No announcement yet.

Photo of Liz Stride in 1872

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a very peculiar Blog. It's use of English is unusual. I think one of the best lines has to be

Some Historians believe it was the devil himself.

Comment

Just reading annies story i feel so sorry for her it is truly sad how she lived.

Thanks for posting that belinda.

Comment

I thought this was a post about a Liz Stride photo. How come Annie has been added to it?

Comment

Hello coral!

Well, the blog we are talking about, contains "younghood photos" of all C5, except MJK!

All the best
          Jukka
          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Actually, the photos of the supposed young Liz and the actual dead Liz correspond quite well. There is a marked resemblance: the features line up, the cheekbones and temples match, and the characteristics of her ears match. The ears are very hard to pass the test. The only real differences are in dead Liz's sagging jaw and lips, which are from her position, age, and toothlessness. That being said, Young Liz is hardly 29. This girl looks about 15 or less. In fact, she looks pretty much like me at 15. The photo is not modern. I would imagine that it is actually older than 1872, probably late 1850s, based on the dress and hair. Until the 1860s, girls had their hair cut short and blunt until they reached maturity. I think our blogger spends a lot of time searching for old pics that resemble our victims' morgue shots.
            Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

Originally posted by SaraCarter33 View Post
              Just reading annies story i feel so sorry for her it is truly sad how she lived.

Thanks for posting that belinda.
              Thank You SaraCarter

Whoever it is has done some research.The clothes and hair style in the photo of Lis are typical of the 1860's though. It looks like a posed studio photo that so many people had taken at the time.

The one of Polly though is early 1890s judging by the puff sleeves also the background looks more like natural light

Comment

I'd be most grateful if anyone could point me to previous discussions about the 'other' Stride photo from post #22 on this thread.
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Stephen. Read post #24. It's not a real photo. And 'young Liz' looks absolutely nothing like Liz Stride. I hope no one falls for this nonsense.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    And 'young Liz' looks absolutely nothing like Liz Stride.
                    Hello Tom

Yes, I believe it's actually a picture of Jennifer Sheldon in a funky pullover that's been Photoshopped into black and white. The other photo deserves some discussion though so I'll start a new thread about it.

See you over there.
                    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                      Hi Stephen. Read post #24. It's not a real photo. And 'young Liz' looks absolutely nothing like Liz Stride. I hope no one falls for this nonsense.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

young Liz is kinda fit compared to the real person and from that I knew instantly it couldn't be her.

Comment

photo

I have to believe it's a fake but further on Belinda comments about the photo being a posed studio shot from the 1860s. In fact almost all studio shots were posed and the "victims" of these shots if standing were set against uincomfortable stands designed to limit movement as the photos take some time to take. I actually sat for a glass plate a few years ago and can attest that through experience.
                        Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Addenda

Originally posted by YankeeSergeant View Post
                          I have to believe it's a fake but further on Belinda comments about the photo being a posed studio shot from the 1860s. In fact almost all studio shots were posed and the "victims" of these shots if standing were set against uincomfortable stands designed to limit movement as the photos take some time to take. I actually sat for a glass plate a few years ago and can attest that through experience.
                          I should have added my reason for believingthe photo was fake was based on the fact that Mrs. Stride in 1872 wasn't in the best of circumstances true at that point she was running a coffee shop with her husband but her situation took a turn dramatically for the worse between 1872 and 1877. My second reason is more a gut reaction than based in solid fact but it seems to me that if pictures of any of the victims were to come out they would have been found by one of the many fine researchers that have investigated these crimes over the years. The only photo I believe that exists of the victims in life is the wedding photo of Annie Chapman though I freely admit I may be mistaken about that. Neil
                          Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Working...
                          X