, Aberlime, and welcome to the boards.

Just a little clarification on Elizabeth Stride's lower lip.

It was her upper teeth that were missing. Liz was supposed to have claimed they were knocked out during the Princes Alice disaster while climbing down from the sinking vessel.

Her peculiarly prominent bottom lip was evidently a natural feature for her. One of her nicknames was 'Hippy Lip Annie'.
                          charming. thanks, then it's pretty clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberlime View Post
                            Im an Oscar winning Makeup Effects artist. I often use Photoshop to design my work, and over the years have become quite good at fixing problems with photos.
                            Ive always been disappointed at the poor quality of the Victims photos. With all the technology it seems a shame that better quality photos are not available to see. they are all very low res, and the originals are not great anyway being Victorian obviously, and the negatives, long gone.
                            I wanted to see if I could do anything. Ive started with Liz Stride. Now obviously It would be a mistake to add too much detail where there simply isn't any, so the results are always going to be less than perfect.
                            The first thing I see when I look at the face and hair is that it is still covered in blood. It looks like an attempt has been made to wash most of it off, but the residue still remains. this is what makes the features hard to discern. Then there are all the other confusing artifacts. Ive done my best to clean all that up.
                            Heres the results...
                            Hello Abberlime,

Really good to get a clearer photo - have you tried Annie Chapmanīs wedding photo? I would like to know whether her face is swollen on one side or if it is a defect in the picture.

One thing about Lizīs photo really creeped me out when I first noticed it. If you look closely from a certain angle, especially on the left side, you can make out the outline of her eye and it looks as if she is staring at you through the eyelids. When I got my commonsense back I thought this might be due to her eyes bulging as they would as if she had been strangled, making it more likely that she was a Ripper victim.

Best wishes, and keep them coming,
                            C4
                            Last edited by curious4; 07-01-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Impressive work, Aberlime. For the record, there was no bruising to Stride's face.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                              X