No announcement yet.

Photo of Liz Stride in 1872

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can tell by the clothes. Those women aren't poor.

Who the hell put that site up

Comment

Hello you all!

Indeed, young "Liz" looks like Glenda Jackson!

Maybe Jack the Ripper looked like Michael Jackson?1

All right, more seriously;

1. The Polly's morgue photo cannot define her features. But the woman in the photo doesn't match the contemporary sketches!

2. No reason to talk about Annie's photos. But there has never been as long as I have been on these boards, first just a casual visitor since 2004 and a real member since 2006!

3. Well, my comment about the Liz photo can be read above!

4. No match to the morgue photo of Catherine Eddowes or the contemporary sketches!

5. The blog's creator was witty enough not to present a "never-seen-before" photo of MJK!

All the best
      Jukka

(PS, Belinda; Yes indeed. But, I suppose, they were intended to be a presentation of their honourable days!)
      "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

From the days before they were Fallen Women.

I wonder if the Glenda Jackson look a like was deliberate.

Although superficially she does look like Lis but Lis has finer bone structure for a start and Glenda has stick straight hair.

Comment

Quote from Liz Stride : "All men are fools and what makes them so is having beauty like what I have got."

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            Quote from Liz Stride : "All men are fools and what makes them so is having beauty like what I have got."
            Surely that's a line from the late Ernie Wise's play about the Ripper murders?

Comment

Exactly, Chris. Nice to see I'm not the only fan of highbrow literature on the boards.

Comment

Another Liz?

I don't recall seeing this one posted before.
                Attached Files
                "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Hi Dr Watson,

I've always assumed this is a waxwork of Liz, presumably copied from the mortuary photo. I've never been able to find out any more information about it. I've had it on file for years, as a curiousity, but could never source it. Hopefully someone will have some info on it.

I must say though, it's not a bad likeness at all.

Jane

xxxxx
                  I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Hello Jane. I cropped the "Stride" photo from a larger one of a page from a book, possibly titled "More Murder," which I found on the Internet. Incidently, the other lady in the photo is Elizabeth Short, the "Black Dahlia" victim. Since there's no connection between the two other than the fact both were famous murder victims, I assume the book must be a true crime compendium of some sort. Like you, I think the woman in the image does bear some resemblence to Stride, but the white background is suspicious - and at this point, there's no provenance.
                    Attached Files
                    "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                    Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Hello Dr. John Watson!

Well, in fact, the backround looks similar both in the "Stride" and in the "Eddowes" blog photo!

in the "Polly" photo the backround looks different. Hopefully it could be traceable enough to track down the original chacacter!

All the best
                      Jukka
                      "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hi,

I'm pretty certain that the little pic of Liz from the More Murder book isn't a cut out from a photograph, but that it was actually photographed against a very pale background. The outline of the hair is extremely detailed and natural. It is possible to get a good cut-out like that in Photoshop, but it's a bugger of a job.

I would think that the figure would have to have been upright, because if it was horizontal there would be shadows under the neck and head. Instead, there is a bright patch of light on the right hand side of her face. That's why I think it's almost certainly a waxwork.

I really would be interested to find out it's source though, because it's been bugging me for years!

Much love

Jane

xxxxx
                        I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Hello

Stride`s throat wound tailed off a couple of inches under the right angle of the jaw, unlike the given picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Coram View Post
                            Instead, there is a bright patch of light on the right hand side of her face. That's why I think it's almost certainly a waxwork.
                            Hello Jane,

Agreed. Seems like the light reflection of the flash from the camera, seemingly on a very smooth surface. Wax seems very plausible to me.

best wishes

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                            Accountability? ....

Comment

Sure looks like Bjorn Borg to me.

Don.
                              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Hi, everyone.

I wonder if the book Dr. John Watson refers to above might be a 1939 work by William Roughead called 'Murder and More Murder'.
                                Roughead was an amateur criminologist and 'True Crime' writer.

Best regards,
                                Archaic

Comment

Working...
                                X