No announcement yet.

The cut in the throat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Accordance with the Forty-Ninth through Fifty-Third Annual Reports of the Registrar-General of Births, Deaths, and Marriages in England:

Registered Deaths of Male & Female Adults (Ages 20 - xx) throughout England, Classified as 'Murder': 1886-1890 (Click Image, to Enlarge in flickr)

Registered Deaths of Male & Female Adults (Ages 20 - xx) throughout England, Classified as 'Murder'; Exclusive of Those, which were by way of 'Cut Throat' (Purple) / Those, which were by way of 'Cut Throat' (Lavender): 1886-1890 (Click Image, to Enlarge in flickr)

Registered Deaths of Male & Female Adults (Ages 20 - xx) throughout England, Classified as 'Murder'; Exclusive of Those, which were by way of 'Cut Throat' (Purple) & Those, which were by way of 'Cut Throat' (Lavender): 1886-1890 (Click Image, to Enlarge in flickr)

Originally posted by Colin Roberts View Post
    I am not here to discuss whether Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes were felled by the same hand.
    I will, however, state for the record that I am inclined to believe that they were.

In fact, the most objective posture that I am able to assume, in this particular instance, inclines me toward the perception of something on the order of a 2/3 (i.e. 66.67%) probability that they were.

Additionally, the most subjective posture that I will allow myself to assume, in this particular instance, inclines me toward the perception of something on the order of a 3/4 (i.e. 75.00%) probability that they were.

I will, also, state for the record that there was a time when I was inclined to believe that they were not. So, please, think twice, before suggesting that I am mired in some sort of archaic 'Ripperological' convention.

I am not!

In fact, I would contend that my viewpoint, at that time, - i.e. that Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes were not felled by the same hand - was distorted by my perception of the Emperor's dashing new outfit.

I will now, yet again, excuse myself from this thread.

Please, carry on!

Comment

• Excellent post Colin, only 15 female deaths by cut throat in 1888 IN THE WHOLE OF ENGLAND. Clearly a rare crime. Hardly the usually weekly occurance in Whitechapel that some envisage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garza View Post
        Excellent post Colin, only 15 female deaths by cut throat in 1888 IN THE WHOLE OF ENGLAND. Clearly a rare crime. Hardly the usually weekly occurance in Whitechapel that some envisage.
        I think one should look at things through the killers perspective. If for example JTR had killed Stride. In the absence of any mutilations the perception is that he was disturbed. Taking that onboard he would want to get away from the area as soon as possible and in doing so would as likely as not either gone to ground just in case he thought he may have been seen leaving the scene of the crime and a decscription of him given to the police. Or alternatively made his way as far away from Whitechapel as he could as quick as he could.

Its the same principle if you take a modern day night burglar if he get disturbed breaking into a house in the dead of night he runs off distancing himself from the scene of the crime and then blending into the night. Or he goes to ground in someones back garden and then comes out later when he thinks the coast is clear. He is not going to risk breaking into another house in the same area. They are possessed with fear. A fear of being caught.

Miter Square is hardly as far away as possible and to get there he would have run the risk of bumping into a policeman. I would imagine the last thing on the killers mind would be seeking out another victim. After all he had fulfilled his desire in killing stride if she was a ripper victim, and i belive she wasnt

As far as figures are concerned they can be interpreted in whatever way you want to interpret them. Coincidences do happen so it is unwise to rule the fact out that on that night coincodentally there were 2 different killers.

Comment

• Hello Trevor,

I agree with your conclusion regarding statistics (no matter how well they are presented). You are right that coicidences do happen and Jack either killed Stride or he didn't. Statistics can't change that.

I disagree however with you equating Jack with a burglar. A burglar might have a desire for money but I don't think that they are so controlled by that desire so that it overrides common sense and the fear of being caught. A serial killer is a completely different animal.

You say that Jack fulfilled his desire by killing Stride but we don't know if that is the case. If the killing was simply a means to an end with mutilation being the end, then no, he was not fulfilled and pursuing another victim while his blood lust was up would seem reasonable even with its inherent risks.

c.d.

Comment

• If he planned to kill two, he may have done exactly as what happened; kill the first with minimal damage, and destroy the second with the time allowed.
            I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
            Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
              I think one should look at things through the killers perspective. If for example JTR had killed Stride. In the absence of any mutilations the perception is that he was disturbed. Taking that onboard he would want to get away from the area as soon as possible and in doing so would as likely as not either gone to ground just in case he thought he may have been seen leaving the scene of the crime and a decscription of him given to the police. Or alternatively made his way as far away from Whitechapel as he could as quick as he could.

Trevor, it has been well documented that some serial killers will hunt for a 2nd victim that night, especially if the 1st one was botched. Ted Bundy at the top of my head.
              Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
              Its the same principle if you take a modern day night burglar if he get disturbed breaking into a house in the dead of night he runs off distancing himself from the scene of the crime and then blending into the night. Or he goes to ground in someones back garden and then comes out later when he thinks the coast is clear. He is not going to risk breaking into another house in the same area. They are possessed with fear. A fear of being caught.
              Apples and Oranges. The mind of a serial killer is different to that of a thief I am sure you agree?

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
              Miter Square is hardly as far away as possible and to get there he would have run the risk of bumping into a policeman. I would imagine the last thing on the killers mind would be seeking out another victim. After all he had fulfilled his desire in killing stride if she was a ripper victim, and i belive she wasnt

As far as figures are concerned they can be interpreted in whatever way you want to interpret them. Coincidences do happen so it is unwise to rule the fact out that on that night coincodentally there were 2 different killers.
              Lets look at these conincidences:

Both prostitutes
              Both murdered in a dark corner
              Both have their throats slit from left to right once
              Both have their throats slit on the ground on near enough to the ground to aovid blood spurting on clothing or the surrounding area
              Both killed in silence with little/no struggle
              Both scenes lack a murder weapon or any clues
              Both victims had objects in their hand or around their hands
              Both scenes high risk
              Both killed within the same hour
              Both killed within the same mile
              Both killed near jewish social clubs

All these coupled with the statistical facts that female throat slitting was rare order even in a place like Whitechapel dictates the likelyhood of two killers decreases.

The only verifiable difference is that Liz Stride had no abdominal mutilations. That is the only difference.

Of course their is a SLIM POSSIBILITY that there were two different killers, but the vast likelyhood is that they were done by the same killer.

Think honestly, if Liz Stride had a few slashes in her abdomen like Nichols, would we honestly be having this conversation?

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                Hello Trevor,

I agree with your conclusion regarding statistics (no matter how well they are presented). You are right that coicidences do happen and Jack either killed Stride or he didn't. Statistics can't change that.
                I agree c.d. that coincidences do happen, but the point of statistics is to work out how LIKELY/UNLIKELY coincidences are, given the data presented.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  Hello Trevor,

I disagree however with you equating Jack with a burglar. A burglar might have a desire for money but I don't think that they are so controlled by that desire so that it overrides common sense and the fear of being caught. A serial killer is a completely different animal.

You say that Jack fulfilled his desire by killing Stride but we don't know if that is the case. If the killing was simply a means to an end with mutilation being the end, then no, he was not fulfilled and pursuing another victim while his blood lust was up would seem reasonable even with its inherent risks.

c.d.
                  A burglar goes out to break into a house, a killer goes out to kill where is the difference.

I would suggest his blood lust was far from up, quite the contary more like his fear factor and wanting to get as far away as possible in the quickest time.

If no one saw the killer come out of the yard and he was disturbed where could he have gone. Scrambled away over fences and gardens at the rear of the yard, if that be the case again who knows who he might have come across doing that. In a hurry to get away no one deoes that quietly. Or could he have calmly walked into the Club through the back door and mingled with the members.

It seems as if in your replies you are trying to justify your beleif that Stride and Eddowes were killed by the same hand

I mentioned previous that if he killed Nicholls and Edowwes where was the ferocity in Stride.

He had time to cut the throat of Stride, how much longer would it have taken him to inflict a few more abdominal wounds with the knife, only a few seconds, By the time he had Stride where he wanted her he would have been fully fired up

Comment

• Or simply Trevor, BSM was in a 'Psychotic Episode' he cut Strides throat without any reason what so ever, apart from the voices of course...

Having killed her he thought better about having been seen, by Schwartz..

and Walked calmly back past Fanny Mortimers door..

reaching Commercial road and turning left at approx 12:49:30 am

and heading for Mitre sq, where BSM was seen by Lawende

All adds up doesnt it?

Pirate

Comment

• organisation

Hello Jeff. Well, this does add up better than most. But I'm wondering if, on your view, AK, in the midst of an episode, is actively seeking out another victim, or merely runs into Kate? He seems almost organised in your scenario and, if I properly understand the AK view, he is thought to be hebephrenic and hence disorganised.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                        Hello Jeff. Well, this does add up better than most. But I'm wondering if, on your view, AK, in the midst of an episode, is actively seeking out another victim, or merely runs into Kate? He seems almost organised in your scenario and, if I properly understand the AK view, he is thought to be hebephrenic and hence disorganised.

Cheers.
                        LC
                        Well its an interesting question..

But I also investigated the case of Sally Anne Bowman, that had some similarities.

Pirate

Comment

• verdict

Hello Jeff. And your verdict on Bowman?

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                            Or simply Trevor, BSM was in a 'Psychotic Episode' he cut Strides throat without any reason what so ever, apart from the voices of course...

Having killed her he thought better about having been seen, by Schwartz..

and Walked calmly back past Fanny Mortimers door..

reaching Commercial road and turning left at approx 12:49:30 am

and heading for Mitre sq, where BSM was seen by Lawende

All adds up doesnt it?

Pirate
                            Any scenario will do because no one knows. But the facts surrounding the murders do give us many clues.

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                              Hello Jeff. And your verdict on Bowman?

Cheers.
                              LC
                              She was murderer by a man in 'Psychotic episode' bought on by over indulgence in the use of modern 'Grass' or 'canabis' and to much 'cocaine'

The interesting piont of the case is two attacks in the same night, not far from each other and similar distance

Pirate
                              Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 06-21-2011, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                                Any scenario will do because no one knows. But the facts surrounding the murders do give us many clues.
                                Yes , i would agree..

Pirate

Comment

Working...
                                X