No announcement yet.

The Murder of Elizabeth Stride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's an interesting thought, Ben. One I hadn't considered before. Good to see you on a Stride thread!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
      With all the weird ideas being bandied about lately regarding the Berner Street cast, for all I know the latest interpretation puts Pipeman across from Dutfield's Yard with a semi-blind Schwartz not seeing him until his hat caught fire in the match flame.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      While I'd agree with you...we have two serious Ripperologists with different view pionts...

And given that, it should be considered seriously

Pirate

Comment

• Thanks, Tom. Always good to have a break from Miller's Court occasionally!

All the best,
        Ben

Comment

• Dutfield's Yard

Forgive me if the answer to what I'm asking is already established and also if I'm posting in the wrong thread but this is my first post and there's an awful lot of material in these message boards to wade through. My question is, does anyone know for certain the exact location of the entrance to Dutfield's Yard? I have spent some time recently wandering around what was Berner Street and on the East side there is only one three storey building that looks as if it may date from the 1888 period. Although it looks quite similar to the one shown in the 1909 picture (the IWEC) and the contemporary artists impressions it clearly had another similar building standing on its left as you look at it which has now been demolished so it can't be. Also there are decorative courses of blue bricks set into the red which don't show up in the 1909 photograph. My best guess is that the IWEC must have been more or less where the North end of Basil House is now IF it was on the East side of the street. Can anyone enlighten me?
          W

Comment

• Originally posted by Prosector View Post
            Forgive me if the answer to what I'm asking is already established and also if I'm posting in the wrong thread but this is my first post and there's an awful lot of material in these message boards to wade through. My question is, does anyone know for certain the exact location of the entrance to Dutfield's Yard? I have spent some time recently wandering around what was Berner Street and on the East side there is only one three storey building that looks as if it may date from the 1888 period. Although it looks quite similar to the one shown in the 1909 picture (the IWEC) and the contemporary artists impressions it clearly had another similar building standing on its left as you look at it which has now been demolished so it can't be. Also there are decorative courses of blue bricks set into the red which don't show up in the 1909 photograph. My best guess is that the IWEC must have been more or less where the North end of Basil House is now IF it was on the East side of the street. Can anyone enlighten me?
            We all seem to have ignored your first Casebook post, which you made some thirty days ago.

I would have gladly answered such a simple question, had I seen the post.

Northwestern Corner of Fairclough Street / Berner Street, Parish of St. George in the East (Click Image, to Enlarge in flickr)

Comment

• Originally posted by Colin Roberts View Post
              We all seem to have ignored your first Casebook post, which you made some thirty days ago.

I would have gladly answered such a simple question, had I seen the post.

Northwestern Corner of Fairclough Street / Berner Street, Parish of St. George in the East (Click Image, to Enlarge in flickr)
              I visited the Jack the Ripper locations for the first time in January.

Was amazed at how short Berner Street actually is, thought it would be twice as long for some reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garza
                Was amazed at how short Berner Street actually is, thought it would be twice as long for some reason.
                Hi Garza. Are you referring to the entirety of Berner Street (i.e. from Commercial to Backchurch lane) or just the part that runs from Commercial Rd to Fairclough St.?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Garza. Are you referring to the entirety of Berner Street (i.e. from Commercial to Backchurch lane) or just the part that runs from Commercial Rd to Fairclough St.?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                  Hey Tom, sorry should have been more specific, I meant the part from Commercial Rd to Fairclough Street.

From maps and pictures I thought that part of the street would be longer, but it really isn't, its quite a short (part of the) street.

Comment

• Barber's in Berner st.

Hi everyone, as I've said before I grew up in the East End, in the late 70s, I visited Berner st, curious about the Whitechapel murder's I went to cut my hair in a barber shop which was then located on the opposite side to Harry gosling primary school, I remember there was a barber's, a newsagent,and a fruit and veg shop, above the shops there were dwellings,mainly ocupied by elderly jews, I use to get the impression that there was close netted community atmosphere as everyone seemed to know each other, that was not rare as the same in the street where I lived, we all knew each other.

The reason I went to cut my hair at this barber's, was because I had heard in the area that this barber's shop had somthing to do with the murder's. When I sat on in the barber's chair and he started cutting I asked him what did this barber's shop have to do with the murder's, he answered apparently one of the suspect of the murder's had worked as a barber there,I can't remember if he told me a name, he also told me that one of the victim's had been murdered in this street " I know" I told him. Was it Kozminski or was it Chapman ? or maybe none, and there was no connection with the barber shop and the murder's,all the best, Agur.

Comment

• Hi Niko. And you're sure you're not thinking of the Chapman murder site, which was located behind a barber shop? However, I think that shop closed in the 60's. So, perhaps Matthew Packer's old residence had become a barber shop by the 70's? That would be awesome if you got your hair cut in Packer's place.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

So, perhaps Matthew Packer's old residence had become a barber shop by the 70's? That would be awesome if you got your hair cut in Packer's place.
                        Now, now Tom. You know perfectly well that Packer's shop was demolished decades earlier. There was, though, a barbershop on nearby Ellen Street shown here in the 1930s with a severed head in the window.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ellen st barber 1930.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	662612
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• ...and with two signs, saying "Haircutting" and "Hair Cuttng". One wonders what the difference was. Perhaps, though, the severed head had the answer ...?

The best,
                          Fisherman

Comment

• You get your hair cut when you get a haircut.

Best wishes,
                            Steve.

Comment

• shaky

Hello Stephen.

"There was, though, a barbershop on nearby Ellen Street shown here in the 1930s with a severed head in the window."

Hmmm, I have known barbers with shaky hands shaving people, but this . . . ?

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Why is there a chap from Greyfriars School standing extreme right? What was he doing in the East End?

Comment

Working...
                                X